Layout advice please - BEFORE I HAVE A FART !

Lord Ferguson

Question

Being sensible for a moment (makes a change I here you say !) - I have just installed this table top for my new layout.? My original idea was (is) to build modular units (500x500 or 1000x500) and lay them on top of this board.? The other thing I'm thinking is shall I just build straight onto this top.

I liked the idea of being able to have a move round with the modular idea... but It will make fencing and gates and things difficult I suppose... What do you think lads - I would appreciate your help - board is 1100x1600 by the way. - Many thanks

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The idea i had Marky, was to have one or two buildings, and fence around them, like FP said, that way you don't have to worry about loads of fencing :)

I'll try and explain with pictures when i pop over next! :) :)

Thanks Chaps - I have made the layout board with a 100mm gap around the edges as I'm using 500x500 squares for the layout - I was thinking I could build a margin around the edge with fencing on (if that makes sense) - I really want my whole farm fenced and gated at the front if I can.  Another Q for you - I am wanting a yard in the middle and a roadway too it - Thinking about routing out the centre to act as a kind of dropped kerb effect - what do you reckon - I want to introduce some style of 3d to it if I can - what does everybody else do  ???

Thanks Chaps - I have made the layout board with a 100mm gap around the edges as I'm using 500x500 squares for the layout - I was thinking I could build a margin around the edge with fencing on (if that makes sense) - I really want my whole farm fenced and gated at the front if I can.? Another Q for you - I am wanting a yard in the middle and a roadway too it - Thinking about routing out the centre to act as a kind of dropped kerb effect - what do you reckon - I want to introduce some style of 3d to it if I can - what does everybody else do? ???

sounds good, wouldn't it be a bit to much though as you would need to do the whole road and yard??? ??? i was just gonna paint it and use the railway style gravel though on mine :)

When we did ours we put styrofoam on top of the plywood. This makes it easy to go "below ground level" just cut into the styrofoam. It's handy for ditches and contours, you can also put trees and gateposts etc. in by pushing nails into the base of the trees and then inserting them into the styrofoam. It does away with those annoying bases.

as if!!!? :D :D :D

fencing will be a tricky one though if your gonna move it around :-\ :-\

mines all based arround a yard section so the only joins are in the centres of that,the sides are hidden by bushes/weeds and when i get round to it,a scaleoox wall will enclose the whole perimiter,with built in gates