Making things with Brass rod/pipe - Method tips please

Lord Ferguson

Question

Hello Boys...

I'm wanting to make small brass things (out of pipe/rod probably) - And I haven't got a clue how to attach them together - I assume it is solder that you use - Can anyone give me the benefit of their wisdom please and explain the following;

1. How do you attach things together (is it solder or something else)

2. What equipment will I need to get me started (Do you need a special solder/iron etc.)

3. Assuming it is solder - a few pointers on how to do it - How hot etc etc.

I'm hoping to start with a 5 bar gate from tubing if you don't think that's a little ambitious for a first attempt.

24 answers to this question

Thanks boys.... - Going by this from FP...

you use brass rod then powerstar?,i was told to use silver solder by the local hobbies shop,so i would join by soldering not welding/brazing like you do,mm,will have to see how the solder option comes  out first ,then maybe try your way

Silver solder for brass, brass rod for mild steel. 

Do I need to solder then and not braze  ???

Thanks boys.... - Going by this from FP...

you use brass rod then powerstar?,i was told to use silver solder by the local hobbies shop,so i would join by soldering not welding/brazing like you do,mm,will have to see how the solder option comes? out first ,then maybe try your way

Silver solder for brass, brass rod for mild steel.?

Do I need to solder then and not braze? ???

Mmmm, that was TM.  ::) ::)::)

Its a long time since I've done any Mark, silver solder is stronger and you seem to get a better finish too. Try some normal solder first as that will be easier, its the same sort of principal with each, ie; clean all surfaces, add heat and flux etc..... the silver solder requires more heat though.

Thanks Doc - what are the disadvantages of using normal solder - is it a weaker join? ???

Yes, it should do for what you want though...... I think TM has just done some soldering on his combine, not sure what he has used.  :-\

i can,for the brass rod i just solder it,using normal eletrical solder and a iron,sometimes superglue it to if theres a few joins in close proximity,after powerstars post i did check at the local hobbie shop and that was the cheapest way the suggested,one of them uses this method on the sclae trains he builds ,for fine work and brazes like powerstar for the bigger stuff

hope that helps

Try a model shop again Mark.  Carrs do a specific solder for brass along with a specific flux.  I believe it uses a higher temperature than normal electrical type solder.  You could always look at the adds in Railway Modeller in Smith's Lending Library!

yeah there is a better solder avaiable,which they said you need a mini blow torch flame for when soldering,as it is a higher temp ment,but they did say it was a lot more expensive compaired to a soldering iron and normal solder,especially for fine work ,also the heat can warp smaller gauge rod ect,was the other factor they said to consider

The idea of Carr's solders is that you use them with an ordinary soldering iron, though it might need to be a powerful one.  It's Carr's 224 solder which I think means 224 degrees Celcius.  See  http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Carrs_Solders___Fluxes___etc_189.html&CatalogBody