Give me back my Scania...

Deere-est

Would be interesting to find out why the trailer came off... whether a worn ring or ineffective PUH latch.... the latch was sticking on our 6030 I noticed the other day, it wouldn't always return to lock position on it's own... 5 minutes with a screwdriver to clean it out and WD40 round the mech and it pings like a new one.... it's too easy to rely on the lift arms holding a trailer on a PUH but it can so easily drop a couple of inches and bounce off.... more care needed.... I don't think that farmer's sentence is too lenient for failing to do something so simple which has led to such disastrous consequences....

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defective autolatch, worn or broken. Worn tag on handle, no dog clip locking it in place. Worn pin causing fore and aft movement and thus rocking on the latch. Possibly even the weld surrounding the pin failing if the trailer was shortened and the pin repositioned. The kind of thing a commercial lorry MOT would have picked u.

going by the pictures simon it was a old artic on a dolly, the dollys still on the tractor, so it can't be deffective ring or puh latch, ?

Ah, I didn't see pictures.... ta Sean.... was a really big trailer then... I hate those dolly things.... lethal when they're working properly if you ask me.... fine on a 5th wheel but double jointed behind a tractor... no way....

Defective autolatch, worn or broken. Worn tag on handle, no dog clip locking it in place. Worn pin causing fore and aft movement and thus rocking on the latch. Possibly even the weld surrounding the pin failing if the trailer was shortened and the pin repositioned. The kind of thing a commercial lorry MOT would have picked u.

if its a artic trailer but on a dolly would it need to be mot'd then tris?? afterall, whats to stop it being hitched up and run ona wagon?? even for a small trip

Any commercial trailer needs an MOT, Sean. No excuses at all. So if this trailer was in the commercial/haulage industry the likelihood of this happening would have been even more rare than what has happened here with an untested trailer working within the agricultural industry.

sorry tris i worded my reply bit wrong mate, i ment although its agri use, theres nothing to stop them putting it on a lorry, therefore should it be tested  as a artic wagon anyway???? old farmer giles could easily pop it on even if it was a 5 mile trip to the other yard?? 

I see what you are driving at Sean.. if it's 'plated' for Ag use then does it need any ticket at all... I guess, as we don't need a current MOT on our trailers we use now then the same would apply.. PROVIDED it conforms to the published criteria for Ag use

sorry tris i worded my reply bit wrong mate, i ment although its agri use, theres nothing to stop them putting it on a lorry, therefore should it be tested  as a artic wagon anyway? ??? old farmer giles could easily pop it on even if it was a 5 mile trip to the other yard??

Only if the airbrakes are still in place and have the right couplings. Although not stopping anyone from initially coupling it up, the law would come down heavily if the driver of a lorry with this kind of trailer were caught up with.

ah so thats how they get round it then, by removing the brakes its test exempt , werid, as they could eaisly pop it on for a quick trip afterall,  would have thought any artic trailer, no matter what use agri or haulage should be tested, that way that accident would never have happened, the short term gain will always be the first reason for doing it, 10 min lorry trip, or 30 min tractor trip, even on small b roads ect,

i think ex lorry trailers are bad news, i hate seeing them towed behind a tractor  most only have the towing dolly braked, and then you see them being dragged around by a tele-handler.

about 4 years ago a lorry driver at Omex had a BT van hit him head on going along the A11, the pin sheared off the empty tanker sending it through the back of the cab, the BT driver had fallen asleep and died instantly, driver of the lorry escaped with a few broken bones badly bruised, the tanker had not long been tested.

Yet we still see tractors hauling loads and trailers on that terrible hook and eye puh with no testing on trailers, tractors or stricter driver regulations, with Fastracs travelling the same speed as a lorry.

i argee, ex artic trailers aint good news, most get overloaded,well ones i have seen, no proper brakes on them, and poor ly looked after dollys, am i right in saying that a 40ft artic trailer loaded with 2 full lines on the bottom, and another two lines above that, inbetween the curves of the bales, would more than likely be overweight???

i whitnessed a artic rig on the back of a telehanlder a few years back 3 bales high, and when he turned the corner behind me i must confess i got up and watched him as it didnt look very stable or safe at all, actually got me worried seeing as they would have come my way

I'm sure I am not the only one sitting here thinking past this debate to the fact that some poor person has lost their lives in this horrific accident.  My thoughts are obviously with the families that are left behind to pick up the pieces of this tradgedy.

I know I won't be using a trailer that's poorly maintained or defective on any of my pieces of equipment - regardless of how much money I could save or make in doing so  :-\ >:(

I've always believed that things happen for a reason... I'm taking away from this a better understanding of quite how lethal our equipment can be.  We all forget about the 'physics' involved until something like this happens

ah so thats how they get round it then, by removing the brakes its test exempt , werid, as they could eaisly pop it on for a quick trip afterall,  would have thought any artic trailer, no matter what use agri or haulage should be tested, that way that accident would never have happened, the short term gain will always be the first reason for doing it, 10 min lorry trip, or 30 min tractor trip, even on small b roads ect,

::) No but it wouldn't have any brakes it they wern't there or wern't compatible with the lorry towing it. You been on the Wagners again, Sean?!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm sure I am not the only one sitting here thinking past this debate to the fact that some poor person has lost their lives in this horrific accident.  My thoughts are obviously with the families that are left behind to pick up the pieces of this tradgedy.

I know I won't be using a trailer that's poorly maintained or defective on any of my pieces of equipment - regardless of how much money I could save or make in doing so  :-\ >:(

I've always believed that things happen for a reason... I'm taking away from this a better understanding of quite how lethal our equipment can be.  We all forget about the 'physics' involved until something like this happens

Absolutely Mark. It's easy driving around with the radio, air con, heater on at what is first thought of a slow vehicle but the damage a vehicle can do by bad operation or poor maintenance can be irreversible - which brings this topic right back to the initial post I started with.

well said Mark, years ago not sure whether it was my lack of wisdom but trailer safety wasnt high on the list of priorities, i think driving a Mog and working close with lorry drivers as i did in my last job it makes you realise the way tractors, trailers and machinery are used on public roads is frightening.

I hope other members on here take a different more positive approach to all road work they may do especially with Ag machinery.