Grain stores and dryers

JC

Question

I'm a fish arss farmer..........I wait for the grain to drop down to 13% before I combine,that way I save on drying. ;);D

You'd be a long time waiting for that in the UK mate ;), our summers usually consist of three fine days and a thunderstorm, by the time the moisture dropped the black clouds would be gathering. :'(

Heres the pictures of our grainstore as promised. It is a bulk store holding between 500 and 600 tonnes each side. The floor is a raised wooden floor with galvanised vent slats for drying and cooling. Sorry if its not very clear but there was alot of dust floating about in there at the time!!

post-334-132638507199_thumb.jpg

Here's one of the diesel engined blower we use for drying the grain or cooling it down if it comes in warm. It has a 6 cylinder Ford engine on it and to be honest is getting very unreliable and needs replacing. The fan is about 3 feet across and we were told that if you parked a double decker bus at the other end of the drying tunnel it would blow it over if you had the tunnel door open.

post-334-132638507209_thumb.jpg

Heres one of the store taken from the front, shows the 2 sides which are split by a central tunnel, the fan blows the air down the tunnel and then through ducts which we open and close depending on how full the store is or which part of the store we wish to blow. Each duct covers a 3 foot strip across the width of the store (approx 30')

post-334-132638507265_thumb.jpg

Thanks for those Gavin, they will be a big help...... I'm beggining to realise that you don't need a great big whopping drying plant to cope wih the large tonnage of grain coming in from a big cutting fleet..... quite simply tip it in the barn/store and let the fans do the work.

anything to help. We have 2 stores like this, the 3rd one is a wierd bin storage system, didn't have camera with me when i was over there this morning. It throws the grain into open bins using conveyers and elevators feeding an electric blower head, tis a pain in the ar$e as it struggles to keep up with our Lexion 460 in good wheat

here you go doc,couple of the ones from down here,not as big as gavins first one is about 25m x 15 m heated by the old fordson in the lean to ,they run a pto driven lecy generator of it as the barns are in an old quarry right out in the middle of no where,powers a similar heater to gavins,via under floor piping i think,second smaller one is 15m x 10 m and has an auger pit built in so they unload at the rear below the floor level,hope these help

post-46-13263850737_thumb.jpg

post-46-132638507384_thumb.jpg