60 km/h tractors

harvey123

you probably know what im going to say!!!! didnt you bother looking at a Mog? they may be dearer than a Fastrac but you get a higher spec machine more suited to road work that will always hold its value better than a Fastrac ;)

a mog would be perfect but,

it's to much money to sit doing little during the winternapart from abit of gritting,

although it's much better option and we have thought about it and we have tryedone in the summer but it was useless you cant do any of the small tasks and also when you've got a trailer on the back they seem very numb! ;)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And can you adjust the suspension as well to alter the ride hieght. Like a load compensator type thing?

no although you can fit bigger springs or you can fit a smaller spring inside the original to alter the load.

Its one of those machines that once youve driven and worked on one you just love em ;)

The way in which theyre used to tow in Germany is totally different to the UK, sadly alot of people dismiss them on the fact they dont look like a tractor :(

a mog would be perfect but,

it's to much money to sit doing little during the winternapart from abit of gritting,

although it's much better option and we have thought about it and we have tryedone in the summer but it was useless you cant do any of the small tasks and also when you've got a trailer on the back they seem very numb! ;)

they may seem expensive but theres always a market for used Mogs in any condition. Which model did you try and who from?????????

Good job your having fastracs, uprating a massey to 60k is asking for trouble. If you were to go down a hill with a load on and the momentum takes you up the nearly 70k then the tractor shuts down. And this is true because i know someone that it happened to.

correct me if im wrong but you shouldnt be going down a hill flat out ? you should be pullin down the gears to hold the tractor back and not leaving her run away ! my boss saw you doing that you'd be down the road

correct me if im wrong but you shouldnt be going down a hill flat out ? you should be pullin down the gears to hold the tractor back and not leaving her run away ! my boss saw you doing that you'd be down the road

Well I know that aswell as you do rich. But some people round here go flat out everywhere to keep up with the combine and when they have 15t on its not a good combination

Unbelievable (insert shake head smiley if we had one!)....

And then some people wonder why there is a move to have tractors and trailers subject to an annual MOT.

And wonder why there have been calls for tractor drivers to be subject to a full LGV test.

And wonder why many of the public at large perceive farmers and their equipment as being a danger on the road.

....Unbelievable!

The UK speed limit for agricultural tractors on the highway is 20 miles per hour - this limit exists for a reason; it is not outdated as the braking systems on even the most modern tractors and trailers are generally not up to the job of stopping at higher speed.  Above this you may be liable to a FPN and points on your driving licence (I know of one specific instance in Lincs this summer where two tractor drivers were cautioned by traffic police for travelling at 24mph)

If you want to exceed 20mph you must fit full independent suspension to both tractor and trailer/trailed implement, dual line braking (with suitably efficient brakes) and the axles (and tyres) on both must be rated to cope with the higher speeds.

Or just get a suitable tractor/trailer in the first place, but even the Fastrac is only legal up to 40mph.

i see you say the limit is 20 mph,then you say if you want to exceed 20 mph you give all the details of what you need to do,bit of a contradiction there,yes the law is 20 mph but at harvest time there is a lot of pressure on,the fendts i drive have exhaust brakes and that helps tremendously,but even at 50 kph they throttle down automaticly

i see you say the limit is 20 mph,then you say if you want to exceed 20 mph you give all the details of what you need to do,bit of a contradiction there,yes the law is 20 mph but at harvest time there is a lot of pressure on,the fendts i drive have exhaust brakes and that helps tremendously,but even at 50 kph they throttle down automaticly

There is no contradiction whatsoever - 20mph is the limit for a standard agricultural tractor, no ifs or buts.  Addition of suspension, uprated brakes etc is not standard, but is what would be necessary to legally travel faster.

Using the excuse of 'there is a lot of pressure on' is frankly, just not good enough, and exhaust brakes don't make it permissable to travel at an illegal speed.  If you travel on the road with a tractor at 50kph, you are a pillock in my opinion.

I'm sorry but to have a suspended rear axle of a tractor I cant see it makes any difference in tractors really as often they'll never do larger distance's as longer then 40 miles (round-trip) from base and your not making any money full stop and having used properly specced safe kit as in dual line air brakes, abs, exhaust brakes, suspended axle + cab, front axle brakes at 50k and yes up to a all up weight of 35tons (off road) I could stop a hell of a lot faster then similar weighted artic.  I cant see why law cant be changed with tractor and trailer MOT's to say 32+ton and 50K,d plus the law is out of date full stop, if lorry's where still running by laws from 60years ago there'd be uproar! So we might as well just run MF 135 with 4 ton trailers and no brakes and be bankrupt and still unsafe!  Now I will say for farmers that run tractors just for haulage buy a lorry as can buy flotation tyres etc for 8 wheelers and make it hookloader so more versatile the kiwi's have got it sussed on that part, but for us with tractors doing max 200hrs or so carting at harvest and in some horid conditions lorrys are out full stop!

lets just face it, nobody sticks to the legal limit all the time do they.

situation :

quiet roads, 12 miles from field to farm, harvesting potatoes, rain due in a few hours, 40 acres left to go with 3 harvesters. if you dont get finished quickly the potatoes will go to waste

now try and tell me that a driver hauling spuds in that situation is going to stick to 20 especially with an empty trailer

when it a situation like this the farmer will take the risk otherwise he will be losing money

lets just face it, nobody sticks to the legal limit all the time do they.

situation :

quiet roads, 12 miles from field to farm, harvesting potatoes, rain due in a few hours, 40 acres left to go with 3 harvesters. if you dont get finished quickly the potatoes will go to waste

now try and tell me that a driver hauling spuds in that situation is going to stick to 20 especially with an empty trailer

when it a situation like this the farmer will take the risk otherwise he will be losing money

EXACTLY!!! well said  ;)

does that mean then every manufacturer is breaking the law of speed?? sure what about these 40km/hr claas combines? ???

I would love to see the look on the face of the police officer if you said that to him.

As has been said cars can do in excess of the speed limit but it does not mean you drive a car at its top speed does it ::)

As for the "Pressures of harvest" disagree fully with that statement you are the one in the tractor and if you are stopped it is you who get the points on your licence and if you are under 17 that means when you pass you full car test you will have the 6 points which you have for the first 2 years of your driving career and another 3 from your speeding in a tractor so only 3 points then licence no more and retake your test. Another thing to bear in mind if you were to have an accident and it could be proved that the accident occured due to your negligence as operator of the vechicle it could be more than points you are looking at.

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Farmer-jailed-after-tractor-trailer.6392832.jp

At the end of the day it is your choice if you drive above speed limit but I know of several people who drive lorries who have been asked to run bent and have told them no and in 2 cases actually turned down the job. On friend of mine his dad is a HGV mechanic and was asked to remove speed limiters from lorries he refused and quit as he would never do anything like that that could result in a serious accident.

There is no contradiction whatsoever - 20mph is the limit for a standard agricultural tractor, no ifs or buts.  Addition of suspension, uprated brakes etc is not standard, but is what would be necessary to legally travel faster.

Using the excuse of 'there is a lot of pressure on' is frankly, just not good enough, and exhaust brakes don't make it permissable to travel at an illegal speed.  If you travel on the road with a tractor at 50kph, you are a pillock in my opinion.

of course theres a contradiction,if the limit is 20 then its 20,whats the point in you saying if you want to go faster  than 20  fit this and fit that ,think about what your saying,also if you were corn or maize carting and you stuck to to 20 mph you wouldnt be employed for very long,

its quite easy to write on here that we should stick to the speed limit,how many that are posting in this topic actually drive tractors,not all i bet,it would take a very brave employee to say to his boss he was a long time getting back to the combine waiting to unload that he stuck to 20 mph,