Tractor theft.......again

how many people take the route of storing the derv tank indoors now then??? i know of one guy that does , its in a bunded corner in a all steel building purpose built , only issues he has filling up are the combine / forager due to the building size ,so he just drags a bowser for them, i know he has been done at least 5 or 6 times previous, the sods drive in along a track from the main road, into the back of the yard unseen ,he gated it all off ect and they just removed the gates . but this seems to have stopped the problem now

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many people take the route of storing the derv tank indoors now then??? i know of one guy that does , its in a bunded corner in a all steel building purpose built , only issues he has filling up are the combine / forager due to the building size ,so he just drags a bowser for them, i know he has been done at least 5 or 6 times previous, the sods drive in along a track from the main road, into the back of the yard unseen ,he gated it all off ect and they just removed the gates . but this seems to have stopped the problem now

Some do but not many because insurance companiea do not always like it. Metal tanks are on their way out dye to ultra low sulphur diesel having a bacteria which can multiply in metal tanks but not in newer plastic/gdp tanks.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to have to bring this up again but Essex and Hertfordshire seem to suffering from a spate of telehandler thefts, there have been 12 since the New Year and whilst not all will be from farms they are obviously the vehicle of choice at the moment.

If anyone wants full details I do have registration numbers, chassis numbers and where they were stolen from and I can post the full list if required.

Any information in the first instance to rural.crime@avcis.pnn.police.uk or if you prefer, to me and I can pass it on anonymously.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned; but bearing in mind the value of modern farm machinery; wouldn't it be a good idea to fit trackers to farm machinery. We have trackers fitted to our tankers so that our office can see exactly where they are at any time.

We recently had a Daf 85 stolen after our forecourt closed at around 9:30pm. The theft was discovered at around 11pm. I was contacted about the theft and contacted my employers, who immediately fired up their computer and its location pinpointed in minutes. It was back in our yard by

4 am

We bought them from a company called Simply Trak and they are very easy to fit. All they need is a supply and earth from the battery and a connection to the ignition. You can even tell on the computer in the office, whether the engine is running. The downfall of this system is if the battery is disconnected it will only show the last location of the machine when the battery was disconnected. However, there is a away round that too. You can fit a small motorcycle backup battery supplied from the main one via diodes. This will stop the main circuits from trying to backfeed off the backup battery. This will keep your tracker working even when the main battery is disconnected; leading you straight to the thieves.

The truck we had stolen was recovered with the dash badly damaged in an attempt to find out whether a tracker was fitted. It was actually fitted behind the panel they didn't remove.

The unit is small enough to hide in the roof casing of a machine and has an aerial the size of a dessert spoon which has to be hidden either behind glass or fibreglass to allow the antenna to see the four+ sattelites it uses to get a fix.

Who knows, you could get your machine back and catch the thieves too!

http://www.simplytrak.co.uk/about-simplytrak.asp

This is their website. The tracker works constantly and doesn't have to be activated like some tracking systems. Just turn on your computer and it will tell you where your vehicles are. Fit them yourself, hide it and its transmitter / receiver anywhere it wont easily be found and sleep soundly at night. We have been using them for about 5 years now.

• 2 weeks later...

Overnight on the 19th – 20th March 2012 a Claas Axion 810 was stolen from AYLSHAM in Norfolk. The tractor is valued at £106000. Attached to the rear of the tractor was a £12000 slurry injector, this was a bespoke item made up on a FARM WRITE subsoiler.

Registration number AY11CNA

• 4 weeks later...

Stolen from Crewkerne in Somerset between 9th and 10th April 2012, a Kubota All Terrain Vehicle (RTV900) reg number HF11FLJ, VIN number RTV900MR70922

Any information to Sgt 2728 Moore Avon and Somerset Police, 0117 9455452

On 12th April a Massey Ferguson 6480 Dyna 6 reg number RX57RPV chassis number S320012 was reported stolen from Henley on Thames, Oxon.

Any information to fib@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk or intell@avcis.pnn.police.uk

Some are recovered especially if they are fitted with some kind of tracking device but many simply vanish. The theory is that they are shipped across to eastern Europe in containers as there is a booming second hand market for good farm machinery.

Its just sad to see that there are always people trying to make a living the easy way on the backs of people who have to work hard for survival. Insurance premiums must reflect this .

I used to be able to live in a house that was never locked....now you have to chain everything and put some kind of tracking device on anything valuable enough to justify it.

What I finf the worst (at least here in Canada: that the criminals seem to have more rights than we do)

this is a story from about 10 years ago in my area here:

a farmer went to check on his heifers in the pasture only to notice a car parked in his pasture so he checked furthjer and found a couple of guys that had shot one of his heifers and where slaughtering it right there in his field. So he slashed the four tires of their car and called the police. The police duly arrested the guys. Everything seemed to turn out for the right, until the case went to court: the thieves were ordered to pay for the heifers but of course could not comply since they had no assets or money. No jail time was given. But the farmer had to pay the thieves for 4 brand new tires.... :(

I do not think that this kind of punishment does particulrly discourage thieves from doing it again. We live in a strange world.

• 2 weeks later...

On 26th April a John Deere 7930 was stolen from Ramsay in Cambridgeshire however, this tractor was later found damaged and abandoned.

On 29th April 2 John Deeres were stolen from Sutterton, Lincolnshire

FX60EDC and FX09DVC, I do not have the model numbers at this time.

On a slightly more positive note a number of John Deere tractors have recently been recovered from Eastern Poland all of which were stolen in the same Lincolnshire area

FX60EDC and FX09DVC, I do not have the model numbers at this time.

They are both Auto-power 6930's, one on row crops the other on more standard wheels.They also took a 6330 standard although this was found in one of our fields on Sunday. One of the 69's was hitched to a grimme destoner. They removed this by cutting the bolts off.

• 1 month later...

A bit more good news.

Over the weekend a large dumper was stolen from Scotland and observations were passed nationwide. On Sunday an off duty Lancashire Police Officer saw the HGV and it's load on the M6 and followed it onto Poplars 2000 truck stop, he called the Police who attended and identified it as the dumper that had been stolen from Scotland. Incidentally, the HGV was also an outstanding stolen vehicle.

4 people were arrested and are currently on bail for these offences.

005-12.jpg

It really is a whopper, 23 tonnes unladen and 51 tonnes fully loaded.