Plastruct and Card Shed with Workshop: Updated 27/8/11

Farmersam

Hi. Am having a go at building a large Plastruct and Card Shed with Workshop. A HUGE thanks to Jez and Tris for all of their help, advice and inspiration from Jez's amazing shed!  :):D;D Hope you gise can give me some help and advise... and maybe even some criticisms  :laugh:!!!! Am only 13yrs old so this a is my first attemp at a "proper" ::) shed! Enjoy... :)

(Sorry, had to make another topic as the old one wouldn't let be back in!!!)

Started off with a large sheet of 4.5mm MDF wood and cut it to size (46cm x 56cm). The shed will be 42cm x 51cm. Brick wall will be 8.5cm and total wall height 17cm.

Drilled 8mm holes to fit the upright plastruct beams (BFS-10) which are 8mm wide. (Another of Jez's and Tris's tips!)

Photos to come when I work out how....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. Yes, am using an apple mac, would this make a difference? Uploaded pictures onto here off my mac before and it worked? Any help would be great!!! :)

i recommend signing up to photobucket.com, uploading your images there, then copying and pasting the links provided with  tags round it into the topic.

i look forward to seeing them!

• 2 weeks later...

;D

Wow... quite a impressive start mate and I have to say all the credit goes to you mate!! There are many here who would roll around on the floor laughing at the fact you asked Tris and I for help.... A small man a brokeback cowboy...

Anyway.

Looks a great start mate an as Scot says you won't go short of people to help you out on this forum.

One other piece of advice is maybe build up some of it in dry before glueing it together.

Keep up the good work and welcome to the model farm buildings club!

8)

Made a door. MDF with plastrast as a border.

f1426796.jpg

Sprayed silver. Added black handle. Put one end of a staple in the top of the wood and straightened it out so it will be able to swing (any better suggestions?).  ;)

0d8fa356.jpg

In the process of making a door frame out of 6mm balsa.

Looks good Sam! I used a straight piece of plastruct tubing glued to the inside and then swung the door inside.

Oh and by building up in dry i mean put in your ground posts, set up the wall and be careful gluing things. measure three times, cut once and glue once...

Make sense?

good luck buddy!!

Looks good Sam! I used a straight piece of plastruct tubing glued to the inside and then swung the door inside.

Oh and by building up in dry i mean put in your ground posts, set up the wall and be careful gluing things. measure three times, cut once and glue once...

Sound advice!!! I've learnt about that saying the hard way before!

Will have a crack with the door the way you did it. :)

Brilliant, very nice start indeed. One other tip with Plastruct is it can leave 'furry' edges, be sure to either pick them off with your finger nail or file them off with a file, sanding paper to leave a tidy finish.

Looks like a good size shed mate, looking forward to the progress.

Brilliant, very nice start indeed. One other tip with Plastruct is it can leave 'furry' edges, be sure to either pick them off with your finger nail or file them off with a file, sanding paper to leave a tidy finish.

Was wandering what the best thing was to do about them! (I thought it was just my bad cutting that made the furry edge at first!)  Have had ago with the sand paper and they have come up ok. Might have a go with the file later. Thanks for the advice! :D

Was wandering what the best thing was to do about them! (I thought it was just my bad cutting that made the furry edge at first!)  Have had ago with the sand paper and they have come up ok. Might have a go with the file later. Thanks for the advice! :D

Another way is to get a sharp knife and scrape the fuzz off (a bit like scraping a spud)  but don't try to slice it

Mandy: Is the green card that I am looking at buying almost the same colour and same sized waves of the card Jez used? Do you have any other photos of it by any chance? (Just want to make sure I am buying the right stuff as it is quite a lot of money for corrugated card if I get it and isn't what I want!!! :) :) :) :) :) ) Thanks for your help Mandy!  :D