Classic Tractor July

I couldn't get mine yesterday at the Post Office / shop where I get my copy. This is very unusual, but it had arrived today  :)

Interesting articles for me are the Grassland 90 coverage - seems very outdated now  :of

And the man who has deserted up to the minute tractors because of their reliability, and gone back to early 90's relatively electronics free machines. And a Very Nice fleet of Fords he's acquired too  8)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I became aware of the supply problem when I went into my local Martins newsagent in Louth and they didn't have the magazine on the shelf. They said their next magazine delivery was going to be Tuesday.

I checked W. H. Smith and another newsagent and they had the latest issue on the shelf.

From your comments, it seems that the distributors failed to get the magazine into the shops on time on Friday....definitely not good and frustrating as it was printed at least 10 days prior to the on-sale date.

Sorry if some of you had a wasted journey on Friday, but thanks for going back on Saturday to pick up the magazine.

Regards

R Day 

Rory,

Would it be possible to have an on-line magazine with annual subscription?....only reason I ask is because I'm abroad for quite a bit of time and only catch up with Classic Tractor twice a year, would be handy if it could be opened and read online......in a similar way to the likes of Agricultural Trader & Farmers Resale Weekly.

Hi Richard,

That is a good point and one that I shall pass on to HQ. It's fair to say that Sundial Magazines are not that enthusiastic about online versions of any of their three titles, mainly because there hasn't been a great demand, as yet. I can see your point though and as a subscriber, if you want an online version, why shouldn't you have it?

I recently had my first taste of an online magazine when I paid for a single issue of the new Site Equipment magazine. I have to say that although it only cost £1.39 or something like that, I personally found it a most unsatisfying experience viewing a magazine on the screen. I couldn't download it as such, so no print outs, and I just can't see myself 'reading' the magazine on the screen over several different sittings/hours. Scrolling around to view the pages was hopeless, but you had to zoom in to be able to read the text.

If that's typical of all online magazines, you can keep them. Saying all this, I am of course a lover of paper titles, so prefer the traditional approach. Plus, if I took my monitor into the bath to read a magazine it would get all steamed up!

Regards

R Day

Interesting the 'on-line' magazine idea. I think it largeley depends on the 'server' as to how the 'page' is displayed and with your 'zoom level' button, wherever positioned on your task bar, normally bottom right, you can 'magnify' in order to read text better. Having said that, it could be made available in PDF format to 'download' from the main page of the web site 'home page' which SUBSCRIBERS (I put this word in bold as 'readers' would have to subscribe I'm thinking if they don't already subsribe to the 'hard' copy and those readers that do then they could 'log in' using their 'subscription number/code'?) could then 'save to file' and read at their leisure or save to a disc. Just thinking out loud.

OFFICIAL FTF ANNOUNCEMENT

If anyone has read the above post and as a result of this,  accidentally imagined Rory laying in his bath please feel free to come to the Moderator special operations room on level 2 where we have set up a number of trained councilors to help erase the image and ease any 'long term mental anguish' this may have caused. Andy has asked me to inform you that we are 'in this for the long haul' as we have been advised it may take some considerable time for those effected to complete the full course of treatment.

And please... DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME  :of

:P

Lord F,

I know, it's a pretty horrific thought. But believe it or not, I do some of my best reading (and even proof reading) in the bath. Nothing too serious and certainly no tractor brochures or any other historic documents that could be damaged by the steam, but general 'mags' (no top shelf stuff, honest).

Perhaps I had better shut up now as I am letting all my trade secrets out..........

Regards

R Day

As much as I like online magazines I don't think it would be a wise move sadly. I think every magazine and newspaper is thinking 'should we go E-zine?' Some do, others don't and I think you should not do both, unless you are a very large magazine/paper.

If I were to start my own magazine I would considering going digital only. Cheaper to produce, easier to spread, can show movies, more pictures etc.. and perfectly watchable on say an iPad or similar. But I think for the traditional CT readers the traditional paper will be best! Every reader has his own way of reading it. Personally I like mine best on Sunday morning with a cup of coffee ;).

think this is one of the best isues there has beign for a while as last few isues havent beign that good especially liked the fleet profile think this is the best bit of the magazine and liked the bit about the guy that uses the ford instead of modern tractos alo liked the bit about the masseys nice to have some newish tractors in every now and then.keep up the good wok rory.