Fraserburgh 20th Vintage Rally Sunday 5th June 2011

BC

Today I attended the 20th vintage rally as a spectator and left my tractor at home only returning the cup I won last year. The weather was good and managed to grab a few photos.

First inside the exhibition hall Jim Staton was exhibiting a Volvo 1/16 scale model he made from an Italian kit before his interest turned to cranes.

ST835674.jpg

ST835675.jpg

ST835676.jpg

ST835677.jpg

ST835678.jpg

In addition Jim had a model lorry of the long gone Aberdeen fish haulier Charles Alexander. The model had a sleeper cab but  Jim cut it back and made it a day cab.

ST835679.jpg

ST835680.jpg

Albert Irvine was there as well with some of his cranes and heavy haulage complete with flashing lights.

ST835699.jpg

ST835698.jpg

Ally Murray was there with some of his lorries from long gone Aberdeen hauliers such as Charles Alexander, Munros and George T Fraser.

The early days of Charles Alexander and the darker blue.

ST835708.jpg

The next livery.

ST835707.jpg

And then the next

ST835706.jpg

ST835705.jpg

They even had some livestock floats which I was unaware about.

ST835704.jpg

ST835703.jpg

ST835702.jpg

ST835701.jpg

ST835700.jpg

And another local firm no longer in existence Lawson's of Dyce which had a killing house and used to produce bacon and other pork related products. The factory was locally known as the "Hamer"

ST835709.jpg

Outside to the tractors where there were a large number of Zetors but then there was a dealer Stanley Partridge in the area. I have heard some folk say these were the "Lada's" of tractors however I have heard others say the big Chrystals took a bit of beating when it came to grip and pulling power :-\ :-\

ST835681.jpg

ST835682.jpg

ST835683.jpg

ST835684.jpg

ST835685.jpg

ST835687.jpg

Some very nice models and real machines you've captured there Bill. Absolutely loving the model of the orange Volvo F-12, stunning piece of work. As for the tractors what a fantastic line up of Zetors, some very nice classic restorations there. Must say my favourite though has to be the International B-450 with Scottish Aviation? cab fitted, lovely looking tractor. :)

Thanks David. The B450 looked good but spoilt perhaps with the new wings in undercoat......maybe a little weatehring is required ;) ;)

I think it was the cab drew me to it Bill. It's always really nice to see tractors such as the B-450 fitted with period cabs and aside from those wings it looks in great original condition. :)

Yes David it is nice to see as original examples as possible. Years ago people would have said repaint but now I think people are tending just to degrease and clean up fairly original examples which is nice.

With those wings having been renewed I would still be tempted to weather them ;) ;)

• 1 month later...

Yes it was a nice day Erik. I'm not sure the manufacturer of the Thames Traders but I will try and remember and ask the exhibitor the next time I see him. I suspect he only got them painted in the livery of G T Fraser a fish carrier in Aberdeen. This chaps collection of lorries is mainly of Aberdeen hauliers that have now ceased trading. The 6 cylinder Fordson was a nice looking conversion.