Opinions on JCB fastracs?

JoshParkinson

I don't want to start a colour war here or anything, it's just there's a possibility i could get a job on a farm running all fastracs this summer, but i don't really know what to make of them, although they are very good looking tractors, go like stink, and the exhaust note is amazing, but i was just wondering what you all think to them?

I thought you had to be 21 to drive a Fastrac as far as I know.

If I'm wrong and you do get the job... If the boss asks you "So what do you think of these Fastracs then, Josh"? For gods sake don't say. .. "Yeeeeeeeeeah they go like stink"!!!!!

No that's true . ... they'd be too far infront to come back!  :P:laugh: :laugh:

Josh, what jobs would these Fastracs be doing? It's not comparisons you need, it's how the Fastrac itself performs in these jobs.

im certain its 21 for insurance purposes for road use????

as tractors go theyre a tractor, if you compare build quality and design to that of a Unimog then i dont think the Fastracs come anywhere close.

Well i think josh is the age to go out on the road anyway but we had a a contrator in cleaning dikes and putting in some drains he had a 155-55 with a dump trailer it wasnt that good of a puller in the field but by god went she hit the road notting could sit with her  :laugh:

but i would love a 1135 4WS and front linkage maybe some day  ::):-\ ;D

Josh isn't allowed on the road, he's too young  :P

My two penneths worth, they are really good if you stay within the law and take care with them. Otherwise very very expensive in tyres and things, e.g fines for doing illegal haulage with them

they are good machines josh just dont get too excited and floor it with equipment behind you. they are powerfull machines and a good tractor to work with, plenty of space to move in and a good view from the cab. bit of a pain to hook up to equipment but most sensible owners get cameras fitted to them to make it easier.

good luck anyway mate

hope it goes well

From the limited time I've spent in the cab, I know I can't yet drive one very well! :-[  Perhaps it was the unusual, almost double-clutching needed to get up to speed.

Take the bumps well with all-round suspension but the turning circle is poor.

Fastracs are very much a Marmite tractor, you either love them or hate them. The new ones are better than the older models, our neighbour runs nothing but Fastracs and the blokes do like them for comfort but they do have reliability issues with them and the steering lock is less than brilliant for some jobs. As a transport tractor they are well at home, I've had the misfortune to plough with an older 3185 and the gearbox was abysmal for field work, in order to go up one gear to go slightly faster it was a case of change down one range and up one gear, the gearstick itself was best described as like moving a spoon in a buck of sh....er treacle ;D  The 3290 I demo'd a few years back was a slight improvement though, still not a big fan of them for draft operations though personally

No that's true . ... they'd be too far infront to come back!  :P:laugh: :laugh:

Josh, what jobs would these Fastracs be doing? It's not comparisons you need, it's how the Fastrac itself performs in these jobs.

it would just be ploughing etc, pulling 6m powerharrows, and John Deere drills, and anybody that's mentioning road work i won't be doing it, when they are combining i would be on the JCB loadall heaping up, i would only be using them for field work

im certain its 21 for insurance purposes for road use????

as tractors go theyre a tractor, if you compare build quality and design to that of a Unimog then i dont think the Fastracs come anywhere close.

Oh dear, my mate drives a 3230 on the road at 17  :-\