Opinions on JCB fastracs?

JoshParkinson

fair play josh, even ive never been put on the drill before, im working for suckleys through the summer (7000 acres) and all i will be doing is lugging and some subsoiling with a sumo. and possibly some ploughing depending how they are getting on with cultivations.

can you opperate a drill or are they teaching you. be great if they do, yould be a good worker for any arable farm

it would just be ploughing etc, pulling 6m powerharrows, and John Deere drills, and anybody that's mentioning road work i won't be doing it, when they are combining i would be on the JCB loadall heaping up, i would only be using them for field work

I thought you would need a ticket to drive the loadall like the rest of us? oh no your not old enough yet. ::) ::)

How do you get padock to paddock when you cant drive on the road? majic fairy hop over the road? ive had non liceneced workers before and they are more a hassle than good no matter how busy we are. they are the 1st to get flicked off for a licened driver no matter how useless they are.

good to see your trying to get into machines but kids you dont own the show the machines will still work with out you its a fact of life

loving this topic, if young school kids really do what they say we all better get new jobs ha ha!, is harvest/ sowing just from last week in july to 1st week in september??? i think its great young lads want to come into the farming life but i belive in starting at the bottom and not making out your the top man ect, age earns respect in my eyes.

Can I disagree with you Ol?  :P

Im 16 and yeah I love being on the tractor, but choice of tractor or cows I would give my left leg for the cows  ;D  Love the cows and working with them, even if its just sorting them or wiping the teats in the milking parlour I still prefer it to tractors  :P

Then again Im odd, also I agree there is ither things to life than tractors, but I dont want to be a farmer when I'm older anyway

hmmm got agree with the others tbh, ive waited a while and worked my ass of to get working for big arable boys, i will be driving tractors for 4 months almost and i know it will get boring. i have only taken the job as its the only job i got offered. i almost got a job with pigs and im willing to do any work and then when i take a job with machnery and lots of trctor work people complain that i only do agriculture for that.

fair play josh for getting the job but you need experience and certificates to do the work

forgot to add,

its great taking the risks but when you get caught you really will regret it.

its like i told my boss i can go lugging spuds but i havent got and im not old enough to take my trailer licence and so i asked if i could go on cultivations instead and he said yes as i dont want a driving ban and he does not want to lose a driver

Whats up with the forum these days? Josh started a topic asking about peoples opions on fastracs.

Half the replies are saying no you shouldn't be driving one, your not old enough experienced etc.

He never asked any opions on what he should be doing or not? He just wanted to know what Fastracs are like...

'if young school kids really do what they say we all better get new jobs' Times have changed, younger people are trusted with bigger kit these days, back in the day everyone started off on a 35 but now they can start on an 150hp tractor?

If Josh is having the responsilbility to drive one of this the boss must know and trust him that he has experience and can handle it?

Yes you do need a ticket to drive a telehandler and the ticket is there to get for a reason, i know many people who were driving one from young ages, as long there supervised and know the dangers they should be fine, cant say i would risk doing it but if the employer chooses to take that risk its his choice.

Josh just asked for some advice on a tractor....not a lecture on what he and young people should be doing

When i used to ask for advice on here, i was really gratefull for the great replys i got.. but this dosnt seem to happen anymore >:(

massey boy maybe its cause the bulk of us have spent 5-10 years working from the bottom of the ladder and slowly getting experience and learning about the job in hand to get further up the ladder and then these young kids asking about fastracs etc. dont care wether the young person is good on a machine or supervised, people should not be operating machinery without the respective qualifications etc!! its ok till things go wrong then certain people will probably have to live with the decision they have made all there life. am also shocked at the amount of young people that are doing pto work, i was told and also read somewhere cant remember where but a person should be 17 before using pto equipment!!

can see where your coming from masseyboy,lets get back on topic,as gav said poor gearbox on the early ones,great for haulage,pants for draught work,again im on about the older ones 2155 etc 3185,never drove a 7000 or 8000 series one so cant commemt on those

massey boy maybe its cause the bulk of us have spent 5-10 years working from the bottom of the ladder and slowly getting experience and learning about the job in hand to get further up the ladder and then these young kids asking about fastracs etc. dont care wether the young person is good on a machine or supervised, people should not be operating machinery without the respective qualifications etc!! its ok till things go wrong then certain people will probably have to live with the decision they have made all there life. am also shocked at the amount of young people that are doing pto work, i was told and also read somewhere cant remember where but a person should be 17 before using pto equipment!!

Everyones started some where?

I started working for and agricultural engineer when i was 12 doing stuff like tidying the workshops and cleaning off tractors and i am 16 now and i am trusted to do clutch jobs on tractors and and work on and put new brand new equipment together...

Ive been talking to Josh as well and he started driving a tractor when he was 7 and has slowly worked up and got better and is now trusted to do more things now hes 14 so that's 7 year experience..

I get the feeling that older members might be a tad jealous that they could not start working on big kit, that they had to start off doing harder stuff and it was harder to become ex perinced. Tractor driving isn't as hard as it used to be with confort and electrics taking the hard labour about of the old jobs.

Yes there are rules there for a reason, but i don't know many people who was brought up on a farm and wasn't driving a tractor and using a PTO by the age of 14? The rule for use of the PTO is 16... and you still don't get the point that he asked advice on a machine, not what he should or shouldn't be doing.

Bit more personality and (sometimes) freewill than a tractor does a cow in my opinion  :P  plus with breeding you can alter a cow and make it truly your perfect animal, no so much with a tractor I feel

Yes I like there personalitys as well Pat,exp when you see them trying to get the last bit feed they have pushed away from them selves along the feed passage.They have a net work like facebook when you spend enough time with them and thats somthing like you say you don't get from tractors.

Yes I like there personalitys as well Pat,exp when you see them trying to get the last bit feed they have pushed away from them selves along the feed passage.They have a net work like facebook when you spend enough time with them and thats somthing like you say you don't get from tractors.

Couldnt agree more Ol, we have 5 cows at work that all stand at the back of the collecting yard, come into the parlour in the same order and all eat and lay together. We have 2 cows of the same age that are practically inseperable, even calve within a few days of each other, just like humans each cow has its own habits  ;D

Bit off topic from JCB's though  :-\ :P

::):D On Fastracs the falling sales figures speak for themselves

On skilled farm labour, well as long as the job gets done in a fashion seems to be thinking of modern farming its all about profit.

On cows fascinating even more so when you had to chain em up prior to milking.

Only thing i know is they pull like a train :D

Brilliant for road work and there retty comfy aswell :D

i'll happily spend 12 hours in the cab of either of my dads 3 fastracs  ;)

Come on guys get back on topic he just wanted to know peoples opinions on a tractor not a lecture off of all you lot telling him what he can and cannot do, i think he'll know more about what he can and cannot do than you know! :)

I can understand people frustrations with some of the comments  I see on here... BUT... having said that, you've made some very valid comments Cerin, especially the one about the topics main objective - so lets please carry on respecting each other views, as we do in true FTF style and get back to the opinions bit.

I've only had very limited experience with JCB fastracs.. and all watching them through the windows of my own tractor cab. On my final day of corn carting last year a local farmer joined us in his fastrac with a 14t Marston - he SEEMED to romp away on the roads, but struggled up the hills when the trailer was full... YES we do actually have some hills here in Cambridgeshire.. well.. one anyway  :-[

The local farmer who takes my waste veg HAD one until recently.. but he's sold it and he won't be replacing it - I've not quizzed him as to why as yet - watch this space