Walter Derwent's Farm and Construction Brochure Collection.

Whilst I rarely go out of my way to purchase brochures i've gathered up a variety of farm machinery and construction based literature over the past few years. Much of which has been donated to me by friends and family. I've my Dad to thank in particular for the majority of the earthmoving leaflets I have in my collection.

I'll start with subject matter gaining most of my attention recently on my photographic travels, combine harvesters. First up, as requested by CX820Joe the Bonhill badged Fortschritt machines.

Front Cover.

P1090611.jpg

Inside folded out.

P1090612.jpg

Inside right hand page folded in.

P1090615.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the mf brochures from that era had great photos then david,nice mf 440 brochure

Must admit Paul I absolutely love studying sales literature photographs from this period to see how they've been composed. Massey Ferguson seem to be very good at creating stunning images. The first picture you see when opening up the 440 brochure certainly has plenty of "wow" factor. Just need to find a real one now to photograph myself, never seen one before until I bought this leaflet which cost me less than fifty pence. :)

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since added anything further to my literature thread. Here's a few more combine harvester brochures I've chosen to keep having had a proper sort of my brochures recently. Starting with the Claas Lexion. There's some fantastic close up photography contained within it's pages.

P1130679.jpg

P1130680.jpg

P1130682.jpg

P1130683.jpg

very nice.. of course i love them NH brochures ;) , so are you going to further enlarge your combine sales literature collection ? ;)

Thanks Wil. I'd definitely like to add further to this side of my small literature collection especially given my fascination for chasing after the real machines working during the summer with my camera. It would be quite nice to have brochures to match up with the combines i've photographed over the past few harvests. :)

i see there is one in there i should start looking for ;) , great selection of balers! Always loved the New Holland Baler brochures since the Ford-New Holland era, they always contain brilliant photography of farming scenes...

Thanks Wil. Thats all my New Holland baler collection amounts to at the moment, those six brochures. The BB980 brochure is definitely my favourite out of those, some wonderful photography contained within it's pages. :) Just out of curiosity which one haven't you found yet?

Some lovely stuff there David.. like John... I also love those cut away drawings... when I was a lad I had quite a selection of those MF ones in poster form.... MF590... MF1200.... MF760 and an MF30 drill from memory.

I agree on the stunning MF photography as well mate.. I've met Massey's current photographer, John Gate who's been doing it for a long long time... although I think that brochure will pre-date his employment with MF... I believe it would have been Ted Everett .. who still works part time for MF and I think it is claimed that he's the last remaining emloyee who worked for Ferguson when the great man himself was still around.

NH

Thanks Wil. Thats all my New Holland baler collection amounts to at the moment, those six brochures. The BB980 brochure is definitely my favourite out of those, some wonderful photography contained within it's pages. :) Just out of curiosity which one haven't you found yet?

it's the NH 548 Combi that is missing in my collection.. have a bale wrapper brochure and plenty of round baler brochures (50 or so) but not that one.. ;) Will find it's way to my collection eventually..

Some lovely stuff there David.. like John... I also love those cut away drawings... when I was a lad I had quite a selection of those MF ones in poster form.... MF590... MF1200.... MF760 and an MF30 drill from memory.

I agree on the stunning MF photography as well mate.. I've met Massey's current photographer, John Gate who's been doing it for a long long time... although I think that brochure will pre-date his employment with MF... I believe it would have been Ted Everett .. who still works part time for MF and I think it is claimed that he's the last remaining emloyee who worked for Ferguson when the great man himself was still around.

Thanks Mark. Whilst it's collecting models that still remains my biggest interest it's been rather nice to gather together and catalogue a small collection of machinery brochures ( so far ) to accompany the other elements of my collection. Thanks for the information regards Massey Ferguson's photographers. I absolutely love the photographs depicting the 440 combine. In light of my own interest in photography I do really enjoy studying the work of the professionals that appears in the sales literature I have. I seem to remember too as a kid having a jigsaw puzzle resembling a Massey Ferguson combine, possibly a 525 or similar. It's now long since departed via a car boot sale though.

NH

it's the NH 548 Combi that is missing in my collection.. have a bale wrapper brochure and plenty of round baler brochures (50 or so) but not that one.. ;) Will find it's way to my collection eventually..

I was fortunate enough to be given a whole bundle of New Holland brochures a few years ago. The combine and baler ones featured here aswell as a selection of Ford / New Holland tractor brochures which I'll post up to here too Wil. I thought you and others might be interested in seeing these aswell. A pair of Ford and Fordson related magazines from the early '80s. They were given to me around 10 years ago and appear to have been edited by Arthur and Nick Batelle of Farm Tractor Drives fame and nowadays The Old 20 Parts Company.

There is one article in particular in the older edition that is of more interest than most. Written by David Bate a glimpse into just what was available to carpet farmers and collectors alike on the model farming front in 1983, the year I was born.

P1130776.jpg

P1130777.jpg

P1130778.jpg

The later edition I have from 1984 appears to have been expanded to accomodate reports and articles on all makes of vintage and classic tractors.

P1130779.jpg

Archived