Paypal Dispute!

CJ

hi need some advice, I sold and item on ebay at the start of November and recived payment on the 08/11/11 and posted the item on the 09/11/11, the buyer is claiming non Receipt of the item. now i didnt send it recorded but i do have the receipt for the posting the parcel.

whats the best out come here am i buggered 4 ways from sunday, i mean all the buyer has to do is claim they didnt get their item and im out of a model and money, is there any thing i can do HELP!!!!!

Its a real tough one and I have at least 3 or 4 of these every week. Unfortunately paypal will always take the buyers side even if you have a signature from the person who has opened the dispute. >:(

Don't let me put you off  ;D ;D

Take your proof of postage to your local post office, they will be able to trace the package internally (well so they say) and you will be asked to fill out some forms and they will contact the address where the package was supposed to end up.

I am buggered 4 ways from Sunday then  ;D, Im disgusted at the minute, I mean all a buyer has to do is open a dispute to get there money back weather they received the item or not, pay pal would need to instal some "seller confidence" as well as buyer confidence

I am buggered 4 ways from Sunday then  ;D , Im disgusted at the minute, I mean all a buyer has to do is open a dispute to get there money back weather they received the item or not, pay pal would need to instal some "seller confidence" as well as buyer confidence

cj,i know its easy to say now,but from now on send only by recorded delivery,your safe then, a lot of this goes on at ebay,people saying they have not recieved there goods,its the only thing i can suggest,but as udimore says go to the post office with your proof of postage,but it will be a long winded thing to sort out

You can not win with PayPal without proof of delivery. However if you have proof of posting you are insured by the Royal Mail up to the value of £47, assuming you sent it First Class. Can not recall all the conditions, check the Royal Mail website. There are forms to fill out and it may take a while but hopefully you'll get compensation from Royal Mail.

Provided you have a proof of posting the Royal Mail will refund you for your item being 'lost in the post'.  I only ever insure or send items 'Recorded' if they're valued at over £49 because you're covered up to that amount anyway. The reason for this is that the Royal Mail will only reimburse you for the value of the item and not for the postage you've paid. So, if you pay for extra insurance (or recorded) and it still gets lost... you just end up losing more financially yourself.

My advise is simple. Don't let the situation get to you. Refund the Buyer and apologise for the non-receipt of the item. Put in your claim with the Royal Mail and move on. The time and energy wasted trying to prove who's in the right can be better spent.

Royal mail cannot 'track' anything sent in the post whether sent recorded or not, the only way they know where an item is, is if it has reached its destination and has been 'signed for' by the recipient. Your best bet is to find out the buyers email address, which should appear in your 'payments' list in your PayPal account and email him a scan of the receipt of postage with a polite message stating that 'here is proof of postage'. You cannot be held responsible for the item once it has left your hands. As far as I am aware, he is covered by PayPal who will refund the amount which will not affect you. You can prove that you sent it but he can't prove that he has not received it so you have the more 'right'.

That won't work Powerrabbit - once a seller has taken money for the supply of goods (whether he be a private seller or a trader), he is legally responsible for ensuring that the goods are recieved by the buyer.  You enter into a contract with Royal Mail (or any other carrier) for the safe carriage, but if the item fails to arrive at its destination, or arrives damaged, it is down you to re-imburse the buyer.

The idea that some eBay sellers have that they can wriggle out of their legal responsibilities by claiming that they are not responsible for the package once it is in the carriers hands is entirely false. 

When a package fails to reach the seller, eBay/PayPal will always support a full refund if there is no proof of delivery (and not all forms of proof offered by some carriers qualify under PayPals terms!). They will refund the buyer and will then reclaim the money from the sellers account.

You should be covered by a Certificate of Posting up to a value of 100x the cost of basic first class letter post (currently £46; not the erroneous amounts quoted in previous posts!!).  However it is for the seller to submit the claim to Royal Mail, having refunded the buyer.

you can see why so many sellers now insist on sending via recorded delivery now, personally i would pay it , although  in a way its wrong the majority have to pay for the minority of light fingered dis honest people out there after stuff for free, if i sell on ebay in future its recorded delivery or dont bid in my listing i think

Royal mail cannot 'track' anything sent in the post whether sent recorded or not, the only way they know where an item is, is if it has reached its destination and has been 'signed for' by the recipient. Your best bet is to find out the buyers email address, which should appear in your 'payments' list in your PayPal account and email him a scan of the receipt of postage with a polite message stating that 'here is proof of postage'. You cannot be held responsible for the item once it has left your hands. As far as I am aware, he is covered by PayPal who will refund the amount which will not affect you. You can prove that you sent it but he can't prove that he has not received it so you have the more 'right'.

Im sorry but i have to disagree with that remark,royal mail offers special delivery services which cost more and also the 'tracked' system which is used on a massive scale by amazon,any item sent by either service is scanned on an barcode system from dispatch to distribution centres then to delivery offices and finally at recipients delivery address.

I was at one time waiting for a 'recorded' delivery that was massively overdue so rang The Post Office and giving them the 'tracking' number asked where the package was. They told me that the only way they knew where the item was, was if it had been delivered and the recipient had 'signed' for it. I asked them, why charge for or use a sevice that in effect is non-existant?, this they could not or would not answer. Obviously, not every sorting office a package passes through bothers to scan the attached label. You can go on-line and use their 'tracking' service, type in the tracking number and submit the search and a message comes up telling you that it may take 3 weeks to process your search, check back from time to time. You will, in the main, receive a better service of delivery if you send stuff by ordinary second class standard post I find.

Anything i Send is special delivery, and usually i do not even charge the buyer the full postal cost, usually i charge close to it just,

But the point being, every sent box should have a return address, even for normal untraced un tracked un recorded, so if it dont make it it will usually eventually come home again, nothing of mine goes 2nd class, all 1st class recorded or special delivery, then international goes signed for or airsure

save hassle money and time in the long run

I was at one time waiting for a 'recorded' delivery that was massively overdue so rang The Post Office and giving them the 'tracking' number asked where the package was. They told me that the only way they knew where the item was, was if it had been delivered and the recipient had 'signed' for it. I asked them, why charge for or use a sevice that in effect is non-existant?, this they could not or would not answer. Obviously, not every sorting office a package passes through bothers to scan the attached label. You can go on-line and use their 'tracking' service, type in the tracking number and submit the search and a message comes up telling you that it may take 3 weeks to process your search, check back from time to time. You will, in the main, receive a better service of delivery if you send stuff by ordinary second class standard post I find.

Recorded items are not scanned at anytime through the delivery network until signature on delivery- the barcode is then scanned,recipients name entered and signed by receiver of item