Snow chains or snow socks?

I've been putting this off because of the relatively mild weather we've been having here in the UK, but I was wondering if anyone on ftf has previously used snow socks as an alternative to chains? I'm told they cope with icy conditions on a par with snow chains, but suffer when exposed to clear tarmac. Any ideas? :-\

I have never used either but I have listened to people speaking about them both. With chains there is always a risk of breaking and could do damage to your vehicle. On sock's well I have heard they are no use on bare tarmac since they will just fall to pieces.

I have never used either but I have listened to people speaking about them both. With chains there is always a risk of breaking and could do damage to your vehicle. On sock's well I have heard they are no use on bare tarmac since they will just fall to pieces.

well they do tell you to remove them as soon as your out of the snow onto a main road in the instructions bill  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

personaly never needed either, got out up the hills down mine all the time the snow was down last year with no gritting done, even when others were turning back 

So presumably you use full snow tyres then Bill?

Not so far Chris.

well they do tell you to remove them as soon as your out of the snow onto a main road in the instructions bill  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

personaly never needed either, got out up the hills down mine all the time the snow was down last year with no gritting done, even when others were turning back 

Never looked at them Sean ...anyway who reads instructions ???

Never mind all that.. Hit 4wd and give her the boot if its going wrong.. Or if you don't have 4wd, Like myself. Then the majority of cars have a device located in between the two front seats, It like a stick in most cases, It should help you  ;)  ;D 

Well I'm still here  ::)

We have got snow chains for the Cabstars, Chris. I have never used snow socks but I understand in Scandinavian countries they are highly rated. We need the help with grip because in no uncertain terms, as good as the Cabstar is at getting around driveways etc, they'd get stuck on a cow pat! I like the chains, easy to fit, robust and grip like like Velcro. Happy to recommend them to anyone :)

Must say we recently looked at these for my wifes clio, in the end we went for winter tyres. Reason being is that they recommend taking them off once past the snowy area and my wife was not comfortable putting them on and off. We also got a good deal on the winter tyres even wif we hadn't had snow the road handling in wet conditions is great. Recent studies say that you can use them all year round in the uk with no real change in mileage out of the tyres.