Who would have used this piece of crockery ?

Todays guessing game should be even easier than yesterdays....but there are two question.

1) Who would have used it ( well you won't know the person by name ;D ;D )

2) How old do you think the item is  ;D

ST839284.jpg

ST839286.jpg

ST839285.jpg

Well done David....I knew today's was an easy one ;D ;D

It has been handed down the family and belonged to my grandmothers grandfather. My mother said my grandmother would have been 112 had she still been alive today.

Looking at google the moustache cup is said to have been invented in the 1860's by the potter Harvey Adams born in 1835

Brilliant topic (I would never have guessed what it was for though :( ) :)

Well thanks Mandy and I'm glad at least one members enjoyed it.....oh and PS... I only found it at Mum's today when she told me which cupboard her stash of Pringles were hiding in ;D

Did they ever do a left handed one.?

Good question Mark....but too good a one for me to answer ;) ;) ....I suppose a left handed person could still use this one but only by taking a handful of the cup with their...his left hand ;D ;D

I wonder who many left handed blokes with moustaches we have on FTF :-\

right then ,lets all post pictures up of different box sets it came in, makers numbers ,and of course  colour variations :P :P :P :P 

only kidding                                                                       

no dont do it seriously

bill  please stop or we will have to shoot you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

right then ,lets all post pictures up of different box sets it came in, makers numbers ,and of course  colour variations :P :P :P :P 

only kidding                                                                       

no dont do it seriously

bill  please stop or we will have to shoot you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I feel safe Sean you are to far away from me to be that accurate ;D ;D ;D

Well Sue I really don't know but I will have a couple of ideas so I will have a guess.

The holes at the top suggest to me that it is for straining something....however the holes look a bit large for that. After whatever is strained you can pour the residual liquid from the jug into my cup for a right handed man with a moustache to drink ???

Well Sue I really don't know but I will have a couple of ideas so I will have a guess.

The holes at the top suggest to me that it is for straining something....however the holes look a bit large for that. After whatever is strained you can pour the residual liquid from the jug into my cup for a right handed man with a moustache to drink ???

Interesting suggestion Bill.  You are, however, completely off the mark! ;D

Well I did think of that one as well Paul but it looks too fancy for that and well the only thing I could think the spout was for was pouring out old stale stagnant water. I honestly don't think the intended purpose was for flowers however it could certainly be used for that ;D ;D

Come on Auntie Sue the quiz-mistress should be online to listen and respond to the contestants answers :of

I think it's an egg separating cup.

Break the egg into the top bit. The white will run through, leaving the yolk in the top.

What a lovely idea - I have problems with separating eggs.  Perhaps I will wash it out thoroughly and give it a try.

OK Here is another picture showing a huge CLUE

post-1227-132640047332_thumb.jpg

Ones family must have been awfully posh to have a "shaving jug" like that Sue ???

It is from the days before hot running water was readily available indoors.  It belonged to my grandfather.  I can certainly remember him using it and a cut-throat razor.  He used his leather belt to strop that razor and oh boy it was sharp!