Measuring Temperature Of Bulk Grains

NewHolland2

Mart... do you want a 'spot reading' or to measure the temperature over a period of time mate ??? .. we use a portable recorder system at work in all the fridges which is brilliant... I could mail you one and you could use it to record and then mail it back to me for a download (for free of course)... it's got a readout on it so you can see what its recording.. you can also set the intervals it records the temperature at.. I even have my office temperature 'bugged' recording at 30 minute intervals... god only knows why though ;D ;D O0

Neither of those would do the job accurately Martin, you need a much longer spear to do the job as the temperature will increase as you get deeper into the heap. We sample at 50cm, 100cm and 200cm deep in our bulk store to check both storage moisture and temperature. The only way that you may gat away with those instruments is to use a spear to bring a sample up to check with them which wouldn't be as accurate in my opinion as the grain would be cooling very quickly as it came out of the heap.

We use a barn owl which is made by Martin Lishman it's very good as you put the probes in the grain in the store and it is picked up by a box on the top of the grain shed and then sends a signal to the computer so you can read it even if your not at home or in the shed. It's quite expensive but it's very accurate! Hope this helps :-)

Neither of those would do the job accurately Martin, you need a much longer spear to do the job as the temperature will increase as you get deeper into the heap. We sample at 50cm, 100cm and 200cm deep in our bulk store to check both storage moisture and temperature. The only way that you may gat away with those instruments is to use a spear to bring a sample up to check with them which wouldn't be as accurate in my opinion as the grain would be cooling very quickly as it came out of the heap.

good advice. we use a long spear. grain that has been dried then put into a floor stoor needs close attention, as does grain thats between 15-18% moisture. grain temperatures can change dramatically over just a few feet, especialy when pushed up with a dozer. we often find that it is sometimes a couple of months after harvest until we reach our target temperatures. cold, dry autumn nights are the key, to keep fans on flat out.

good advice. we use a long spear. grain that has been dried then put into a floor stoor needs close attention, as does grain thats between 15-18% moisture. grain temperatures can change dramatically over just a few feet, especialy when pushed up with a dozer. we often find that it is sometimes a couple of months after harvest until we reach our target temperatures. cold, dry autumn nights are the key, to keep fans on flat out.

It does indeed, we actually have a Grain Butler stirring auger that we use in the grainstore just to keep it moving and alow the air to flow through the grain better, the harvest student usually gets the pleasure of monitoring its progress. Since having it we have no longer had any more "cliff face" effects in the grain store where grain has been put in damp and then dried on the floor