Massey Ferguson 2000 Series - Model And The Real Deal

i think if i got the 2640 i would change the bonnet decals and put on a massey triangle on the grill,and remove the front mudguards,making it a 1979 version,like the convo i did,only my preference but i prefer the earlier bonnet decal

post-1769-0-47386700-1351425882_thumb.jp

post-1769-0-40912300-1351426122_thumb.jp

Edited by paulali

used to drive a 2640 - 4 wd - in the 80 s in my time driving her never once knew her to let us down would work all day ,when she came to the farm many about us said she was far too big a tractor ! if only we d know how big tractors would become 8)

Didn't realise this topic had escaped me, David. It's a brilliant topic, I must say. As you know this tractor is one of many MF's I have seen plenty of over the past couple of years in my job but you really have photographed some beauties. Mind if I add some of mine?

These were good old tractors good thread you got going here, I know of a 2720 that has spent most of its life hauling logs and still is today and has gone round the clock twice now with hardly any problems

Thanks ever so much Phillip. I'm a huge fan of all types of tractor from the same era as the 2000 series Massey Fergusons, largely because of childhood memories I have. Whilst i'm a novice when it comes to machinery operation I did spend an afternoon aboard a 2680 that appears in this thread and the first model / toy tractor I can recall from my carpet farming days was a Britains dual wheel 2680, so I do have a bit of a soft spot these tractors. Just a shame i've yet to photograph any of the later "electronic" 2005 series.

There's still a good number 2000 series tractors working close to where I live. They certainly still appear to regarded as useful workhorses around here and I still know of several of these tractors that appear in this thread that are putting in the hard yards locally. :)

Didn't realise this topic had escaped me, David. It's a brilliant topic, I must say. As you know this tractor is one of many MF's I have seen plenty of over the past couple of years in my job but you really have photographed some beauties. Mind if I add some of mine?

Thanks Tris, appreciated. Given my own photographic archives I really enjoy setting up threads like this that show examples of the real machines pitted against the models past and present that portray them. I'm considering setting up one or two more similar threads having started to sort through all of my photographs. All 20,000 or more of them. :of

By all means Tris, the more the merrier. Really looking forward to seeing the examples you've captured on your working travels. :)

i think if i got the 2640 i would change the bonnet decals and put on a massey triangle on the grill,and remove the front mudguards,making it a 1979 version,like the convo i did,only my preference but i prefer the earlier bonnet decal

I'd certainly like an accurate example of one of the earlier versions Paul, to match one of my photographs. Tidy conversion you've put together there.

used to drive a 2640 - 4 wd - in the 80 s in my time driving her never once knew her to let us down would work all day ,when she came to the farm many about us said she was far too big a tractor ! if only we d know how big tractors would become 8)

When first saw a 2000 series machine as a kid I thought they were HUGE! :) To a certain degree I still do, imposing bonnet lines, big exhaust, green house like cab. Definitely a favourite of mine. :)

Thanks David, this one came out of Wales from our usual source along with its two siblings.

IMAG0331.jpg

Then there was this one, which left the yard via a container and in the more usual red colour.

10092010569.jpg

Interior shots

10092010572.jpg

10092010573.jpg

Not the same one but another 2680 off for a new life somewhere hot, whilst to many these old tractors die a death and are beyond their owners mechanical repair, they often have a lot left to give and are still working hard somewhere now.

14092010586.jpg

An interesting example with reverse drive at Cheffins last year.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

Another which I picked up from Norfolk with the 590 beside it, both with after market turbos.

DSCN0438.jpg

At last! I knew there was one somewhere! A rebuilt one awaiting a container one morning in the yard.

IMAG1039_zps10f261b9.jpg

• Like 3

I can only think it was on some sort of brush cutter / stump grinder being that the diesel tanks have also been moved up infront of the cab.

Certainly looks like a solid base tractor for such a task. :) Found another miniature version residing in my photographs. This time a smart Britains based 2wd conversion put together by the late Phil Hairsine. This model was part of a tribute display put on to remember Phil at the Chris Whitehead Memorial Show earlier in the year. Lovely looking model.

P1160307_zps28b196be.jpg

• Like 1