Massey Ferguson 2000 Series - Model And The Real Deal

In light of the most recent photographs Atte has posted up to forum of Universal Hobbies's endeavours to model the Massey Ferguson 2620 and 2640 I thought i'd put this topic together. Whilst I'm no expert on the "ins and outs" of the real machine I do have fond memories of the 2000 series tractors. It was a Britains dual wheeled 2680 that I remember as the first toy tractor to appear on my fledgling carpet farming operation back in the early eighties. Secondly I also had the opportunity to spend an afternoon aboard a friend's 2680 at harvest around 10 years ago.

Having regrettably sold my original very play worn Britains example around the time i'd convinced myself I was too old for pushing toys around the lounge I now have another to remind me of my childhood. My example came mint-in-box from Spalding three years ago and is one of my favourite older Britains tractors in my collection. Naturally i'm now rather keen and curious to see how the Universal Hobbies models turn out once they're ready for release.

Here's my own Britains dual wheeled 2680.

P1130770.jpg

Another Britains example that forms part of Dave Arthur's sugar beet harvesting scene.

P1120193-1.jpg

I spy a Gama 2640 on this stand I photographed at Zwolle last year.

P1120923-1.jpg

Whilst here's Johny MF's wonderful 2725 conversion seen on his stand at Zwolle.

P1130310-1.jpg

Some great tractors youve photographed in the past David!

Love the 2720! what a beast!

I am honored that you place my conversion here in the topic ;)

Kind regards Johny ;)

You're more than welcome Johny, that's a really smart tractor you've put together and it was great to see it on display at Zwolle last year. :)

Thanks ever so much too. Enjoyed sorting through the 2000 series tractors i've photographed over the years. Agree with you regards the 2720 tractors, proper beasts! :)

The pair i've photographed live on farms close to each other and are still worked regularly. Just need to find some 2005 series tractors to photograph now, a range i've seemingly missed with the camera lens so far.

You're more than welcome Johny, that's a really smart tractor you've put together and it was great to see it on display at Zwolle last year. :)

Thanks ever so much too. Enjoyed sorting through the 2000 series tractors i've photographed over the years. Agree with you regards the 2720 tractors, proper beasts! :)

The pair i've photographed live on farms close to each other and are still worked regularly. Just need to find some 2005 series tractors to photograph now, a range i've seemingly missed with the camera lens so far.

??? I wasn't aware of this sub-series. The only machines I know that could fall into this category are the 6 cylinder 2725, and North-American made 2745 (Perkins V8). Can anyone name any others?

• 8 months later...

Here's a few more examples of the "real deal" i've captured this year. Starting with the 2wd 2620 I photographed at a recent working day on bus duty, followed by a pair of 2640 4wd machines being offered for sale at the Tractor World auction earlier in the year.

P1240737_zpsc347eb1f.jpg

P1140600_zps0cab0239.jpg

P1140653_zps3bb5a427.jpg

Having now seen a little more of the finished models that Universal Hobbies have released it's a line up that i'm quite keen to develop in the future especially given the photographs i've taken of the real machines that I've captured over the past decade or more. That said if I want replicate some of these pictures one or two "tweaks" are certainly going to have to be made to the base models themselves. The front mudguards fitted to the 4wd versions are going to have to disapear for starters. :)

• Like 1

as with all models david i m pretty sure the front mudguards were an option,the ones i seen i must admit never had the front mudguards,or should i say the majority of the 2000 series i seen didnt have them fitted

I've seen a good number of the later 2005 series tractor fitted with them but unfortunately I haven't photographed any of them Paul. Having seen Sean's example i'm definitely going to be purchasing the cage wheeled 2620 to leave alone, but the rest, I may well be requesting a few small modifications to recreate some of the tractors i've photographed. :)

got to have them models looking as you would like them david,look forward to seeing them when done

Thank you. It's a theme i'm quite keen to continue now Paul. Having models converted to match the tractors portrayed in some of my photographs, especially if they're from the 80s'. If I find any other variations of 2000 series Massey Ferguson tractors whether they be the "real deal" or models I discover at shows I attend i'll be sure to post them to this topic.

• Like 1