What Do You Grow In Your Garden

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that was my garden rabbit stew and pigeon pie would be next weeks menu! The old saying about tilling seeds  is 'one for the Rook, one for the Crow, one to rot and one to grow'. My saying is 'one to rot, three to grow, non for the Rook or the bloody Crow!'

Willow...well I hope not............... since today I attached this willow fencing to be used for sweet peas. The bit at the right hand side is temporary and will be cut and then used to go along the rear of the French Cub shed / spray booth shed and up towards the front of my house together with another 4 meter length of willow. I'll need to take down part of the fence and get a couple of posts and cement "shoes" into the ground. Yet another job to add to my to do list.

P1030505_zps6c78e614.jpg

After checking the weather forecast for frost over the next week I decided it was time to remove the fleece and nets from the tatties at the folks. Nice sunny day so I'll be hoeing chick weed this afternoon me thinks.

P1030506_zps4e1e3a57.jpg

P1030507_zps14a051db.jpg

P1030508_zpse0ff3307.jpg

P1030509_zpsaa02ed23.jpg

P1030510_zps392ef14f.jpg

Yes they are doing quite well and I'm very pleased with them so I say it myself Robert 8)

Today I was fitting a new throttle cable to dad's rotovator but I could not get it to work correctly so I jumped in car and went back home thinking I'll use my one. When I found the rotors for mine there were only rotors and no blades so I could not use it. I could not swap dad's rotors on to mine since I tried that in the past and the splines on my drive shafts were well worn. Any way I took my rotovator back to the folks so at least I will be able to see the correct set up for the throttle at the engine end. In addition I bought a new recoil starter so I'll put that on my one and leave my one on dad's until I get around to arresting the recoil spring and fixing the broken pull cord. Oh the joys of using classic machines....but random thoughts I could make a Doe Howard 350 ;D  ;D

Mind on overtime perhaps I could make a Howard 350 Doe ;D  ;D

P1030521_zps04bfae24.jpg

Maybe not I need to get this throttle mechanism to work on dad's younger model first :laugh:  :laugh: 

P1030522_zps65f94b4e.jpg

Surely I can ...surely anyone can copy if the pattern is there :huh: 

P1030523_zps9e8fef42.jpg

Anyway the tatties at the folks after the hoed chickweed  from yesterday was raked off this lunchtime...but now the rain is on :angry:  :angry: 

P1030524_zpsffecf9d5.jpg

Bill we want pictures and a video I you make this Howard doe :D it would certainly be a fun thing to have.

On the garden side of things my brother sister and mum try growing abit every year mainly flowers like sweet pea but also some veg. I think this year it's broccoli, tomatoes, peas and strawberries, not forgetting the pumpkins which we try and grow for Halloween each year :)

Well over the past few days being catching up in mums garden. First the begonias and white and blue lobelia planted out.

P1030631_zpsc6e04e3e.jpg

Despite fitting a new throttle the old Howard 350 was unwilling to run but the tatties were getting to big in bits to get in between so I decided to dig between the drill with a graip.

P1030630_zps1166a2af.jpg

P1030635_zps9fd3488b.jpg

P1030636_zpseb2db6e1.jpg

P1030677_zpsff70cf31.jpg

Aye they are doing well David. Need to get them drilled up over the weekend or next week at the latest me thinks. Mum was saying they have been planted 7 weeks now so another 5 to 7 weeks and we should be sampling new ones me thinks 8)

My garden, after a very late start due to firs the wet and then the intense cold early spring, 3 weeks late, is starting to look like a garden now with the beetroot and carrots now visible, the 2 rows of peas are coming on as is the onion setts and shallots, I planted out the sweetcorn plants on Wednesday and courgette plants today. The short row of raspberries are now just coming to flower and the Black Hamburg grape in one of the greenhouses is coming back to life. I'm not one for flowers but just like a few in pots and tubs just to add a little colour, the red flowers in the first picture is a Peony.

post-806-0-43985900-1370688077_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-31102700-1370688095_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-14529800-1370688110_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-38365800-1370688126_thumb.jpg   post-806-0-25060600-1370688141_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I dug out an old hand drill plough and though I would try it out to ridge up the potatoes since I was unable to get the rotovator going and well the shaws were now too big for it to get through without damaging them. When I tried it at first it was not going deep enough so my uncle Jim said it needed more weight. Well we had just the thing....a cast iron base from an old fashioned tennis pole....it really just sat on the plough and looked as though it was made for the job ;D  ;D

P1030686_zps4d7957b3.jpg

P1030687_zps6a83bf92.jpg

My uncle Jim cleaning the plough. They will need a second pass but I'm going to take the angle grinder and wire brush and clean them up a bit first.

P1030689_zps71788f3b.jpg

P1030690_zpse0ba746e.jpg

P1030688_zps5f5d74b6.jpg

That's the biggest problem with growing in the garden, the sparrows, they seem to wait until your peas are about an inch high and then they pull them up, eat the pea and leave the shoot. The allotment growers in a nearby small town here have trouble with Jackdaws digging up their broad and runner beans, blackbirds eating their soft fruit and anything that actually grows to maturity or a useable size gets nicked before they have chance to pick or dig it themselves!. I generally save my own garden seeds, such as peas, broad and runner beans to grow the next year but I always buy a packet of treated seed, they are coated in a pink powder, and mix with my own seed, this stops the birds.

We hang old cd's off fishing line a few of them around the garden keeps the some kinds of birds away as they don't like the sun shining off them and flickering.

I wonder if that would deter cats as well Ol...I know they don't like water in plastic lemonade bottles or moth balls ;D  ;D

Well lack of rain and I thought I had better water my tatties....whether it will help that dead hedge I don't know but I suspect I need to buy some green gloss paint and give it a spray :unsure:  :huh: 

P1030811_zpsf76db7d9.jpg

This years bedding plants have been a disaster but mind you I was hardly ever at home to water and tend to them but at least the begonias should pot up and the dahlias from seed will be alright although a bit late.

P1030812_zpsf22aff21.jpg

Sweet peas planted but again very late...maybe have to feed them up

P1030813_zps412d5895.jpg

I must get that wishing well planted again once I get the well fixed ;D  ;D

P1030814_zps1cd01702.jpg

P1030814_zps1cd01702.jpg

Today I decided to put on 4.8kg of Westland's patch fix on mum's lawn's since I had weed killed dandelions with Roundup and killed quite a bit of grass as well.But hey ho the fix only cost £ 10.79 from Costco of course ;D  ;D

P1030815_zps6c8104a1.jpg

P1030816_zps9f3ae4db.jpg

I hope it does what it says on the side of the tin ;D  ;D

P1030817_zps10c7915a.jpg

P1030818_zps4d0ed2d4.jpg

Archived