What Do You Grow In Your Garden

We used to have this topic in the old forum. Sadly my grass is looking rather sickly. I don't know if it needs a bit of a feed to kick start it or maybe a scarify :huh:

Next door's looks nice a green but she pays for an ex green keeper to come and care for it every so often.

ST839405.jpg

ST839406.jpg

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pass me your address Neils and I will send some of my colleagues round to take that problem off your hands, you won't need to bother with planning your meals for the next few months either...............assuming you like porage :police: :police: :police: :police:

We used to have this topic in the old forum. Sadly my grass is looking rather sickly. I don't know if it needs a bit of a feed to kick start it or maybe a scarify :huh:

Next door's looks nice a green but she pays for an ex green keeper to come and care for it every so often.

ST839405.jpg

ST839406.jpg

hello bc. i would say your grass isnt looking to bad. it seems to have a good, even growth pattern.[and no weeds]. my grass looks much the same this time of year. i add a gentle dose of npk [nitrogen,phosphate,potash] in ealy spring to perk it up, either granual or liquid. the nitrogen gives it a better colour and the p&k help the roots.my neighbour waters his in spring with a liquid seaweed feed, to great results.

It just looks so so yellow Chris There is a retired farm work down the road from me and his is always nice and green in fact he has cut it this year already. I don't know what exactly he applies but I sure ever year he must spread lime on it since well its white and not snow. I'll have to have a look in Costco to see what lawn care stuff they have in but its maybe just early enough to apply just now with still the risk of frost :huh:

I was selecting seed potatoes at the weekend. Also begonias down from the loft so they can start to sprout.

How is the supply of seed potatoes? My grandfather sells them and said that there is a talk of a possible shortage of seed potatoes this year. We ordered some early from him this year. Last year he had around 50 bu. and my uncle bought about 95% of them so he could plant them for his store. :of We beat him to it this year though. ;D ;D

It just looks so so yellow Chris There is a retired farm work down the road from me and his is always nice and green in fact he has cut it this year already. I don't know what exactly he applies but I sure ever year he must spread lime on it since well its white and not snow. I'll have to have a look in Costco to see what lawn care stuff they have in but its maybe just early enough to apply just now with still the risk of frost :huh:

if it is lime he is putting on, he shoud'nt need to put it on every year. on the farm we only add lime if needed to acidic soil very occasionally, i.e 10 year intervals. soil p.h testing kits are very cheap from most garden centres and you maybe might think about testing your soil, they are easy to use. my grandad, god rest his soul, swore by his testing kit. if any plant in his garden was struggling, the first line of investigation was the soil p.h level. your man down the road wants to hope you dont have a sharp frost, that will make newly cut grass go yellow for a few weeks. i know up north you have had a lot of rain in recent months, this can also make crops/grass look yellow due to water-logging. going back to my grandad, every spring he would aerate the lawns by going over it sticking a fork in 6 to 8 inches deep, he swore it helped drainage. hope this helps bc, be sure to post pics of your lawn in may, i would love to see it in all its late spring glory. rgds, chris.

Yes I sure aerating it with a fork would do it good Chris but its the thought of the time it would take frightens me....mind you now that it is getting lighter at nights I should maybe just start doing a section at a time. May take a while but as my old man always used to say if I was trying to speed him up he would retort "Rome wasn't built in a day" ;D ;D

Many many years ago when my dad worked at an Agricultural College he borrowed a machine that took cores out of the grass. Well I wish I had never seen the machine since it looped about like a "puddock" ( frog) and not only that had a leaking petrol connection so I think it did more harm to the grass than good.

How is the supply of seed potatoes? My grandfather sells them and said that there is a talk of a possible shortage of seed potatoes this year. We ordered some early from him this year. Last year he had around 50 bu. and my uncle bought about 95% of them so he could plant them for his store. :of We beat him to it this year though. ;D ;D

I honestly don't know about supply in Scotland Luke. I only grow a small amount since well they seem to taste much nicer just dug and boiled. I just normally keep out seed from the previous years crop...sometimes swapping seed with my dad for a change of ground....don't know if that makes any difference or not ...but well dad seems to think so.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm determined to get my grass looking better this year. Bought two bags 17.5 kg bags of Lawnfeed weed and moss killer and Aftercut lawn feed & conditioner. Still to early to apply but its nice to have in stock for when the time comes.

ST839504.jpg

ST839505.jpg

Absolutely no point in me applying any of that - having two ******* weeing in one particular place means nothing grows there and during the winter where they chase around (usually 'cos they are in a hurry to get back indoors) it looks like I have had a motocross rally or have been invaded by off-roaders on a jaunt!

I have given up on that lawn at least and the big "lawn" is 400-year old ley. I could, I suppose, give that a weed and feed compound and a going over with moss control, and then seed the patches (which would mean almost all of it)...

...could being the operative word ::)

Absolutely no point in me applying any of that - having two ******* weeing in one particular place means nothing grows there and during the winter where they chase around (usually 'cos they are in a hurry to get back indoors) it looks like I have had a motocross rally or have been invaded by off-roaders on a jaunt!

I have given up on that lawn at least and the big "lawn" is 400-year old ley. I could, I suppose, give that a weed and feed compound and a going over with moss control, and then seed the patches (which would mean almost all of it)...

I would not say I'm a keen gardener Sue like my next door neighbour but I do like to see a tidy looking one and with lush green grass plus I like to work out doors ...makes a pleasant change from working in an office which has air conditioning but being at a window on the sunny side I usually start to get sleepy around 2pm.

Well every ones garden looks much the same in snow Markus...but believe me I'm happy to look at tired looking grass this year rather the the snow we had in the past few years.

I would not say I'm a keen gardener Sue like my next door neighbour but I do like to see a tidy looking one and with lush green grass plus I like to work out doors ...makes a pleasant change from working in an office which has air conditioning but being at a window on the sunny side I usually start to get sleepy around 2pm.

My big lawn does look lush - it is just that most of the green is sphagnum moss! Lovely for hanging baskets though and I do not need to buy any!

Pass me your address Neils and I will send some of my colleagues round to take that problem off your hands, you won't need to bother with planning your meals for the next few months either...............assuming you like porage :police: :police: :police: :police:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: too funny Mike, porage oh yum

Ahhh the first signs of spring. ;D ;D We still have a few weeks, I think... Bit of an odd winter here, one week it is freezing and there is 6 inches of snow on the ground and the next week it all melts. I cant complain though. 8) Looks like the new camera does a nice job, how do you like it?

Last year my Arizona garden did well. We got 3 bushel per acre of Scorpions, 1 bushel per acre of Diamond Back Rattlers, over 100 bushel of Cactus Thorns, mmmm yummmy. Would of done better but it hit 40 c here early and dried up my hoe....good news is the sweet corn is in the market as well as strawberries and watermelon..so shopping is what I do....wish I had a little tractor like Lord Fergunson then I could plant some sand ;)

Archived