What Do You Grow In Your Garden

Looks like your garden stuff Bill is a lot further on than it is down here, my spuds are only half that height, they were tilled the week before Easter. Most everything else is in the same position, nothing has been moving much, it's been too cold over night and early mornings. Today it's been the other extreme, 23.7C at 5,00pm and the next 4 or 5 days are going to be the same according to the local forecast.

Same as what I use I think, a turquoise coloured powder that you mix with water called Bordeaux powder, you apply it either with a sprayer or a rose on a watering can, same stuff stops tomato blight also, the tomato being of the same family as the potato. you have to re-spray once a week.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you use to control blight on your tatties Bill

Yes the stuff below Tim told me about a few years ago Steve.

Looks like your garden stuff Bill is a lot further on than it is down here, my spuds are only half that height, they were tilled the week before Easter. Most everything else is in the same position, nothing has been moving much, it's been too cold over night and early mornings. Today it's been the other extreme, 23.7C at 5,00pm and the next 4 or 5 days are going to be the same according to the local forecast.

Same as what I use I think, a turquoise coloured powder that you mix with water called Bordeaux powder, you apply it either with a sprayer or a rose on a watering can, same stuff stops tomato blight also, the tomato being of the same family as the potato. you have to re-spray once a week.

They are almost holding hands Tim and will have been planted 9 weeks tomorrow so I think I will try them in a couple of weeks time.

The spud growers down here Bill always used to say that the time to start new potatoes are just when they've finished flowering, they're big enough then.

On Monday I decided to try a stem of White Duke and Red Duke of Yorks but at just past 9 weeks since being planted they will need to few weeks yet to swell in size. I'm told they tasted alright despite being small ;D  ;D

P1100836_zps845b9088.jpg

Yesterday I had three packets of wallflower and one of Sweet William from a few years back so I decided to sow them and see if they will germinate.In addition I finally got round to planting 3 drills of King Edward and Maris Piper potatoes. I know very late but rather than throw them out and there was spare ground I decided to try them. All I need to remember is to hold on the water after all the heat we have been having over the past few days.

P1100838_zps1aadf851.jpg

P1100839_zps1fefe704.jpg

P1100840_zps1834dab0.jpg

Even these ones were a tab late in being planted on the 16th May but they are fairly jumping.

P1100841_zpsb2da94c6.jpg

My spuds are going to be rubbish this year, they appear to have a disease called leaf roll so are stunted as well, a few have just died off, this was new seed as well, my Brothers spuds are looking really well and those were only small ones we picked out of a bag from the ones he grew last year, I've sprayed mine and being so dry watered them a few nights ago, weather that will save them or no time will tell.

I think I need one of the cat things I think Bill, bloody neighbours cat was through my carrot tubs a few weeks back, to save me replanting I managed to use the double that had came in anther tub to fill in the holes, everything is growing well, my tatties coming along great, were late going in this year was half way through May, just cz the weather was so crap, stuff is taking some watering at night's with this lovely weather we are having though, but will be worth it when get to taste the end product :-)

The shaws on the red Duke of York at Kemnay were going down so after 10 1/2 weeks of growing they were not going to grow any more so I lifted them. Not a huge crop but a size of tattie that will be nice and tasty.

P1100863_zps17659211.jpg

P1100864_zpse2396953.jpg

Still having some Maris Piper sprouted seed left I decided to plant a second crop and well there should still be 3 months of a growing season left so rather than throw them out I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.

P1100865_zps8fd781a0.jpg

P1100866_zps88158494.jpg

We've had 6mm of desperately needed rain here today, nowhere near enough but it will certainly help things and the temperature has been 12 degrees C lower than the day before yesterday. Now that the ground is wet you can see how dry it's been with the brown patches in the grass showing up. I'm off out in the garden now to plant out my parsnips that have been waiting for the right conditions to come out of their pots.

• 2 weeks later...

I lifted a couple of stems of early Aminca potatoes at Kemnay the other day and they were a reasonable crop.

P1110143_zpsea09073b.jpg

My potatoes at home were planted rather late on the 16th May but they are now coming on nicely and the earlies should be ready mid August I hope.

P1110144_zps2b4278cf.jpg

The really late late potatoes planted on 19th June are coming through and there should be no fear of frost 

P1110145_zpsd594aa7a.jpg

Plenty of flowers on the two Hydrangea's this year.

P1110146_zpse7db51d7.jpg

Hopefully the sweet peas should be out in another week. I really like the smell of them as a cut flower in the house.

P1110147_zps119e4a32.jpg

Seems a good year down here for soft fruit, I 've picked  about 30lb's of raspberry's off my short row up to now and about 15lb's of Loganberry's, I've made all the Logan's into jam. Watering my potatoes did do some good but it still doesn't change the fact that they're not going to be very good and are still dying off but there are potatoes under them that are big enough to use so not a total failure. I'm about to start cutting lettuce and it won't be many more days before I am picking peas and the runner beans are coming on, about a week and I'll be able to start picking.

Well the Sweet peas and Tom Thumbs are now starting to flower at Kemnay and I do hope there is enough berries off the bramble bush to add to the 1 ib in the freezer from last year to get some bramble jelly made ;D  ;D

P1110172_zpse10be42e.jpg

P1110173_zps59dfeb65.jpg

P1110174_zps40bd1dcd.jpg

Everything in my garden has all come to once, I've picked 5 large fruit bowls piled up every day for the last ten days with raspberry's, with the loganberry's I've picked I've made 31lbs of jam, and still picking. I've got 97 Webb's Wonderful lettuce fit to cut, runner beans are ready to start picking and I'm cutting courgettes and the tomatoes in the greenhouse are just beginning to ripen.

Went too life a few   of me early spuds only too find that full of   little  baby ---- slugs , which was  was having a field day in many of them ! as i keep me garden more as a wild life park for the birds ,  i dont use slug pellets or the like  but wished i used a beer trap  :laugh:  instead

One week on and I'm pleased at how the now low maintenance back garden is doing at Kemnay. Planters probably need feeding and watering but the Sweet Peas and Tom Thumbs are giving a nice bit of colour. Still some early potatoes to lift and some later salad ones "Pink Fir Apple" but then the second crop of lates I planted  after the earlies are coming on nicely  ;D  ;D

P1110202_zpscd0cbad0.jpg

P1110203_zps12487f72.jpg

P1110204_zps28e53d8f.jpg

P1110205_zpsdd70c71a.jpg

The front garden and my late dad's last new car a 1999 V reg 1.2  16 valve Corsa which is not worth a lot but more sentimental value to me but with him having owned it from new with original purchase invoice and FSH and receipts from the Grange Garage at Peterhead. 8)  I must admit I quite like having a run in it and with nearly 99k on the clock it still drives well..but not the same comfort as the Audi Quattro A4 ;D  ;D  

P1110206_zpsc0ff41f9.jpg

P1110207_zpsf5b631e5.jpg

P1110208_zps632b749d.jpg

Due to other jobs and commitments I only got my tattie's planted the Friday before BA Stores....but after the rain today I'm happy with the crop from 2 stems of white Duke of Yorks...

P1110213_zpsc07c1ec8.jpg

• 9 months later...

Well, I am Rob. Vegetable garden is as follows:

Spuds: Maris peers, Maris bard, Saxon and foremost.

Carrots are main crop and chantanay.

Onions are stuttgarter giant.

I have two rows of summer cauliflowers in, two rows of Savoy cabbage and two rows of sprouts in. These I grew from seed.

Runner beans and French climbing beans were planted out today.

Six courgettes plants, yellow and green varietys.

Lettuces are out, these are iceberg.

Rubharb is cropping well at the moment.

Sweetcorn and winter cauliflowers and purple sprouting will be grown from seed and planted behind the spuds.

One great looking row of beetroot is coming along nicely as well.

Sounds great Chris where I live now we don't have a garden but I've a few pots and window boxes growing out my back also picked up a standing greenhouse at the weekend and it's been put to work this is my back yard no much room would love to grow veg ever so if anyone has any ideas let me know

post-2570-0-60913700-1432498587_thumb.jp

post-2570-0-10381800-1432498746_thumb.jp

post-2570-0-81679000-1432498894_thumb.jp

post-2570-0-62303300-1432498998_thumb.jp

post-2570-0-21392000-1432499074_thumb.jp

I'm still tending my 1/8th acre garden, early Onward peas were tilled on Easter Sunday and are now about 6 inches high and climbing the net nicely, I use a roll of electric sheep netting for that, not electrified! The 3 rows of spuds were tilled the same day, row and a half of Arran Pilot first earlies,  the others are Wilja, second earlies, all banked up and looking good. Runner beans (painted lady) planted out and climbing the sticks, always start them off by planting the seeds 2 to a pot in the greenhouse first week in April and by the first or second week in May they are ready to plant out and the risk of frost is much less, plant them out in the garden 2, 2, 2 and 2 in a foot square and 4 hazel sticks in a 'wigwam', grew the normal 96 again this year. Short row of broad beans, (Bunyards exhibition) grown the same as the runners, they've been out a couple of weeks now and are about 8" high. Shallots are well on, I always start them in pots as well, they mature earlier and you can lift and dry them off better if you can pull them earlier. Onion setts (Stuttgarter) are doing okay also. Carrots (Early Nantes) and beetroot are about an inch high. Just planted out 75 sweetcorn plants (Sungold) grown from seed, put them out last week and all are doing well. Have also grown a lot of brussel sprout plants from seed this year, kept pricking them out from their trays as and when they were big enough and potted on until big enough to plant out, put out about 80 up to now. Courgette and pumpkins are not quite ready to go out yet.

Talking garden stuff, there was a Wildlife Preservation Trust chap stood behind his pop-up cardboard 'desk' with all his leaflets just inside the local Co-Op last Friday accosting everyone, when he tried to hand me a leaflet I said 'no thanks', he said 'don't you like wildlife?', I said that I did as long as there was gravy with it!, so then I proceeded to give him some home truths about 'wildlife', the pigeons and sparrows pull up your peas and beans, that's if the mice don't get them first, the pigeons and the caterpillars eat your cabbages, the mice bite off your pumpkin and courgette plants in the greenhouse, the blackbirds scoff your raspberry's and strawberries and the squirrels dig out your thatch, then you have the foxes eating your 'free range' chicken and the badgers digging out and destroying all the bees nests, and your chickens!, and both have decimated the ground nesting birds, we used to have a healthy population of skylarks, wild pheasant and partridges, no more! Do I like wildlife?, and should it be preserved?, yes on both counts, but it also has to be controlled to give everything else a chance!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The best day of the week, Sunday dinner! (sorry, it's not Lunch in our house, only posh people have lunch up our way;)) Has to be at 12 o clock, and always tastes better with home grown veg! My stomach's rumbling already!:D

WP_20171105_09_44_42_Pro.jpg

Archived