What Do You Grow In Your Garden

I know the felling Tim I have stopped growing them from seed as well mainly for the same reason as you said and also I can only really eat grilled tomatoes and that is usually only with a Sunday breakfast. Anyway this year I have been promised some plants from a chap at work who I bartered some Pink Fir Apple seed with. He brought me in 1/2 dozen free range eggs since he said his tomato plants were not that big yet. To be honest I'm not too bothered since they can be a bit of a pain when it comes to watering them especially in the Summer season when I'm off quite a lot at shows etc.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I got some more transplanting done and again left them in the garage for an evening or so before moving them back into the greenhouse.

P1010742.jpg

P1010743.jpg

Only one box of lobelia to do so that will be one of this afternoon / evening jobs....think they have been overwatering and suffering"damping down" or something...but hey ho I should have plenty.

P1010744.jpg

Oh and it is certainly a lot cooler in the green house last night from what it was last week

P1010745.jpg

Bill I've planted kerrs pinks which would be use a lot over with us great all rounder spud for boiling&chipping

Your peas seen to be doing well my peas have turn white and I think there dieing ???

Bill do you ever get grubs /leather jacks in your gound ??? Ate me out last year they seem to feed off the small roots of young plants this year my plants were that bit bigger and has seem to done the trick I just hope they are not at my peas

Kerr's Pink a nice all round tattie as you say Robert although I haven't grown that variety for a number of years now.Touch wood I haven't been bothered with grubs or leather jacks well not yet ;D ;D

Yesterday I got the first batch of hardened off begonias and dahlias out of the cold frame and on to the trailer which won't be in use to next Friday evening so I'll have to get these planted out before then in preference to shifting them again ;D ;D

P1010981.jpg

P1010982.jpg

Then the second batch of other annuals out of the greenhouse and into the cold frame to harden off ( Ageratum, Salvia's, Asters,Antirrhinum and Cinceraria Silverdust)

P1010983.jpg

Then the blue Lobelia ( I think) out of the garage and into the greenhouse

P1010984.jpg

Yesterday evening I was amazed to see some dropped grass cuttings from the last time I cut my grass had actually seeded.........you probably won't see this from this photo (you would in a high resolution one).... but I can assure you it is no word of a lie ;D ;D .......in addition my next door neighbour Moira who is a very keen gardener said she was noticing that the grass on her lawn's were actually seeding......she actually pays a grass "person" (ex greenkeeper) to come and do what needs to be done through out the year to make a lawn look good...anyway on with the pictures...

P1010985.jpg

I thought it was about time to "fur" (aka ridge up) the tatties yesterday just in case of a late frost which we can still actually get in the first week of June in rural Aberdeenshire.

P1010986.jpg

Unfortunately my "smiddy aka blacksmith" ridger was not available for use and had been taken over by a very nice plant which has lovely red flowers but I can't remember what it is called :huh:

P1010987.jpg

Anyway I ridged up with a "hoe" instead 8)

P1010988.jpg

Yesterday I was a mazed to see a dahlia tuber grown from seed last year had survied though the winter in the ground and has grown again this year 8)

P1020006.jpg

Begonias went into the garage and have done alright over the past week...back outside and time to pot up tomorrow afternoon / evening me thinks

P1020293.jpg

Tatties are starting to come through now 8)

P1020294.jpg

Over the past two days I have potted up more begonias than I care to count....beginning to run short of suitable sized pots and compost so In think I get some more compost and fill some planters and plant the smaller ones in those and the larger one just direct into the flower beds.After the rain yesterday afternoon I decided against taking a tractor to the steam fair today so at least I won't have to empty the trailer ;D ;D

P1020309.jpg

P1020310.jpg

P1020311.jpg

P1020312.jpg

Please ignore my last post it did not work after the update...and I cannot delete it..but hey ho thanks to Andy we are up and running again.....updates from my gardening work over the past few days in what was rather wet condition's but hey ho its saves any watering 8)

Well maybe it is photobucket which is playing up now :unsure:

And update over the last week

Tatties coming on some bigger than others but then again I have 5 different varieties.

P1020444.jpg

P1020445.jpg

This will be a difficult road to rope

P1020446.jpg

P1020448.jpg

P1020447.jpg

P1020454.jpg

P1020455.jpg

P1020456.jpg

P1020457.jpg

And I still have these to plant out...never mind the more plants the less space for weeds to grow.This will be my job for this afternoon having decided to give the rally at Stonehaven a miss....I rather get a soaking at home rather than at a show.

P1020458.jpg

I stopped over at the folks last night and was amazed to see the growth in their tatties over the past 2 weeks

P1020382.jpg

P1020496.jpg

P1020385.jpg

P1020499.jpg

Soon need a final furrow up me things.

I gave the grass an application of after cut conditioner so we will see what effect this has over the next few weeks

P1020498.jpg

P1020497.jpg

Teddies are looking pretty good Bill, you'll have to keep an eye on them this wet weather for any blight, you should be able to start digging for new potatoes just after they've flowered. I notice that the row of peas I tilled in my garden last sunday are just beginning to break the surface.

Archived