What Do You Grow In Your Garden

This cold and wet weather is no good for men like our self Bill over with me it's the wind that's killing me I don't want to be putting small plants out and the cold wind kill hem off like last year.

You have a bit of work ahead of you Bill planting out I've had to dig my ground 3 tImes this year as the rain has battered the ground down but I'm off all this week and the weather seems to be good so I hope to get things out

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know Rober but I plant them so close the weeds don't get the same chance to grow ;D ;D

I would never plant out stuff in Aberdeenshire until the fist week in June is past since there is still a risk of frost.

My plan for last night was to get the drills up but it turned showety when I got home. Gave it a rake over hoping today it would be sunny...but alsa not back to rain again :angry:

P1010456.jpg

P1010457.jpg

Belive it or not. I started landscaping my garden around a month ago. I built a house 4 years ago,but never got around to doing my garden til now. Ive spent the month raking stones & leveling between the rainy days then sprayed. Painfull job when your talking 1/3 of an acre . I set the lawn seed a week ago & of course when you want a wee bita rain ,ther aint none!! ::) Plenty when i was trying my best to rake it.

Put up 6 shorter than normal tattie drills at 26 inches apart and i'm leaving them to skim up a bit before I put the compost in later on today. Forecast is looking good for tomorrow so I hope the compost dries up and I can get the tatties planted tomorrow evening...almost a month later than normal...but I'm sure nature will catch up :unsure:

P1010638.jpg

Looking good there Bill agood week ahead over with us so I will have this rest of our veg out. Just sprayed our spuds for blite well I got mrs Nats to do it wile I took a picture ha ha! will get it posted up sometime today for you.

First really fine day of the year and I am off work so, decided to make a proper job of the lawn, scarified and mown

002-13.jpg

Hopefully the warmth will help the veggies come on although the spuds are already getting on quite well

003-11.jpg

First really fine day of the year and I am off work so, decided to make a proper job of the lawn, scarified and mown

002-13.jpg

Hopefully the warmth will help the veggies come on although the spuds are already getting on quite well

003-11.jpg ....nice looking lawn robbo, now get that hedge cut!

At last the tatties are in. They are quite well sprouted so I hope they manage to catch up despite being 3 weeks later than normal. Watered as well by that to deter the pesky cats scraping.

P1010653.jpg

P1010654.jpg

Drill plough at the ready when it comes to furring up

P1010657.jpg

P1010658.jpg

Dahlias and begonias hardening off in the cold frame

P1010656.jpg

Bill and Mike you have been busy boys i must say things are looking well.

Just a few picture of my spuds and how there getting on.

First up Mrs Nats spraying this was took last Sunday.

001-12.jpg

Took this picture last night.

015-1.jpg

Will get more pictures today when I get home from work.

I see you have a few of the dreaded dandelions as well Robert. There was a row of them alongside the kerb on the folks lawn and I treated them twice and seems to have killed them. The second time the hand sprayer would not work or I just poured the mixture over them...I think overdosing them did the trick ;D ;D ...now I see there are fair number of buttercups appearing so I' ll need to see if the same stuff will do the trick on them too.

Yesterday early evening I was going to plant the sweet peas at the folks but oh it was rather warm and a cold beer was a better option ;D ;D

P1010688.jpg

P1010690.jpg

It was even warm inside the garage,

P1010691.jpg

Today I separated the five varieties and planted them so hopefully they will be in the shade until later in the afternoon when the

sun gets round to the back garden.

P1010692.jpg

P1010693.jpg

On Saturday I did some transplanting but given the heat I decided to leave then in the shade of the garage and I would put them directly from there into the cold frame on Monday.

To hot to leave unsupervised in greenhouse

P1010711.jpg

P1010712.jpg

P1010715.jpg

Still have some to do yet

P1010716.jpg

P1010714.jpg

It was even quite warm in garage but at least they won't burn up in there for a day or two.

P1010719.jpg

A lot cooler than the weekend so I decided to transfer the boxed up ones out of the garage and back into the greenhouse for another week to encourage growth.

P1010734.jpg

P1010735.jpg

P1010736.jpg

I've tilled nothing in my garden as yet, only just finished turning it over with the shovel yesterday, ground was so wet after all the rain it needed a week to dry out enough to work. Roped my Brother into helping me put new points, condenser and plug in the Merry Tiller rotovator this afternoon and cleaned up the mag and flywheel, he left it in his garden all winter uncovered so he had to help me get it going. Just been out and rotovated the garden, will need several more passes before it's ready to till anything. Tomato plants in the greenhouse are flowering.

I'm getting the feeling I'm not as quite as behind as I thought I was Tim...I'm surprised you are so late in the garden as you are...mind you I'm jealous that your tomato plants are already flowering...I have yet to get some promised tomato plants via the barter system which I like to use...no cash or cheque involved and no tax either ;D ;D

Bought 4 Alicante tom plants from the local market last Wednesday Bill, they were already around 9" high in their pots and flowers just about to come, £1 each so I picked out the strongest looking and they're doing niceley, chap said that he grows the plants in a cold house and plants the seed pretty early, they say you should till tomato seed second week in february in the greenhouse, he tills them last week in January. I've only ever once grown toms from seed but the trouble was that I ended up with about a hundred plants that Ihad no use for and had a hard job even to give them away so I'd rather buy just as many plants as I want to grow rather than waste any.

Archived