What Do You Grow In Your Garden

Last year my Arizona garden did well. We go 3 bushel per acre of Scorpions, 1 bushel per acre of Diamond Back Rattlers, over 100 bushel of Cactus Thorns, mmmm yummmy. Would of done better but it hit 40 c here early and dried up my hoe....good news is the sweet corn is in the market as well as strawberries and watermelon..so shopping is what I do....wish I had a little tractor like Lord Fergunson then I could plant some sand ;)

What's wrong with the wild variety? ::) I personally would plant a rock garden if I lived in your lush area. They say it is verrrrry therapeutic watching rocks grow,

Well, Bill, my primroses are blooming too, and snowdrops. Daffodils are a disappointment this year the late snow has taken its toll and the road through the village only has the odd flower or two on the verges instead of a blaze of yellow from one end to the other.

My Christmas Roses were late and my azalea which is normally thick with fat buds in January is only just beginning to develop them. Likewise the Mahonia Japonica has no flowers yet and the early vibernum which is usually covered in pink early January has only just started to break.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's wrong with the wild variety? ::) I personally would plant a rock garden if I lived in your lush area. They say it is verrrrry therapeutic watching rocks grow,

Well, Bill, my primroses are blooming too, and snowdrops. Daffodils are a disappointment this year the late snow has taken its toll and the road through the village only has the odd flower or two on the verges instead of a blaze of yellow from one end to the other.

My Christmas Roses were late and my azalea which is normally thick with fat buds in January is only just beginning to develop them. Likewise the Mahonia Japonica has no flowers yet and the early vibernum which is usually covered in pink early January has only just started to break.

Did you get any Turquoise while in Ariizona???

Crocus are out with us but a little bit of wind and rain and they disappear as quick as they came out. Daffodils are coming on nicely and should be in bloom in another week or so'''just in time for Mother's day ;D ;D

Did you get any Turquoise while in Ariizona???

I did get some earrings but not sure whether I got those while in Arizona. Mind you I was there four days which was the longest time I spent in any state except California so the answer is a probable "Yes"

Crocus are out with us but a little bit of wind and rain and they disappear as quick as they came out. Daffodils are coming on nicely and should be in bloom in another week or so'''just in time for Mother's day ;D ;D

Too early for my crocuses but our roadside daffodils (which we had to have a LICENCE to plant) are usually a blaze of glory long before Mother's Day. Those in front of my house are among the first and often are open at the end of January because they get the benefit of the early morning sun long before the rest ever see it as my house faces NE or rather more ENE

Back garden..Primroses just beginning to come out ...but so is the chick weed and I must replant the "polys" out and get started to digging the veggie plot

P1000019.jpg

Old Daffy bulbs in the greenhouse have yet to show any sign of buds

P1000020.jpg

Poly's at the front..but with that horrid looking grass :wub:

P1000021.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I was across at the folks at Kemnay and before we did the shopping run I forked out the chick weed in the back garden. I then decided to look out dad's Howard 350 rotovator which he has never used in his own garden and he has lived here for 16 years. He once did a neighbour's garden but it must have been around 15 years since it last ran.

I had a little bid of moving junk and putting it up in the garage loft before I could actually get near the machine.

ST839538.jpg

Once outside I brushed the cobwebs from the old girl and left her in the sun to warm up. There has been an off the market petrol tank fitted and she lacks an exhaust and dad could not remember if it ever had an exhaust in the time he owned it. Anyway I gave the engine a pull over a few times and it blew rubbish from where the exhaust should have been. On the 3rd or fourth pull it sounded as if she was going to fire so that was encouraging.

ST839540.jpg

The machine must be around about the same age or younger than the one I have and mine was new in 1967. It's fitted with a Kohler Engine model K141 and I see a replacement exhaust can be had on ebay for £ 6.99 but I'll bet that does not include the studs and I'm not sure what the thread size is.

ST839541.jpg

Anyway after lunch I removed and cleaned the plug and tested for spark. Dad assured me there was a cracker of a spark so things were looking encouraging. I then checked the engine oil level and added some oil as it was a bit low. Next a splash of Briggs and Stratton fuel fresh fit additive and a small amount of petrol to see if the old girl would fire up. Choke on and a few pulls on the recoil starter and she roared into life...roar being the appropriate word given no exhaust and the throttle Bowden cable stuck at full throttle. Anyway time to see if she would rotovate. Sure enough she engaged in low gear and also the rotovator drive and away I went and did a couple of runs before she went dry of petrol. There was a slight leak from the canvas coated looking petrol pipe but this soon stopped as the pipe must have dried up given the numbers of years she has sat idle. A replacement pipe will not be a big job to do after I find some pipe at home. Despite running at full throttle I decided to press ahead given the nice day and the fact the governors would kick in when she was working.

The finished article...far easier on my back than digging ;D ;D

ST839543.jpg

ST839544.jpg

On to the grass at the side for a quick wash to remove the earth from the wheels

ST839545.jpg

ST839546.jpg

Back in the garage and I removed the throttle handle and got out the good old WD40 and sprayed down the bowden cable to see if that will allow the cable to operate properly. I may give her at try again today but working in the opposite direction from yesterday. I have a drill plough attachment at home but oh I don't know if I would be able to put up straight drills or not...but heck the tattie will grow all the same whether they are planted in straight or in fact bendy drills ;D ;D

Personally I was going to have the back garden in chuckies but well dad wasn't keen on that despite the fact he is no longer fit enough to do much in the garden.

There was a slight white frost on the ground this morning but before 9am the sun was up and it was a very pleasant day. I got out the old Howard 350 again added some more petrol and turned on the fuel opened the choke and the old girl fired up on the first pull. Still running at full throttle but the clutch was working fine and on I went to rotovate the back garden for the second time. My intention was to rotovate at 90 degrees to yesterday but with her running at full throttle I didn't want to use the clutch too often so I just went over it again the same way again and by the time I had finished the ground was skinning up nicely. I need to order up an exhaust via Ebay and get a mechanic friend of dad and me to have a look at the throttle cable problem. It was such a nice feeling to hear and use an old machine that had not been used in 15 years. In comparison dad's less that two year old Mountfield mower still will not start. I cut the grass a few weeks ago them washed it and start it would not. Dad phoned a chap who has a lawnmower repair business and he said leave it out in the sun to dry out. Dad has had it out a few days in the sun and I had it out yesterday and today but start she would not. I was careful not to let water near the engine when washing but I suspect the electronic ignition or whatever system it uses has given way.

P1000440.jpg

P1000439.jpg

Chris it is my folks place really but well effectively mine now after all this time .....with life rent for them....but that is the soil that came with the house which was built in 1995 / 1996.. There have been bags of top soil added from my place from Drumoak in "Royal Deeside" which is about 17 miles away from my folks at Kemnay as I turned my back garden from a garden to a mini industrial estate with 5 wooden shed to store my vintage tractors and other such stuff ;D ;D

Up until 2 years ago dad always hand dug his garden but he is no longer fit to do that but still wants to grow "tatties" in it. If I and mum had had our way we would have covered the back garden with chuckies and the odd shrub or pot plant for an easily maintained garden but well dad didn't want that but as I told him I don't have the time or desire to dig it but I would take the easier option and cultivate it with a machine. Today I think he was quite happy since he said to mum that was £ 40 well spent more than 15 years ago for the old Howard 350 which is now only being used again 8)

thanks for the reply bill, you will have some great spuds on that ground wont you. i wont be growing spuds this year as we are about to enter a hosepipe ban in this part of essex on april the 5'th. it might rain enough to keep them going during the season, but i dont want to risk it. rain will come to essex on the last week of july, just as the combine comes out of the shed. >:(

Nice thread Uncle Billy, you and Marky could make a good pair for the rust bucket brothers league.......Im surprised you not gone the route Marky has and come up with some goofy name for your tiller.....Gertrude or Pansy something like that.....yes I agree lovely looking soil there........sweetcorn is the route I would go....phooey on the spuds.....spuds are cheap.....sweetcorn is the way to go...... :)

No names for her other than the "old girl" Rick. Didn't even have to swear at her once she behaved well apart from running at full throttle and made the task of blackening the ground much easier than digging by hand. I do like sweetcorn but you could hardly substitie it for spuds when yoy have mince and tattie sor haggis neeps and tatties ;D ;D

No names for her other than the "old girl" Rick. Didn't even have to swear at her once she behaved well apart from running at full throttle and made the task of blackening the ground much easier than digging by hand. I do like sweetcorn but you could hardly substitie it for spuds when yoy have mince and tattie sor haggis neeps and tatties ;D ;D

Huh :- Starting to sound like Sean Uncle Billy ;)

Nice to see a old girl doing her bit Bill your soil i must say is in very good order ive my tattys in there at the weekend but thats all i have in :-[ most of my stuff is still in the greenhouse as it still cold at night to plant things out side i even have my tatty under straw and a fleece to keep the cold out :'(

I was as happy as a pig in the proverbial when she fired up so so easily after sitting dormant for about 15 years Bob. It will be another month at the earliest before we plant any tatties since if we plant any earlier there is still a risk of morning frosts and its too big an area to cover with fleece.

So "old girl" is how you refer to her huh....best be careful using that term around Aunty Sue or Aunty Jo :of They might misunderstand and I can tell ya from experience you don't want on the end of their sharp tonques :- Course your far enough north it may not be a problem.....I got a pond between us which helps.. ;)

Are you going to sand it down and repaint it?

Well yes Rick but it does not come with studs to attach to the engine block. :angry: ..but I have a fair old selection of studs of all thread sizes in my garage at home. If no one can tell me the thread size is I have various sets of taps and dies so I shoul be able to work it out.

So "old girl" is how you refer to her huh....best be careful using that term around Aunty Sue or Aunty Jo :of They might misunderstand and I can tell ya from experience you don't want on the end of their sharp tonques :- Course your far enough north it may not be a problem.....I got a pond between us which helps.. ;)

Are you going to sand it down and repaint it?

Rick, Rick, being across the pond is a real problem especially with the language. "Old Girl" is a term of endearment this side of it ::)

Rick, Rick, being across the pond is a real problem especially with the language. "Old Girl" is a term of endearment this side of it ::)

Oh well then Uncle Billy is safe....says when are we going to get a snap of that blue bird that comes to the window??? would like to see it...

I ordered an after market exhaust for my dad's Howard 350 but it did not come with studs. Anyway I phoned the seller who put me on to a company which dealt in Kohler engine spares. After contacting them with model serial and spec number I got the following reply....

Good afternoon Mr Cruickshank

Part number you require is 41 072 18-s but these are priced at £20.10 each plus a £5.00 carriage charge.We would have to get these direct from Italy for you so you would be looking at 1-2 weeks delivery time to avoid supplier charges as well.If you would like to proceed please give us a call on 0844 2092506 with full delivery address and payment details.

Many thanks

I could not believe the prices quoted and thought there must be a mistake. Anyway I decided to remove one of the studs holding on my exhaust. I always cringe when removing exhaust studs or not for the fear of breaking. Anyway the first one I tried would not budge but there was movement in the second. A little bit of patience screwing it backwards and forwards and a spray of WD 40 and it come off no bother. After a look around tins of new UNC studs and nuts I was able to ascertain the thread was 5/16 UNC and a had a fair number of brand new ones. The only thing I had to do was cut back to the same size as the pattern and then a quick tidy up of the end of the thread on the bench grinder. All set for fitting the exhaust to dad's one on Saturday I thought.

I cleaned the threads of the engine block with a 5/16 UNC die but when I came to fit the exhaust only one hole would line up. I guess that is the problem when fitting after market parts and not the genuine ones. Anyway what I will do will be to make a paper gasket patter of the block and then use this to modify the exhaust by filing / reaming one of the hols since it is not far out but far enough to make a perfect fit. That will be a task for next weekend when I have the appropriate gasket paper and tools to hand,

In addition I managed to cure the stuck open throttle problem. It was simply a lack of maintenance and was remedied again with the use of WD 40 and moving the throttle back and forth for a while. I left the exhaust on with one stud and when to start the machine but low and behold the recoil starter would not engage. Off with the starter and I could see a lack of "pawls" or broken ones so that is a job for a mower mechanic who lives along the road from dad me things. I wasn't going to be beaten with the lack of a recoil started since I have started such machines with string wrapped around the pulley / flywheel. The only string I could find at dad's was the old fashioned orange baler string. After a few attempts at it slipping off the pulley and nearly cheese wiring off two fingers I decided that was not the way to go.

I had intended to fit a proper throttle handle which I had in a box of Howard spares but I wanted to try and see if the present one would work first. In addition I need to renew the petrol pipe from tank to carburettor as well. Any slowly but surely I'll get the old girl working the way she should.

P1000575.jpg

P1000576.jpg

P1000577.jpg

The recoil starter from last weekend with the disappearing "pawls"

P1000592.jpg

P1000591.jpg

I was a bit concerned when I saw there had been some grinding away of the slots within the starting pulley / flywheel

P1000590.jpg

Last weekend only really added a new fuel pipe and that has stopped any petrol leaking....its too expensive these days to let it leak out and not be used.

P1000589.jpg

On the way home last Sunday I stooped at a chap I know who has a lawnmower repair business and hoped he would be able to fix it. He had a look at it and said well the pawls are not broken and he said something must have jumped. He said to me simply unscrew the stud and I would probably see the pawls has just jumped. He said sometimes the way to cure that was to add a fibre washer to save any slippage. On Saturday morning I took the stud out and got the pawls in the correct position and simply tighten up the stud again...hey ho they engaged and I was able to pull out and them the starting rope recoiled. Success but the soil was a little wet to try out the rotovator yesterday.

Archived