What is the largest & smallest Spanner in your tool kit ?

I still have some over 1 & 1/2" AF (FORD rear wheel nuts were/are that) but I had a pair of 48" stilsons that I found at a carboot sale for a tenner back in the early 80's which opened up to about 6" in case I ever needed to unscrew the ram caps on our Fiat-Allis artic loader ( but never did!) one of our neighbours bought them in the farm sale May '99 so I know where they are if i need them!! I've never seen another pair as big (American mfr not RECORD like most good stilsons)

The biggest spanner in my tool box is ME ::)

Where I'm currently working they were using a spanner with a 5' length of scaffold pole the other day to tighten up the nuts on the base of a crane

Goodness - that is as long as I am tall! :(

...well, at least the length of the scaffold pole!

Edited by Leakeyvale

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in past Stuart's yesterday I noticed a set of large keys on the floor and I had to ask "is that the biggest spanner you have" ;D ;D ..it wasn't and he pulled some others from below the bench. Longest one is 29 inches long.

P1010215.jpg

Also a heft box key / socket

P1010216.jpg

Whilst out on the Cammachmore recovery he had to go in past Scania and borrow a socket to be used at the weekend to remove a rear hub on his T Cab which requires a replacement seal.

P1010221.jpg

P1010222.jpg

Edited by BC

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got in the garage tonight.... to take the pathetic mudflaps off my new quad... anyway... on the Spanner subject... my biggest turns out to be 50mm...

b04363f7.jpg

I do have a fair old selection...

5d52d168.jpg

and a 24" adjustable too...

b30ca976.jpg

But what about your smallest Spanner.... mine is an 8BA Britool I reckon...

7a9ff55b.jpg

And a set of small 'King ****' metric ones that go as low as 4mm

793e842c.jpg

Good slant on the topic Mark....I have amended to include smallest as well ;D ;D

I keep all my small spanners in an old soap tin. Mainly used for electrical and gauges etc on my tractors.

P1010440.jpg

A handy set from 11mm to 4mm

P1010436.jpg

Some odds and sods

P1010437.jpg

Some more including Britool 6-BA with a broken end at the 4-BA

P1010438.jpg

Finally the smallest set I have a set of mag (magneto) keys

P1010439.jpg

Ah now,if we're allowed to enter into the nonfunctioning world of model spanners,then these must rank amoungst some of the smallest ever produced

1-32scalespanners.jpg

A set of laser etched brass tools / spanners,

Regards

Joe.