Newby hall vintage rally 9th -10th June 2012

convo

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The presence of John Bownes at the show with the Roadless parts business also resulted in some of his tractors being on display including one of my favourites, the 118 S series tractor.

P1190149.jpg

P1190152.jpg

Beautifully restored 94T.

P1190147.jpg

One of my favourite tractors on display, the ultra rare S series 118.

P1190150.jpg

P1190151.jpg

Also seen displayed amongst the Ford conversions, this equally impressive Roadless converted International 634.

P1190148.jpg

That International 634 Roadless looks good especially with the IH front weight as well David. Again it is nice to see that both Roadless and County did actually convert other makes of tractor other than just Fords.

Is that the next charity model Peter?

hey robbo if you are willing to ,,,prise ,,,,,,remove,,,,, i mean get another pound out your wallet for raffle tickets ,,,i am willing to do another charity tractor ;D ;D ;D

That International 634 Roadless looks good especially with the IH front weight as well David. Again it is nice to see that both Roadless and County did actually convert other makes of tractor other than just Fords.

Fair comment that Bill :) , Its abit like the 485/4100 Leylands, a Bathgate built skid unit, but then converted to equal wheel 4wd by County, even though the names Roadless and County are linked directly to Ford based conversions, both firms worked with other manufacturers of the time too making some rarer and collectable machines ;)

Very smart example of the 634 conversion Roadless put together, probably one of the best i've seen on the rally circuit Bill. I could just do with finding the even rarer B-614 version to photograph now. :)

P1190009.jpg

Back to the Ford conversions and this pair crawler tractors. Commencing with this contemporary machine built up for heavy recovery tasks.

P1190115.jpg

Followed by this County CD50 "long swamp" tractor.

P1190127.jpg

P1190133.jpg

Another first time sighting of mine from the show was this wonderful industrial Muir Hill 101 with matching dump trailer.

P1190235.jpg

Lastly this baby 10 series horticultural tractor which leads me onto my next sets of photographs of a similarly smaller theme.

P1190203.jpg

Time for selection of photographs from the fine array of horticultural tractors I found on display. Starting with this eye catching Minneapolis Moline.

P1180860.jpg

More modern Massey Ferguson 30.13.

P1190044.jpg

Followed by a baby Roper RT 8E.

P1180996.jpg

Bolens Husky

P1190237.jpg

Norlett, Westwood and Wheel Horse tractors lined up together.

P1190238.jpg

Whilst the major manufacturers were well represented there was also an eclectic mix of other makes on display starting with this Same Minitauro 60.

P1180876.jpg

More than a hint of Marshall ancestory in the name and tin work of this Field Farmer D350.

P1180882.jpg

Bolinder Munktalls Terrier.

P1180886.jpg

Another rarity to these shores, a 4WD Guldner G45A

P1180887.jpg

Lastly a highly original Landini followed by a Lanz Bulldog that has been on the local rally circuit for many years now.

P1180890.jpg

P1180891.jpg

What a great looking rally David. One that really set my mind thinking was the F W Sheppard one.....any more details since this is a new one for me.

It's an absolutely fantastic rally Bill and it was great to be back at the show four years after i'd last attended. The only mistake I made was not to purchase a program. The majority of my commentary to compliment the photographs i've taken is from memory or a little bit of digging on the internet.

Here's a useful link to information on Latil the company that built the timber tractor:

http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Latil

I've photographed two of these tractors now including another similar example to the F W Sheppard version that was fitted with agricultural spec tyres at the Pickeirng Steam Rally 8 years ago. I'm certain the tractor above at Newby Hall is a H-14 from the late 1940s' and unless i'm getting mixed up with another restored example, made it's debut at the Millenium Show held at Newark.

Moving onto crawler tractor power and the truly magnificent sight of the late John Moffitt's complete set of Fowler Gyrotillers. Very pleased to have finally seen these wonderful machines in the flesh, having already photographed Robert Crawford's restored example at the World Ploughing Championships in 2000.

However we'll start with this partially restored example of a standard 4/40 tractor.

P1180793.jpg

Followed by the 40hp Gyrotiller.

P1180794.jpg

The 80hp version.

P1180795.jpg

P1180799.jpg

The "big daddy" 120hp version of behemoth proportions. I'd seen this very tractor in various books as a young child and on video before ( Bill Kemball's Power of the Past event ) and never thought i'd see it in the flesh. The tractor was originally rebuilt and restored by the late John Clarke who was tragically killed in work shop fire a number of years ago. To see it still very much in the condition I remember it being in the books I had was an absolute pleasure and just hope my photographs do this iconic tractor the justice it deserves.

P1180801.jpg

P1190361.jpg

Thanks David. I never even guessed it was a Latil. I have seen examples before but I suspect this is an earlier version pre cabs days 8)

I'm the opposite Bill, i've only ever seen examples of these tractors without the enclosed cabs and other extra luxuries, like the majority of photographs of them on the internet. Fairly certain I have book by Nick Baldwin somewhere that shows a cabless example yoked to a trailer plough at a tractor trials event. :)

The Gyrotillers all lined up together.

P1180798.jpg

Loading the 40hp tractors onto their low loader trailer close to the end of the show.

P1190362.jpg

Another Fowler crawler i've captured before that was also on display at Newby Hall was this Fowler Challenger One.

P1190306.jpg

Whilst also making an appearance at the show was this beautifully restored Track Marshall, another tractor i've caught up with at previous rallies i've attended.

P1180774.jpg