Harvest started yet

Tractorman810

The two JDs were in Blaxhall in Suffolk, about 8 miles from Sizewell - they were on Kerr's land, a estate based in Blaxhall. Before the JDs they ran two Lexions... Here!

The NH 9090 belongs to Dennington Hall Farm, based in (you guess it!) Dennington. It was in the field with the pylons and house in the bottom right corner here

These pylons appear in many of my photos... My father worked at Sizewell from before I was born until he retired, and as a small boy there were always known as "Daddy's pylons" as they came from where he worked... ^-^

/m.

Edited by malcy_p

Can't find how to start a new topic, but can someone explain why lovely clean linseed straw from a 40' cut Lexion was being pushed up into lumps when it was lovely and dry in north Kent last week. I thought one can still burn this in the field legally so why go to the expense of a telehandler with fuel the price it is, when it would have burnt well in the row with better ash distribution. I would have thought with the cereal straw shortage it would have been worth bigbaling for an incinerator? Any ideas?

nigel, what tris said about the linseed straw is spot on. linseed straw is notoriously hard on the chopper blades and knives on a combine, so to leave it in the swath and burn it is easier and legal. as for the power stations not wanting it is a bit of an odd one. a theory maybe that linseed straw does burn to a higher temperature than wheat straw and maybe this is a problem in the incinerator, who knows. for me, the worst thing about linseed is trying to pull up the ground after the crop, especially in a dry year as the ground goes like concrete!

I've only one experience of chopping linseed and as above, a nightmare. It burnt the belt through on the chopper so we swathed it after that. The ground afterwards was just as you say to Chris. Subsoiling with a 7840 ballasted rear whes and it was tough, no grip on the surface and hard as hell underneath - heavy clay.

The next time I cut it was when I was working for a contractor and I swathed it this time too, I don't know whay was done wiyh it afterwards this time but with houses near I wonder if it was baked with net and used it burnt elsewhere.