lucky escape

Paul Palmer

one of our local contractors had a mishap this morning,coming out of tavistock towards plymouth,by the texaco garage,the tractor and slurry tanker/injector parted company,the tanker went through a bus stop and damaged telephone lines,luckily nobody was hurt,but caused a lot of traffic hold ups

post-1769-0-94102100-1344963619_thumb.jp

Edited by paulali

Ah b& b again , that's not the first time they have lost a trailer , had one on the a38 at landrake a while back and also had a tailgate fall off with a load if muck dropping in Plymouth at rush hr , and I have seen the bill for our work to, he certainly won't be able to afford a flash veenhus like that again in a hurry . Guess it's to much haste and not enough checking with them again as that was the reason given for the landrake one by the hse

Ah b& b again , that's not the first time they have lost a trailer , had one on the a38 at landrake a while back and also had a tailgate fall off with a load if muck dropping in Plymouth at rush hr , and I have seen the bill for our work to, he certainly won't be able to afford a flash veenhus like that again in a hurry . Guess it's to much haste and not enough checking with them again as that was the reason given for the landrake one by the hse

does bloyes get billed for youi to replace the telephone pole and lines then sean? that morning i had to go to hatt near saltash,on my way back i saw the guy going towards gunnislake,back to their yard,i suppose,but the driver wasnt a youngster,as he does employee a lot of youngsters,i would say this guy was mid to late 30's,as to why it happened i dont know

he will be billed for everything right down to the last screw from us, thats man hours, fuel on the vans/lorrys,replacement cabling from the ug box to pole, and all the cables away to houses, repairs to the houses, where facia boards were pulled off ,the power guys will charge the same, plus the bus shelter people, we in damage cases were arround 55 quid a hr per person, and that was a while back,there were 7 guys from us out there.the driver spent a good 3 hrs at tavi cop shop apparently, rumor is he hadnt retracted the tow hitch so it was basicly just on the hook and nothing more, know someone whos married to tim bloyes see

that was a good few years back now, prob a lot more than that now paul, as for the hitch thats just what the guys were told out there, as well as the friend was told .poor tims stressed to hell right now apparently, this was the last thing he needed, sure his insurance will cover it, unless they prove it was the drivers fault, in which case they may not pay out ? it has happend before with other damage cases , so tim will have to pay out then. must say i always thought these hitches automaticly pulled back in???? but its ben a while since i last saw / used one

im not sure if they pull back automatically sean,definately not on the fendts and jd i drive,thats why i said i cant understand how you can not do that,to me its part of making sure that anything is hooked on properlly,ie hook up ,retract hitch and slightly lower the link arms

• Like 1

in a hurry to get out, they are flat out going round the clock right now, harvest ,second cut silage,bailing plus slurry ,add early ploughing ect , not enough hours in the day ,one slip like that is all it takes then ,the prob is the hse will get involved, and you watch, they will pull the drivers hours apart ,legally as hard as it sounds no one should be doing more than a max average of 44 ? hrs a week(or somewhere very close to that 48 rings a bell ) , over a 13 week average , its a euro law that i have been caught out with, as have a good few other people, thats very hard to do this time of year in farming, margins dont allow extra staff to cover , the list is endless for reasons to try it on.

a couple of years ago whilst i was working in a feed mill a chap came in with a long root crop trailer he wanted two tonne of calf nuts tipped on the back of the trailer so he didn't have to tip it up to far to bag it off i duly obliged and tipped a big bucket in to the trailer and lowand behold as i finised tipping it in the trailer slowly lifted of the hook and took out the open back window! he'd come down the a303 with a full load of corn and tipped that off lucky it nevr came off then could have been a lot worse!

he will be billed for everything right down to the last screw from us, thats man hours, fuel on the vans/lorrys,replacement cabling from the ug box to pole, and all the cables away to houses, repairs to the houses, where facia boards were pulled off ,the power guys will charge the same, plus the bus shelter people, we in damage cases were arround 55 quid a hr per person, and that was a while back,there were 7 guys from us out there.the driver spent a good 3 hrs at tavi cop shop apparently, rumor is he hadnt retracted the tow hitch so it was basicly just on the hook and nothing more, know someone whos married to tim bloyes see

His wife?

• Like 1