I need wheels for my wheels!

I've just measured the tread depth on my 4wd Mitsubishi L200 and one tyre is seriously worn, with two others nearing the 1.6mm minimum tread depth (so all four will probably need replacing).

Ideally I would love to buy two sets, one for winter and a summer pair, but my budget will not allow for that (a fully off-road set would be nice too but I can only dream at the moment).

Will a winter set survive hot summers ( ^_^::)) or is it a better bet to get a set that will survive all seasons without excessive degredation?

they tried to get us to buy a second set of winter wheels for the bm when we got it, i ran the last one on normal tyres and it coped well in the snow and ice we had down here on the hills, and perfectly ok in thesummer to .gut reaction for me is why bother, modern general use tryes are well up to most weathers

Is there a L200 owners forum Chris?

When I had my Peugeot 306 GTi-6 I was a member on the GTi-6 owners forum and learnt alot about the car and what to do and use on it, found the best tyres and all sorts.

When the Pug had to go, I wanted an Astra, so joined the Astra owners forum and again found out loads of brilliant information, enough for me to make the decision on which model Astra to buy!

they tried to get us to buy a second set of winter wheels for the bm when we got it, i ran the last one on normal tyres and it coped well in the snow and ice we had down here on the hills, and perfectly ok in thesummer to .gut reaction for me is why bother, modern general use tryes are well up to most weathers

That was my gut feeling Sean, on the Quik Fit matchup the winter tyre they recommend seems to be about £30 dearer than the summer tyres.

Is there a L200 owners forum Chris?

When I had my Peugeot 306 GTi-6 I was a member on the GTi-6 owners forum and learnt alot about the car and what to do and use on it, found the best tyres and all sorts.

When the Pug had to go, I wanted an Astra, so joined the Astra owners forum and again found out loads of brilliant information, enough for me to make the decision on which model Astra to buy!

I did subscribe to http://www.l200.org.uk a few years back Barry, just need to dig out my old password.

What size tyres do you have fitted to it Chris and what sort of miles and driving (% on/off road) are you doing over the course of the year? Will help to narrow down the choices.

205/80 R16 104s. Mostly on-road but I'd say 20-25% off-road

I'd consider looking at something like the General Grabber All Terrain tyre, They're cheaper than the Goodrich alternative and just as good. I have a set of the AT2's on my Discovery and have been very happy with them, no problems in the ice, snow, rain or mud so far with them. Alternatively if you aren't doing a lot of miles take a look at the Insa Turbo range of tyres, they are remoulds but very good quality, the Traction Track is a direct repacement for the old and well respected Goodrich Track Edge.

I'd consider looking at something like the General Grabber All Terrain tyre, They're cheaper than the Goodrich alternative and just as good. I have a set of the AT2's on my Discovery and have been very happy with them, no problems in the ice, snow, rain or mud so far with them. Alternatively if you aren't doing a lot of miles take a look at the Insa Turbo range of tyres, they are remoulds but very good quality, the Traction Track is a direct repacement for the old and well respected Goodrich Track Edge.

I thought remoulds had become illegal? My owner's manual warns against them anyway.

Thanks Gav I've written these down.

Nothing wrong with good quality remoulds and the Insa ones are the best out there meeting all the required standards. Avoid Bridgestone 4x4 tyres though as they are very soft and wear quickly.