The Flooding Topic

BC

Any major floods in your area :huh:

The River Don has burst its banks at Kemnay in Aberdeenshire beside Boatley's Farm which runs a B&B and lodges. Guest's might need a boat to reach their rooms tonight. That's Bennachie still with snow in the background of the farm.

P1000030.jpg

P1000031.jpg

P1000033.jpg

The swans seem happy.

P1000034.jpg

P1000032.jpg

nice pictures bill. i think that everyone around the country has got a tale or two to say about flooding as no-one has escaped this awful weather this year. around here in this part of Essex fields are waterlogged and crops are struggling a bit. all the pipes under most of the gateways have now managed to jam themselves up [ mainly with flail hedge cutting debris] and water is flooding over the tops and into the road. the mini digger will be out as soon as the water levels drop to do some cleaning out. as for the deep elevator pits in two of the grain stores, the little electric submersible pumps are almost running constantly.weather wise, i for one will be glad to see the back of this year Bill, lets hope next year will be a bit more favourable. it cant be any wetter, surely.

This afternoon I stopped off at Peter Morrison's farm at Milton of Drum where I have taken many photos of Peter at work over the past few years. It is probably the highest I have seen the Leuchar burn at and if Peter had had winter barley or OSR in it would have taken a bit of a washing away. He is probably one of the luckier ones....no major damage and no flooding of farm or farmhouse.

P1000124.jpg

P1000125.jpg

Been cruising about in the jcb rubber duckie sorting out flooded country roads, got rather soaked first thing, stepped out the rubber duckie into 1 and a half feet of water, almost knee height, didn't take long to clear, farmers field might be a bit wet now

Been cruising about in the jcb rubber duckie sorting out flooded country roads, got rather soaked first thing, stepped out the rubber duckie into 1 and a half feet of water, almost knee height, didn't take long to clear, farmers field might be a bit wet now

Been doing the opposite, where they try and dump their water in my fields!

Woken upto find 4 missed calls from the old man saying the reservoir up from the farm had burst its banks and all the water was heading down the road towards the yard, plan on digging trenches at angles to allow the water to run off the road into the fields, maybe put down sandbags around the grain store, don't see why he couldn't do the work, all the diggers are up at the farm in storage,

Yesterday when  I drove past the river it had abated from the fields and could see the post so I thought good that's it away. Anyway lots of more overnight rain and back up again.

P1000128.jpg

I think the snow has melted from Bennachie but I cannot see "Mither Tap" for the mist.

P1000129.jpg

Getting a bit too close for comfort for this house me thinks.

P1000130.jpg

Still a bit to go so these ones should be alright I hope

P1000131.jpg

• 11 months later...

The sea decided to come over the sea defence of Knott End On Sea nr Blackpool.

wet009_zps756f714c.jpg

The Village Of Knott End On Sea getting a little wet.

wet008_zpsad16efaa.jpg

The view from outside the house.A close call as the water came within a foot of coming in the front door.

wet011_zps8ddf793b.jpg

luckily we've missed it down here, it was a bit breezy this morning with thin streaky grey cloud but quite sunny but the wind came up a fair bit this afternoon quite strong and has now abated and we've had a little rain in the last couple of hours. No flood alerts at the moment.

nice pictures bill. i think that everyone around the country has got a tale or two to say about flooding as no-one has escaped this awful weather this year. around here in this part of Essex fields are waterlogged and crops are struggling a bit. all the pipes under most of the gateways have now managed to jam themselves up [ mainly with flail hedge cutting debris] and water is flooding over the tops and into the road. the mini digger will be out as soon as the water levels drop to do some cleaning out. as for the deep elevator pits in two of the grain stores, the little electric submersible pumps are almost running constantly.weather wise, i for one will be glad to see the back of this year Bill, lets hope next year will be a bit more favourable. it cant be any wetter, surely.

It was much drier than the previous two years taken together surely Chris?

A large number of trees here lower down and in the valleys and South facing slopes still have their leaves on, it's a real picture of yellows, orangy browns and rusty browns, I've never known the trees to still have leaves on them near the end of the first week in December but we've not had any hard frosts, gales or real cold weather to bring them down. I'm quite high being 1000ft above sea level, here under the large trees on the narrow roads hedges you can't see the road surface for leaves.

Only a couple of hours before high tide so getting ready in case the sea comes over again.Its blowing a gale here so it might just get flooded.Have got my canoe ready and chest waders ready.All my models are up stairs and safe thats the main thing.On a serious note its not nice to get flooded so i hope everyone is ok.I have half of ton of sand in bags at the front and back and also wood screwed on the doors.Got the van and car out of the way.

Only a couple of hours before high tide so getting ready in case the sea comes over again.Its blowing a gale here so it might just get flooded.Have got my canoe ready and chest waders ready.All my models are up stairs and safe thats the main thing.On a serious note its not nice to get flooded so i hope everyone is ok.I have half of ton of sand in bags at the front and back and also wood screwed on the doors.Got the van and car out of the way.

How did you get on last night,Shaun,high tide etc,

Regards

Joe.

Hi Joe,All ok last night but i did stay up for a while just in case.Cleaning up today.One of the main reasons we got flooded was that the council could not find the storm boards which you put across the gaps in the sea wall to prevent the sea coming through only for the fireman when they turned up to say they were put behind the fire station and we thought you knew they were there.Always after the event!!!!!!!.The sea was that bad though it was still coming over the wall and i have never seen it that high before.When you  live next to the sea i suppose at some point you are going to get flooded but when it was like that it was something else.

Some flooding not far from me here at Goole, me sister inlaws  lives next too river bank in  the small village of Blacktoff  which has taken the water , she says a lot of water on the land lucky miss the house some how

• 1 year later...

Back to this topic again but when you have a lot of models about you you have to watch your investment.High tide today and with the wind it was touch and go with sea going to come over again but with the new sea defence wall built it held the sea back.Not bothered about the missus and dog as the can both swim but my models cant. ;) Bit of damage with the wind but its that time of year again and cant stop mother nature.

Archived