Love it :D thats what needs to be done here!!! to drive down the price of Red Diesel so we can work the land and push the price up of all produce so we can make a living

Edited by BOB3085
  • Like 1

Hope they all had the book thrown at them, equivalent to bullying 

What if there was a mother and child the other side of the wall when the bucket was put over the top?

rubbish music on the video too

Good laugh though  :P

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

What gets me is, not a single copper is there!! If that was here it would be swarming with police, the cctv control room would be overheating . .... Every one of those chaps would be brought to court and charged.

I have always admired the French for the protesting though, as disruptive as it is when they blockade ports and so on, they don't have carry out a threat well. Fair play to them, wish we had the bottle to do it here when it really matters.

• Like 2

When the milk protests were on earlier this summer I went to wisemans at manchester. Got talking to one of the coppers there (about 20 on patrol) the official line was that if we stayed past 4am then they would arrest everyone there. Turned out to be peaceful enough and everyone went by 4. But he said that it would be unlikely they would arrest people. Despite being a town copper he listened to why we were protesting and was very supportive of the cause.

Personally I think protesting only works up til a point, you need public support for a cause like this and by protesting it is very easy to loose it. A few well organised, peaceful mass protests to bring the cause to public attention and to make the govenment/industry sit up and take note might work though.

Best way to increase the price we get paid. Starve the public, although this year that might happen by how little is drilled

French farmers have a little better respect in France as farm produce over there accounts for a substantial amount of their GDP and have a greater political voice plus they are more militant and stand together when they feel the need. In the UK, although the farming community voice their woes, when it comes to standing together and being militant, for some reason, they don't although they have to a degree mor recently. The problem here is that the buyers, such as the supermarkets and processors (in the case of milk) have the power over the farmers to dictate prices and supply, they don't care, if we say we want more for milk, they say they can import it cheaper from Holland, lamb from New Zealand, pork from Denmark, beef from Ireland or Argentina and potatoes from Israel etc etc.

A very valid point, yes, it's the general public that need educating on the whole and get them behind the producers and give them undivided support and backing but as long as they can keep buying cheap food they never will and in these tight times you'll probably never be able to convince old dogs new tricks. 

Edited by powerrabbit
  • Like 2

I dont think things like this impresses the regular Joe. Farmers show up with their expensive and huge Equipment and mess up the streets of the capital. Not my idea of a protest.

Yes Farmers need to unite and this is exactly the downfall of us. Because when push comes to shove there are always some that want to take advantage of the situation. In my opinion not selling any farm produce for lets say a month and jamming the borders would create quite a a stir. But as I said before there would be some that would revel in this scenario and take advantage to sell their produce.

Edited by Anfield Vario

Interesting topic, it really highlights the far more ballsy nature of the French- not just here but their ability to bring everyday life to a halt is common across many industries. Their coppers have more sense too it seems, I don't think our lot would be so daft as to get involved (you'll note they were not demoloshing the local buildings otherwise it would have been a different story) with several hundred tons of heavy machinery kicking about.

The question is is it balanced, I would argue the ideal is somewhere between the French and British approach, commited but not to excess.

Sadly the British lack the common cause at times, seen most clearly in the fuel strikes a few years back which were frankly pathetic.

Farmers themselves are caught in a catch 22 situation or stuck between a rock and a hard place. Several years ago when the first dramatic milk price reduction and sheep prices slumped, several farmers did a 'drive through slow protest' through the streets of the local market town (Newton Abbot) and I was there to observe it, they did it on a Wednesday as that's market day in Newton. In one of the shops there were two men and a few other people discussing this rather loudly amongst themselves and I just couldn't help myself trying to put them right on the comments they were making, they were saying 'bloody farmers, what do they need money for?, look at all this new expensive tractors and machinery and Land Rovers they're driving around'. I told them, in no uncertain terms, that farmers kit nowadays is not purchased outright, it's like you buying a house, you invariably need to take out a mortgage so the farmer needs to realise a decent price for his produce in order to service these costs plus the equipment has to be reliable and roadworthy, if they came driving their yard tractors they would immediateley be stopped by the Police for the state of their machinery, so think about these things before you pass judgement and think before you open your mouths. I think they got the message!

it has to be said,i work only part time in farming but farmers dont help themselves,the weather is NEVER right,they say buy british ,but are very reluctant to do so themselves,have a look at your  farm work overalls,i doubt they are from the uk,why,price,practice what you preach,does that mean all farmers should be driving jcb fastracs,again no,they go for what or who ever gives the best deal,beating down dealer prices,,some things are bad in arming,the price of milk is bad,i admit that,but stop the moaning,thats what gets on the publics nerves,and as for the machinery,you get helped alot with grants,tax relief etc,in not anti farmers,as i said i work part time in the farming industry,but i said in another post,the weather,what about builders when the weather is bad,if they are self employed and cant work they dont get paid,but they dont get subsidies coming out there ears,and also not just builders but other people that have to deal with the weather,you dont here them moan anywhere near as much as farmers moan,i will probably be slated for this post,but its my opinion,practice what you preach,buy british,then you do it as well,

I agree with you Paul on a lot of points but for the general public to be able to buy British, packaging has to be labeled British produce, not hoodwinked by the label stating 'packed in the UK', there's the difference. The public has been so used to buying cheap imported food for so long now that they are reluctant to pay just that bit more for home grown and the reason that foreign imports are cheaper is that they get far more in subsidies and their labour costs/wages are lower, thats why the Poles and Ukranians come over here to work! Our farmers don't receive as many subsidies as you may think, some get none at all and as for grant aid, most grants have now gone and those subsidies that are available depends on you geographical location within the Country, your type of farming practice and your land management system all of which attract various levels of payments, these payments also depend on which 'sheme' you're in as you can't be in more than one over a given period of time. It's not all black and white.

• Like 1

i agree with the packaging point tim your right,but also you have pinpointed another fact,people are not prepared to pay a bit more,especially in these times,and i dont want to appear anti farmer,im not,but when i worked on a farm,what some 6  years ago in hampshire i was on more money then than i am now for being in the building trade,my point was/is,its just not farmers struggling,other trades,and other type of workers too ,but they dont seem to moan about it so much, im afraid that is the public perspective of farmers at the moment,no it is not all black and white tim i agree,but i wont and wouldnt get any subsidie,if i lost my job,or was struggling financially,so who would help me,nobody,and that is another sticking point with the public

Paul you make a point that is very common with people outside farming and it is valid...... to a certain extent. Remember farmers do not have a regular responsability. They are producing the most essential of all needs. FOOD. Yes you can buy cheap food from a different country but I think no country should get in to the situation of becoming food dependant from the outside. That woul;d be a very risky situatuion. So I do think that goverments must make sure that farming remains profitable, but I disagree with what the radical french so often do. There have to be better ways without pissing of the general puplic too much.

It's a vicious circle Paul in any trade or profession, if the customer doesn't buy your product then you don't earn anything to spend and pass on to the next trade and so-on. The public perception of farmers has always been 'look at all the rich farmers', I agree, farmers and landowners are rich, but only on paper as all their wealth is tied up in assets such as their land and machinery and the only way to release or realise that wealth is to sell off some or all of your assets and if you start doing that then you're on a downhill slide which you will never be able to climb back because the price of land and property is constantly on the increase and those prices can only be afforded by those in the city that have the disposable income and when they do buy land they invariably sell off parcels of it, farms concequently are broken up and never again go back into agricultural production and to a great extent that has been the main reason for the decline in British agriculture in more recent years. It's a very hard thing to do to sell yourself out after your family has been on the same farm for generations and pangs of guilt will always be there in your mind thereafter. I'm sure there will be a lot more added to this topic.

• Like 1

My first post in 2013....Did anyone notice the nice quality of tractors and equipement?  Is that typical for Europe?  It's not in the area we farmed in......or maybe it does not reflect anything...???

i agree with the packaging point tim your right,but also you have pinpointed another fact,people are not prepared to pay a bit more,especially in these times,and i dont want to appear anti farmer,im not,but when i worked on a farm,what some 6  years ago in hampshire i was on more money then than i am now for being in the building trade,my point was/is,its just not farmers struggling,other trades,and other type of workers too ,but they dont seem to moan about it so much, im afraid that is the public perspective of farmers at the moment,no it is not all black and white tim i agree,but i wont and wouldnt get any subsidie,if i lost my job,or was struggling financially,so who would help me,nobody, and that is another sticking point with the public
I almost agree with you to that line, there is help from the welfare State, Paul. There are handouts in one for or another across the board through subsidies, tax relief, credits and benefits so farmers are most certainly not the only people to receive financial help. As it happens, I'm not in favour of subsidies anyway. It's mental that a farmer can rent ground off of the MOD for £18/acre and then claim £89/acre subsidy! A rumour mind, possibly not entirely true but there must be some truth in the situaion. I admire the French for the ballsy nature but as with the fuel protests, lines of lorries all polished up to the hilt with posh paint jobs, light bars and Dura-Brites, owners of which are happy to spend thousands of pounda on bling but protest at fuel prices? Same in the clip here, some of those tractors are very valuable and while it is a tool to do a job, your average Joe only see's Farmer can afford a new tractor. It doesn't always bode well. Tim has made some good points in that last post I might add too about the value not always.being sat in an account and also, the values of such assets are not decided by the farmer but by the market and the suits in the city!

Rick, Farmers in Europe spend considerably more money on equipment than a typical north American farmer of equivilant size. I am always amazed when I go to Europe, mostly Switzerland. Its the same when we have relatives coming from Europe they are most of the time amazed how many of us still work with very old equipment. From what I can see there is even a difference between Canada and the US. I live very close to New York state and our farmers have in General much newer Equipment. 

When looking at pictures from Britain and lets say Germany I feel that there too is a pretty big difference. But that could be just a perception since I have not seen enough British Farms. Maybe some of you guys could enlighten us if that is a fact.

Here in the UK there is a vast difference between 'handouts', tax relief, tax credits and other payments, they are all seperate sections of the system. As for the Single Farm Payment, this is calculated by the amount of useable land you have and parts that have buildings and other permanent fixtures on are not included. With tax credits, the amount you are entitled to depends on your annual income from your work and was designed to top-up your income if you earn below a certain amount to a reasonable 'average' income according to the national average, this you calculate at the end of the year which is April and if you don't fill in and send in your return form by the end of that month then you loose any credits and any other income you may have has to be declared and your hours per week you work comes into it as well. There are different 'circomstances' also, like if you are employed, self-employed, have a family, are a carer, have any children and so-on. Anyone who rents land can only claim Single Farm Payment if it is in their tenancy agreement but goes back to the landowner from the tenant in the rent paid. Normally the payment goes straight to the registered landowner. You can as a landowner also transfer or 'sell' the right to someone else.

What really bugs me is that all these spongers that won't work, excuse being that they can't, for whatever reason they give, do so because they get paid more than what they could earn on a basic wage so there's no incentive for them to work, the system in my opinion is wrong. Those that want to work but can't get a job in fact get less financial help than those that wont. Another thing, going back to the price of food, people go to the pub and spend £3 for a pint of beer, drink 10 pints or so and think nothing of it but when spending a pitiful £1 for 4 pints of milk think they are being ripped off and when you break it down, fuel is only (at £1.40 per litre) 63p per pint. People need to get their priorities right before the start complaining.

• Like 1

With regards to milk Barry, they all think that milk from grass can be produced for nothing because the grass grows for free! It's almost like the water authorities charging their customers through the nose for what in essence is a basic human need but the other way around from milk.

This hard to believe but my wife filled up the Avalon and the price was less than 1 pound per gallon.......it was a supermarket where she earned points by buying me my sweets.....please refrain from any rude comments regarding  my weight....I wanted something for Christmas,  that would go from "0" to over "90" in 10 seconds...sniff she bought me a bathroom scale...not funny..... :

Quick comment regarding new equipment.... There are so many tax incentives currently to try to aid the economy and the farmers are taking advantage and spending money..

If you go looking online a second hand MF 5455 of say 3 years will cost you £24,000. A new one is £32,000... Would you spend the £8k difference for the warrantee and no hours on the clock... The price of second hand tractors is being propped up by export and people paying stupid money for them. You’ll also find that most of the new equipment is larger arable farmers and equipment generally remains looking good with age due to plastic body shells.

As was previously said farmers are rich.... asset rich, cash poor.

I’m a surveyor, my father owns a farm and we worked out his take home less than mine. On paper he is worth several figures opposed to me who’s constantly in debt... How many builders do you see in nice vans, I know all the contractors who work for me drive vans less than 5 years old, and that’s because they spend ages in their van put their tools in it, live out of it etc and a nice van which doesn’t break down is worth the money. A farmer is the same, why sit in an old banger and make life hard when you can spend money and make your life a little more comfortable (spending 16 hours a day in a machine at times).

I disagree with how the French go about it, but they are passionate about things. Globally there are thousands of sows being got rid of because farmers are losing too much money. Sooner or later it is going to be us, the general public who suffer, when there suddenly is a shortage of pork and the price goes up in the shops because the super markets cant source it from abroad cheaply, who’s to blame? The public will be shouting and blaming the farmers for not saying there were issues, I suppose at least the French are aggressively vocal about it…

• Like 2