A visit to Steptoes Yard and Taylor's auctions Montrose

When I was on holiday last month I loaded my trailer with a pile of old tools and junk my father and late uncle had held on to over the years. In addition I decided to sell off my model railway stuff, remote control speed boat, Mamod Steam engine and other childhood toys that were taking up valuable loft space which is now devoted to my Britain's collection.

Anyway after off loading most of the stuff at taylors my uncle and i went in past Steptoes and offloaded some more and took some time out to have a nosey around what is a rather busy looking yard. ;D  ;D

http://www.steptoesyard.com/

P1020463_zps272adc24.jpg

P1020464_zps2ee4e4c4.jpg

P1020462_zpsb6a4fb16.jpg

P1020461_zps12000510.jpg

P1020460_zps903f7ead.jpg

P1020459_zps1ca3665c.jpg

This was what my uncle and myself cleared from my dad's garage loft. Some for the tip some for the scrap man and some for Taylor's auctions and some for Steptoe's yard.

P1020372_zpsa28f2752.jpg

I was surprised taylors took that pile of old tools on the right hand side and the hammer price was £ 90...I could not believe it to be honest.

P1020372_zpsa28f2752.jpg

And that excluded the edging shears which my uncle took.

P1020373_zpsd22d51aa.jpg

P1020374_zpsdde9444b.jpg

P1020375_zps8778f113.jpg

P1020376_zps82b60fe9.jpg

ST839627_zpsfacf3e8a.jpg

Behind the tools were 3 Record joiners vices which sold well 8)

P1020427_zps5e819bc9.jpg

Found the lid now

P1020430_zpsdd6f65db.jpg

These tools were sold with the banana box

P1020431_zpsff26754f.jpg

P1020432_zps11096b0a.jpg

P1020435_zps896008e3.jpg

P1020442_zpsd4b2f677.jpg

P1020444_zpsa66f2366.jpg

P1020446_zps8bd51f8d.jpg

P1020447_zps5ec1b63f.jpg

Taylor's said this one with Queen Anne legs was too marked and Steptoe offered me a £1 so I didn't unload it at his yeard it will be used as a store in my garage or sheds ;D  ;D 

P1020448_zps1aab60a5.jpg

This table was solid and sold well at Taylors 8) 

P1020449_zps9fbdf89f.jpg

P1020450_zpsf66e8954.jpg

P1020452_zps20f33200.jpg

Maybe I should get my trailer sign writing amended ;D  ;D

P1020453_zps63863280.jpg

On Sunday I took a load of junk including an old Flymo and hoover to the tip before starting to sort the scrap. mind i think I need to dismantle the brass bits from the cast tennis poles to get better value than just mixed scrap ;D  ;D

P1020811_zps83465ffb.jpg

P1020812_zpsc132eace.jpg

I wouldn't scrap the tennis net posts Bill, you don't see these come up very often and are probably worth a lot more than you think, I would get them evaluated, probably by a tennis club. Same with the boot lasts, last picture bottom right. Picture with the Russell, old nets and the brooms reminds me of my old bass yard broom, it's 50 years old now and has done a lot of work and is still in use, it's had 4 new heads and 3 handles up to now.

I was kinda thinking the poles and the boot " devils" as we call them would be worth more in weight for scrap but I note your comments. i could try the tennis club in Kemay i suppose and give Taylor's or Steptoe a call on the "devils" ;D  ;D

Your old yard broom has earned its keep then Tim 8)

The Ford digger looks interesting Bill, based around a 5000 I would guess. Very interesting yard, my sort of place, I'd love to spend a few hours rummaging there!

I didn't look too close at the digger Tim but it had a Whitlock Bros Ltd Great Yeldham on it. I think you could spend days if you wanted at Steptoes since there is so so much there to take in. I can see me going back for a look in the future or even  just to offload junk on him if the price is right ;D  ;D

I'm getting quite into downsizing and selling off junk that has been passed on to me or my dad or my late uncles and other family members....where there's muck there is money as they say 8)

I wouldn't scrap the tennis net posts Bill, you don't see these come up very often and are probably worth a lot more than you think, I would get them evaluated, probably by a tennis club. Same with the boot lasts, last picture bottom right. Picture with the Russell, old nets and the brooms reminds me of my old bass yard broom, it's 50 years old now and has done a lot of work and is still in use, it's had 4 new heads and 3 handles up to now.

Tim I'm now thinking those cast iron base plates actually belonged to a set of older tennis net poles which I recall were wooden. I'm now thinking the base plates could be used as weights for my single furrow Ransomes TS42A trailing plough instead of 56 cwt steelyard weights :huh:  :unsure:

That reminds me I need to collect a piece of my steelyard broken casting I left for welding at my retired blacksmiths a while ago  and that is another job / project  I need to do ...i.e. ....restore the steelyard for a garden ornament....maybe it will go where that Indian take away driver reversed into my wishing well and knocked it over. Although the police gave me his name and mobile number and address I thought best ignore given I was told he was unemployed and spoke in broken English and well lived in a rather undesirable part of Aberdeen.

Paul...I already have a 10 bob note in my collection of notes and coins  ;D  ;D ...lets say what I got from Steptoe in cash was all profit and more than paid for the afternoon tea and slab of tiffan at Strathcathro Services near Brechin ;D  ;D

08012010014.jpg

08012010015.jpg

Ebay...yes and no only buy the odd thing but these scrap items are to heavy to post ;D  ;D

well it aint 50 years old then is it tim????:laugh:  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  

Paul...I already have a 10 bob note in my collection of notes and coins  ;D  ;D ...lets say what I got from Steptoe in cash was all profit and more than paid for the afternoon tea and slab of tiffan at Strathcathro Services near Brechin ;D  ;D

08012010014.jpg

08012010015.jpg

Ebay...yes and no only buy the odd thing but these scrap items are to heavy to post ;D  ;D

Ah the ten bob note ( 50p),I can remember when you could get 12 1/2 litres ( 3 Gallons ) of petrol for that,OR a good night in the pub,cider at the time being 6d ( 2 1/2p ) in pint,happy days 8) 8) :)

Regards

Joe

Some lovely stuff there Bill be sad to see it go as its bits that dad and uncle had that Howard rota is it a Gem ?

I need to downsize their stuff and also some of my own Robert....but on a positive side its all windfall gains and more cash for my beloved Britain's and Border Fine Arts 8)

Ah the ten bob note ( 50p),I can remember when you could get 12 1/2 litres ( 3 Gallons ) of petrol for that,OR a good night in the pub,cider at the time being 6d ( 2 1/2p ) in pint,happy days 8) 8) :)

Regards

Joe

The good old days as they called them Joe but personally I'm sure we are all better off now than back then ;D  ;D

Some lovely stuff there Bill be sad to see it go as its bits that dad and uncle had that Howard rota is it a Gem ?

Robert that my dad's Howard 350 but with my recoil starter on it sin teh rope broke on his and when attempting to rplace the recoil spring flew out :angry:  I use his one for rotovating and my one for snow ploughing. I do have an early Howard Gem with crank start engine and a Howard BJ engine lurking in the garage...I'll get some photos....I painted it up with Crown orange paint when I was around 11 or 12 years old ;D  I last used it around 26 years ago when I broke in my new back garden at Drumoak.

Robert that my dad's Howard 350 but with my recoil starter on it sin teh rope broke on his and when attempting to rplace the recoil spring flew out :angry:  I use his one for rotovating and my one for snow ploughing. I do have an early Howard Gem with crank start engine and a Howard BJ engine lurking in the garage...I'll get some photos....I painted it up with Crown orange paint when I was around 11 or 12 years old ;D  I last used it around 26 years ago when I broke in my new back garden at Drumoak.

What would be the best one to go for Bill? it will be doing the same job as your using your for I did see on eBay a ploughing part for the Howard so you could plough with it

If you are simply tilling already broken ground Robert the Howard 350 will do the job. If it's has not been broken in before then you would kill a 350. The Howard Gem is the one for that. It has rotar blades the same size as used on the Howard farm tractor rotovator. I have never seen a plough attachment for the 350 but I'm sure I have pictures of one in a Howard leaflet which I will dig out for you. i think you also got a front weight that goes on to the bit I have snow plough on and maybe even wheel weights. I suspect wheel weights may be necessary if using the plough to get better grip. Any idea of what price a plough is :huh:

I used to have a Mayfield-Allen, this machine was wheel driven, it had 16" chevron agri tyres, wheel rim weights, wheel 'strakes', single furrow plough attachment, front weight, front finger bar mower and rear cultivator attachment. 4 speed gearbox plus reverse. The engine was a 12hp Kholer. I bought it because it was dirt cheap, was going to use it in my garden but it was too heavy for me so I sold it on, made nearly 3 times what I bought it for.  I don't think that you can better a Wolseley Merry Tiller.

Archived