Pewter Ford

robbo

I have just been given 2 pewter Ford models on wooden plinths and I was wondering if anyone knew much about them. They appear to be about 1:43 scale and have a sign on the front of the plinth that reads Basildon Tractor Production 1964-1989.

Unfortunately they are both damaged and look as if they have had a hard life, the metal is very soft and just snaps off if you try to bend things like the mirrors back into shape, they are both missing the 3 point linkage as this was probably quite fragile.

The first is a Ford 6610 .

PewterFords2_zps0b0fca4b.jpg

PewterFords_zps04af5bf4.jpg

PewterFords3_zps7ed68a76.jpg

I hadn't noticed that before, the 6610 has got F693XFX and the TW has got F694XFX. I would assume that they both went to the same farm when they were new, I got them through a friend of a friend who had no use for them.

It would be interesting to find out more about them, Dorset registrations I see.

There is a dvla website that gives vehicle taxation details, I wonder if they are still about ?

Edit 6610 last taxed in 2002, and slightly odd - the TW15 last taxed in 1992 when only 3 years old ??

These are very rare models I believe. There is a third model, the 7810. Worth quite a bit! But as these are damaged it will reflect in the value of course. There was a topic about them on the BFF a while ago. Someone on here can probably say how many were commisioned but not more than a few hundred I think?

Hello Mike,

you are on lucky chap that these models were given to you.

These models were issued in 1989 because of the 25th anniversary of the Basildon and Antwerp factories. Buyers of a new Ford tractor that year were given one. In the UK the registration number was engraved on the back of the tractors, as per your models. Here in Holland they were not engraved, because tractors weren't registered.

The tractors were shipped in a nice blue box and also a card was inserted about the history of the 25th anniversary. There has been much questions about the maker of the tractors, but I don't think anyone on FTF knows it exactly.

A lot of models were put into cabinets or on the desk of the dealership and lost a few parts over the years, just like yours. Mirrors and the exhaust are mostly bent or even lost and also the 3 point hitch is often bent or broken.

These pewter models are mostly known about the 7810 version, but it seems that for every model of the range of tractors there was a pewter version issued. This is the second time I see a TW one, so that one could be scarce. Ofcourse the TW was not the most sold tractor of the Ford range.

From the 3 and 4 cylinder tractors there are versions with 2 and fourwheel drive and with also with the AP and SQ cab, so there must be about a dozen different versions, like 4610 AP 2wd, 5110, 5610 SQ 2 and 4 wheeldrive and probably also AP cabbed ones, 6410, 6810, 7810, 8210 and at least the TW15 (like Mike's) and TW25.

In 1989 I visited some Ford dealerships and tried to buy some of those models, and luck struck a couple of times. Later I heard that the dealer could order them if needed.

See below the complete package of a 4 cylinder version.

post-106-0-35854500-1378153432_thumb.jpg

One thing is new to me now, that your models Mike have a plaque on the plinth, that days Basildon tractorproduction. The ones I have, all have a Antwerp Basildon production signs. Maybe the continental versions are celebrating the Antwerp factory only?

post-106-0-49389900-1378182498_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jack, I knew someone on here would know about them.

I do think you mean a plaque and not a plague though ;D ;D  I know some people don't like Fords much but it is a bit mean to wish the Black Death on them >:D

No problem, Mike. Just rectified my error. As a blue man I suddenly felt a bit weird after posting the reply :of .

Both of the pewter models I have in my collection that originate from UK collectors have the Basildon only plaque mounted on the plinth. So that could mean the non UK models have the Basildon and Antwerp factory inscription. Maybe someone can confirm that?

Jack: Any guesstimate on how many were made? Do you really think they did different model versions for every real life model? I have seen the TW before and now you mention it, the AP cab. Here is a photo of the AP cabbed 6610:

pewter_fords_3.jpg

It's a 6410 SQ, 6610 2WD AP and 7810 SQ. All are the same size though but model numbers on the plague ;D do vary. Here is the topic on BFF about the models: http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?10806-Ford-7810-jubilee-how-many&highlight=ford+7810+pewter

I got one in my collection of a ford 7610 super q 4 wheel drive with the reg F103sbj,which was supplied by farm and country of dereham in Norfolk.really wish we had kept the tractor.my model is mint as is the plinth and the blue card is signed by Geoff tipaldy who was boss at the time.what is it worth.we also got a ford carryall,mug,overalls and torch amongst other stuff aswell most of which I still have

nick.......

Archived