Britains 6210r split

LEVERS

Hi all...  have bought this JD and was wondering how does one take this apart !!! I have a couple of questions to put out there .

1 ..how do a take the rims off without damage ?

2   What is the best way to take the  the cab off 

3   To make the doors and windows that they are left open, does one cut the windows and doors out and the best tool for the job .

and any other advice would be helpful as I am a very first timer .. thank you ..couple of photos of the JD attached

post-2524-0-70760700-1397162689_thumb.jp

post-2524-0-95276900-1397162726_thumb.jp

not taken one of these apart but most britains are the same

1.rims - fronts take a flat head screwdriver to back side of rims, two plastic lugs hold the centre in so try and push and pop out the centre of rim to reveal the screw holding rim on to axle,

britains rear rims are held on really well,best way for me was use a hairdryer to heat the tyres to get them off easily don't use a hot air gun too hot,then once tyres off I use a pair off plumbers grips on each rim and use a twist and pulling outwards motion to get them off although try using your hands first u may be lucky.

2 cab - most cabs are fixed in that the bonnet overlaps the cab so the bonnet needs to come off first do this by prising up with flat head screwdriver from grill end although be careful as it being a britains it will be plastic and will break and split easily,try and put some cloth between screwdriver and bonnet to stop the screwdriver denting and marking the bonnet,once bonnet off the cab might be screwed to the engine and will be glued through floorpan underneath the wheels arches so just cut or sand with a dremel till it comes away 

3 cab glass - try and cut out using a Stanley knife round the edge of the window so you can reuse it but britains glazing is thick so I doubt you will be able cut it by hand so I'd carefully dremel it out and cut some new thin Perspex to replicate the orginal windows but in desired position

post-2524-0-10799400-1397826686_thumb.jpNot very good at this tractor splitting !!  but since the last post one has bought a Dremmel and a good buy it was .. but have come to a head turner with this cab.

was looking to take cab  off the body to cut windows as one thinks it would be easier to do but steering is badly in the way ...any ideas how do ya get this thing off ?

Photos attached ..(same JD as above) 

post-2524-0-22624500-1397826713_thumb.jp

The better idea is forget this conversion ;D and maybe buy a britains 6150R and a Wiking 6125r and try to extend the 125s chassis and mount a resprayed britains 6150r bonnet on it plus fresh 6150 decals of course and some rear wheels off an old Siku JD 6920 ::)...................well that was one of my plans but I haven't found the time.   In fact I bought a Claas Arion 650 to fill the spot on the farm anyway as its way nicer than the Deere ^-^

Thanks for the reply boys.. just trying to break this one first to see the Craic with it .. All new to me and have to learn somehow and I hope this post help the new starts like me ... Cheers

yeah just prise the bonnet off ,front the front grill end, and there will be a screw underneath which is the final hold point for the cab, most makers seem to use the same method to of late .

as for cutting doors out, I have done this a good few times, from a mf 590 up to uh mf's so various cab builds , the best way I have found is used a good sharp hobby knife, but break the front 3mm of the point to form a flat end, then keep running the blade down the gap/ mould line, which forms the door shape until you eventually cut the part you want out, I tried cutting once, and it tends to melt the plastic if you are not careful and leaves nasty blobs of melted plastic that end up having to be sanded off, thus marking the clear plastic, and makes a heap of work for you, plus it also leads to a huge gap between the door and cab frame ,   

yeah just prise the bonnet off ,front the front grill end, and there will be a screw underneath which is the final hold point for the cab, most makers seem to use the same method to of late .

as for cutting doors out, I have done this a good few times, from a mf 590 up to uh mf's so various cab builds , the best way I have found is used a good sharp hobby knife, but break the front 3mm of the point to form a flat end, then keep running the blade down the gap/ mould line, which forms the door shape until you eventually cut the part you want out, I tried cutting once, and it tends to melt the plastic if you are not careful and leaves nasty blobs of melted plastic that end up having to be sanded off, thus marking the clear plastic, and makes a heap of work for you, plus it also leads to a huge gap between the door and cab frame ,   

Sound advise Sean,but I can't help thinking would a keyhole saw blade not be easier,I have one,but never tried using it to open doors,they are very handy when you need to cut anything in an awkward place, http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/blades/classic-blades/Keyhole-Saw-Blade-15.aspx

Regards

Joe.

Thanks for the reply boys.. just trying to break this one first to see the Craic with it .. All new to me and have to learn somehow and I hope this post help the new starts like me ... Cheers

good luck and keep us up to date with pictures

even using a saw like that can leave big gaps around the sides joe, hence the sharp blade method I use, only way round using a saw is once out, replace the frame around the edge with plasti strut, which leads to glue issues, then painting it after, it seems small, but a 1 / 2 mm gap all round in 32nd is still very obvious , that's effectively a 32mm gap in real life .

Archived