at work with dave the farmer

dave the farmer

4 hours ago, dave the farmer said:

Thanks Chris.really like her,a step up from our new Holland tx 36.also nice to have our own combine again after share ring one with two other farms.i was raking rape stubble .we properly won,t be doing that again as we have a few plies of straw and weeds about,need a spearhead star cut batwing topper me thinks.how your yeilds in barley and rape over your way doing Chris.

Rape has been hammered by flea beetle, the stems were full of them at combining around here. It's going to be a struggle to get it away this Autumn I think. Yields are below average, and some farms have topped 100's of acres as it just wasn't worth combining.barley yields are well down, with a thin looking sample and low weights. Ours did OK on weight but was down at least half a ton an acre on last year. All barley up this way has been poor, even the six row varietys have been thin. Ours just made retention and went for malt which took the sting out of the tail a bit costs wise. We have got a spearhead bat wing topper, a 5 meter. Great bit of kit. Just be careful when you turn on the headlands, you very occasionally get a stone get through the chains on the front of the bed and they hit the tractor. Our jd 6125r has had two new doors in the last three years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chris.watson said:

Rape has been hammered by flea beetle, the stems were full of them at combining around here. It's going to be a struggle to get it away this Autumn I think. Yields are below average, and some farms have topped 100's of acres as it just wasn't worth combining.barley yields are well down, with a thin looking sample and low weights. Ours did OK on weight but was down at least half a ton an acre on last year. All barley up this way has been poor, even the six row varietys have been thin. Ours just made retention and went for malt which took the sting out of the tail a bit costs wise. We have got a spearhead bat wing topper, a 5 meter. Great bit of kit. Just be careful when you turn on the headlands, you very occasionally get a stone get through the chains on the front of the bed and they hit the tractor. Our jd 6125r has had two new doors in the last three years.

It's not just your rape that's full of flea beetle, the rape where I'm working is too, the heap in the shed is clicking and moving around with the damn things!!

8 hours ago, Gav836 said:

It's not just your rape that's full of flea beetle, the rape where I'm working is too, the heap in the shed is clicking and moving around with the damn things!!

Our heap was the same last year Gav.  Funny thing though, our neighbour had bad blackgrass on a field that had been continuous wheat for 25 years. He put rape on that field last autumn and the seed raced away so fast that the flea beetle damage was only minor. It has been the best crop of rape in Essex all year, it was so tall he had to have it swathed. Not much flea beetle in his store, but there are a few. It done just a smidge over 2 ton acre. Perhaps, as we all know with the rape, we are all too close in the rotation with the crop and should go back to 1 in 7 years. 

I'm sure that is what the answer is going to be to several of the issues we are suffering with in the arable industry at present Chris. We need to go back to looking at and utilising rotational and cultivational methods of pest/weed control instead of looking at chemicals first. Some of the problems we have, including black grass, could have perhaps been avoided if we'd used them in the first place instead of reaching for the sprayer first. 

51 minutes ago, Gav836 said:

I'm sure that is what the answer is going to be to several of the issues we are suffering with in the arable industry at present Chris. We need to go back to looking at and utilising rotational and cultivational methods of pest/weed control instead of looking at chemicals first. Some of the problems we have, including black grass, could have perhaps been avoided if we'd used them in the first place instead of reaching for the sprayer first. 

Your right mate, chemicals have got so expensive and people havnt been using full rate to save money and thus resistance rears its ugly head. You won't get the big acre boys late drilling, you can't expect it with a 4 week drilling programme, but we never start intil October and that lets us spray off before a shallow pulling down. Wet winters on badly drained land havnt helped either Gav.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

Your right mate, chemicals have got so expensive and people havnt been using full rate to save money and thus resistance rears its ugly head. You won't get the big acre boys late drilling, you can't expect it with a 4 week drilling programme, but we never start intil October and that lets us spray off before a shallow pulling down. Wet winters on badly drained land havnt helped either Gav.

Agreed on the wet winters but certainly in some areas the bad drainage is being caused by using minimum tillage techniques on land that doesn't suit them, I've seen the resulting mess first hand unfortunately. I know Lemken have been doing some research into various establishment methods and techniques with interesting results where black grass is concerned, Spring cropping certainly seems to be a valuable weapon to use now. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...