at work with dave the farmer

dave the farmer

Ah yes some rain going round us,over towards the a 303.its a twin leg haylock subsoiler robbo.

Yes the 7530 is a nice machine.pat,get on well with the panoramic doors.

All our rape is done now, hope to be on the spring barley later this wk.

Thanks all for your comments dave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks Chris we are on boys ground as the boss puts it.mostly chalk puff with some clay loams ,finished all our first does of urea on 1st and 2nd wheats and our rape.contractors are booked in next week to spread chicken muck on Spring barley grd if it stays dry.is your grd heavy,dave

22 hours ago, dave the farmer said:

New amazone zav on our 6820 last wk ferti on 2nd wheats

20160218_113703.jpg

Is your spreader hydraulic drive or pto also what width do you spread the urea at, is it prilled or granular as I have thought about using urea I also run a Amazone ZA-M iS on 20m widths  

We are pto drive Smithy, this spreader is on the cattle/ grass forage/ fodder crop side of the farm, on the arable we have got a krm  spreader . The amazone is on 24 discs and we have a set of 20 m discs aswell.,it spreads compounds, urea, prilled ammonia very well. If we are putting cheap Lithian on the grass we want a fairly still day. The only this that's a proper pain is spreading salt on the fodder beet. It gets hung up on the hopper. We switch to the 20 m discs if it's a bit breezy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave the farmer said:

Thanks Chris we are on boys ground as the boss puts it.mostly chalk puff with some clay loams ,finished all our first does of urea on 1st and 2nd wheats and our rape.contractors are booked in next week to spread chicken muck on Spring barley grd if it stays dry.is your grd heavy,dave

We have a bit of everything Dave. We have held off for a few days as the last thing we want is a cold spell for a week and then a wet few days and as the ground is wet the fertiliser will leach. It only seems to take 10mil of rain here to get the land drains running in places. 

16 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

We are pto drive Smithy, this spreader is on the cattle/ grass forage/ fodder crop side of the farm, on the arable we have got a krm  spreader . The amazone is on 24 discs and we have a set of 20 m discs aswell.,it spreads compounds, urea, prilled ammonia very well. If we are putting cheap Lithian on the grass we want a fairly still day. The only this that's a proper pain is spreading salt on the fodder beet. It gets hung up on the hopper. We switch to the 20 m discs if it's a bit breezy.

Mine only puts on the prilled  N as all my base products are put on after harvest with a Bredal spreader , I had my spreader tested 2 years ago with cheap Lithian stuff and it spread ok

5 minutes ago, smithy said:

Mine only puts on the prilled  N as all my base products are put on after harvest with a Bredal spreader , I had my spreader tested 2 years ago with cheap Lithian stuff and it spread ok

You will be fine with Lithian smithy mate, the way the prices are at the moment you have got to save a few bob where you can havnt you. Just watch the application rates, the product is so varied in size, the charts you download from amazone for that years product test varies greatly. I pick a small field and see how it's going on and fine tune accordingly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

You will be fine with Lithian smithy mate, the way the prices are at the moment you have got to save a few bob where you can havnt you. Just watch the application rates, the product is so varied in size, the charts you download from amazone for that years product test varies greatly. I pick a small field and see how it's going on and fine tune accordingly. 

That what I do Chris if it puts on to much I make a note and cut back a bit on next application on that field you will never be spot on as backing into corners and going round poles always make you use more than you planed, also I keep the setting I use in my note pad from previse years as a guide   

• Like 1

It's a pto driven disc ,got weigh cells and 8 section cut off.just tap in the rate and off you go.real smart . Our old zam did 15 yrs .still got it.we spread at 24m .its fully iisobus to the green star 3 screen in the 6820.i just go around the headland,then go up first tramline and it only spreads on grd that hasn,t had ferti on .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dave the farmer said:

It's a pto driven disc ,got weigh cells and 8 section cut off.just tap in the rate and off you go.real smart . Our old zam did 15 yrs .still got it.we spread at 24m .its fully iisobus to the green star 3 screen in the 6820.i just go around the headland,then go up first tramline and it only spreads on grd that hasn,t had ferti on .

Thanks for that plan on changing mine next year but will have to look at ones that are 2/3 years old as cant afford a new one at moment mine is 10 years old now and I have had it for 8 years plan on getting another Amazon with weigh-cells

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Chris.really like her,a step up from our new Holland tx 36.also nice to have our own combine again after share ring one with two other farms.i was raking rape stubble .we properly won,t be doing that again as we have a few plies of straw and weeds about,need a spearhead star cut batwing topper me thinks.how your yeilds in barley and rape over your way doing Chris.