Britains JD s690i combine facelift.

chris.watson

i have been wanting to add to my deere combine collection for a while,and although I thought the main body of the s690i machine was excellent, the header was a major let down for me, which put me off buying the model. I came across an older britains s690 with wheels and the better header on ebay for £20 so I bought that for parts.it also had the folding unloading auger which I wanted aswell.

gave the plastic parts a coat of paint, got some warning decals off convo and a few beacons and a siku header trailer of off dave towse and set about trying to make this machine look a little better.

post-3323-0-30592000-1434906451_thumb.jp

post-3323-0-91378500-1434906541_thumb.jp

post-3323-0-95877600-1434906630_thumb.jp

post-3323-0-61766300-1434906731_thumb.jp

post-3323-0-50204600-1434906820_thumb.jp

post-3323-0-22527000-1434906907_thumb.jp

that looks very tasty Chris, a credit to you

thanks Paul, it will never be 100% spot on, but as you know, I ain't a purist. Britains make a good job of painting and decaling the diecast parts of their models, but the plastic parts always look colour stretched to me.

thanks Paul, it will never be 100% spot on, but as you know, I ain't a purist. Britains make a good job of painting and decaling the diecast parts of their models, but the plastic parts always look colour stretched to me.

That looks lovely! A real upgrade. Judging by the pictures it seems you coupled the auger to the new one by sliding a piece of tubing over it? Does look much better now! Impressed by the header trailer as well.

The diecast parts are properly painted but the plastic isn't painted of course so hence why it looks different? Can never get it spot on.

That looks a top job Chris, did the header attach okay or did you have to do some work to it?

thanks Pat. The header that came with the model has 3 screws that undo to release the plate that attaches it to the combine, I just ground down the back of the donor header to make it flat and drilled a couple of small holes in it to receive the fixings that attached the back plate that came with the original header.i then cut the front of off the feeder trace on the donor combine and added that to the header so when the header is on the combine you see a little detail.

That looks lovely! A real upgrade. Judging by the pictures it seems you coupled the auger to the new one by sliding a piece of tubing over it? Does look much better now! Impressed by the header trailer as well.

The diecast parts are properly painted but the plastic isn't painted of course so hence why it looks different? Can never get it spot on.

thanks Niels. The unloading auger was a bit of a problem. To do a straight swap was not an option as the folding auger from the donor machine was not long enough in the first section to reach the back of the machine before the folding ram and rear section. Next problem was that the donor auger was 1mm smaller in diameter than the one on the machine that it was replacing, this is why you see a joining collar which is a piece of copper tubing, doing this enabled me to get the length just right, and do a join that would be strong enough. Glad you like it.

Archived