Massey 3000 front weights,hangers & casting resin?

Fenside MF

Question

Helllo All,

couple of questions to put out there on uh massey front weights first off

Just doing some uh mf 3080 based conversions basically finished but now I agree with what has been said years ago by members on here in that the front weights are too small,I think these are replica of 27kg weights,now has anyone cast a better version of these in being the right size and that I can buy, or is it a case off scratchbuilding them myself?

Or my other option would be are the front weights off a uh mf 6170 the correct style for a 3000 as they don't look right to me,I have only reference to limited online brochure pictures so I'm not sure on whats right on this as I'd like my models to be correct.

Final question is could any forum members do resin casting off front weights and weight hangers for the mf 3000 and 5400  as I'd like some cast for future projects and looking at making swappable weights so basically casting a hanger then casting a hanger with wafer weights attached,my idea being in that drilling some holes in rear of the hanger,glueing in two small metal rods and then drilling out the tractor chassis so the rods insert to the holes.

Also to make a master mould is it a case off me just building the required part for casting or is there more to it than that as I'm new to resin casting,

Any help well appreciated chaps or just tell me if I'm mad ha ha.

6 answers to this question

Have you had a look at this Jamie, http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/topic/21053-resin-casting/?hl=%2Bresin+%2Bcasting , only has the very basics but it might help you make sense of it. As far as making a master goes you make the master and you then build on the pour hole and air vents, Other than that nothing else.

Just want to add that resin casting is very fun and satisfying and a great skill to have.

Jamie if you do get casting and make some weight hangers I'd be interested in a buying a couple for some conversions

I'm going to try and have a go at making some as none are available Pat,I found that the ones on the mf 3080 are small 27 kg weights which were probably on the four cylinder 3000's not on the six's originally so just one more thing to try.

Could any members of the forum who happen to have a siku massey ferguson 4270 could they do me a big favour and measure the size of the front wafer weight  (not width of all of them stuck together)  as these look close to the right size but I don't own one of these,and have no sizes to downscale either,thanks Jamie

Archived