Britains Ford TW20 in 1981 catologue

Hi,

Does anyone know the story behind the TW20 in the 1981 catalogue?

there's a drawing on the front cover and a photo on page 6. tall air cleaner and different decals.

Prototype?

post-3703-0-70085100-1437902754_thumb.jp

I think you have hit the nail on the head there................prototype/pre production

Have a look at the cattle truck chassis, it is shown in red in the first catalogue it appeared in

Yes it must be Paul, I'm sure I've got a cattle truck in those colours somewhere. I've just checked the 1982 catalogue and they both look as we know them too. Britains didn't often put prototypes in the catalogues did they, now they put real images in which dint have the 'charm' of the old sketches from back in the day when they hadn't actually made the product.

Hi,

Does anyone know the story behind the TW20 in the 1981 catalogue?

there's a drawing on the front cover and a photo on page 6. tall air cleaner and different decals.

Prototype?

If you look just above the front wheels you can see that there is also headlights and that the decals are different always wondered the same thing preproduction mock up. Also when the glencoe cultivator came out new in the catalogue it looks to be in Black?

You will also notice in the 1981 catalogue , that the roof of the Cattle Box is a different shape to what was released. It would be interesting to see if any were produced with Red Chassis and different style Cattle Box.

tractorman314.

That's well spotted Martyn, I think I need glasses but yes with the magnifying glass I can see that now. Up until now I just thought it was poor lit photography, but I've just looked again and I think your right, it looks black!

Also when I was just looking for the cultivator I've just noticed the tipping gear on the yellow tipper is in yellow, as the whole truck changes colours in following years catalogues and not knowing where mine is to look I cant remember if this was black in production?

And where do all these prototypes / pre-production models end up?

on the glenco front  there's the green and white, green and white(red headstock) red and white, red and silver , blue and white(from the ford set) last version was orange and silver , and a weird blue and silver (little farmer) don't remember any others, but may well be some

I've got a yellow tipping trailer, (as in the trailer that had the silage extension), it has the normal MF sticker on the side and comes in a normal Britains box. I have no idea if this is genuine as I've not seen it anywhere with the MF sticker on it. I don't think its a spray job, it looks to 'real' if that makes sense? Anyone else got one?

theres two yellow versions ,ones from the jcb set, and is very yellow, the one you have is real, and its a more orangey yellow if that makes sence, I have one unboxed, but heres a pic from a dutch site who I met at Zwolle one year, he's got a huge book of colour variations where he confirmed my blue and yellow muck spreader was a real one  

post-44-0-87668300-1438193825_thumb.jpg

The lime green one is now on the 'wanted' list, not that you see them every day!

i have only seen one boxed version, it belongs to someone on here ,just their name eludes my memory right now, i have an unboxed one and have seen two others tops on ebay , i was very lucky and spoted mine in a scrap lot at buy now 10 quid , only just listed , i bought it not 1 min after it went on , was missing its tailgate , but the decals were in place and origonals ,

I have a lime green version  was bought at a toy fair, it was missing the tailgate, tip mechanism and decals. I also bought a red trailer at the same toy fair and transferred over the tailgate and tip mechanism, decals were acquired from Dave Towse. 

The yellow version I have was an ebay purchase, the Autoway decal can be seen peeping through from behind the MF200 decal. This comes in a chevron box I think!

Archived