Work away from the field

whincebros

Farmers/contractors, how much time do you spend away from the field working? Do you allocate time to paperwork or have some one dedicated to the business side?

Also, apart from harvest and silage how much roadwork do you carry out with tractors and trailers? Do you employ the services of a haulier or find it easier to run your own lorry for shifting things?

Ha ha!! Yes it does sound a bit interrogation esque now I read it back! I had a break from the hobby for a while and am now picking it back up, but trying to be more life like and accurate than I was before. I keep thinking of little threads to research and the above are two that have kind of come out in one lump rather than more of a gentle enquiry!! I promise I am not vat, or tax man or any other such trade!!

There is not a strait forward answer to your questions as every farm is different as a farm growing veg+ cereals would be in the fields most of the time but just growing cereals you might not be in the fields as much eg December/January/February, as for paper work I try to keep up with it after doing a good days work but I now some farm around me that have full-time sectaries and others that use the services of a mobile one once a week or once a month .As for haulage most farms around me have the lorrys that the grain merchants provide/use to take the produce away as some off it can go several miles but from field to farm store I would say it is mostly done with tractor+trailer .Hope this makes sense and is of some use but like I said at the start every farm is differant        

for our farms, most of the day to day paper work, materials orders , paper work ect was done by one of my aunts , and the bookwork for the 3  by my nan, who was a trained  accountant ,she worked part time for us and a small accountants firm . as for transport, one of my nephews used to run our lorry, an old leyland constructor tipper, and eventually set his own company up running 5 or 6 trucks for us and other local small farms , he's still going now ,

Archived