Richard Western trailer conversion - from Britains Kane grain trailer, Chris.Watson inspired!

Evening all! 

Got an urge to do a 'recreation' of another fellow-member's combo that we saw this year (and last!) as shown below... :)

chris.watson_trailer.jpg

I have the Claas Tucano (obviously!) but have had to buy a tractor and a grain trailer to convert. These were ordered today.

Starting points will be the Britains Kane trailer (that will need cutting down from 16 tonnes to 10) and a Siku JD 6920 tractor. This is first time I have *ever* bought a JD model of any type - Chris, hope you appreciate the sacrifice!!! :)

First question - is there an accepted substitute paint for the trailer? Had a quick look in the Paints thread but didn't see anything there. 

Next Monday I'm taking Claasy Girl to the Richard Western place near Framlingham (isn't she lucky!?!??) to hopefully photograph a trailer to get the artwork for the decals. I'll ask if they do touch up pots of paint, but I'm not too hopeful...

Will update as and when things move forward! :)

/malc.

Brilliant - we'll pop over to Fram on Monday anyway, but always good to have a plan 'B'! 8)

Mark - whereabouts in the great country of Suffolk are you? We're east Suffolk, just north of Woodbridge. :)

/malc.

Evening all! 

Got an urge to do a 'recreation' of another fellow-member's combo that we saw this year (and last!) as shown below... :)

chris.watson_trailer.jpg

I have the Claas Tucano (obviously!) but have had to buy a tractor and a grain trailer to convert. These were ordered today.

Starting points will be the Britains Kane trailer (that will need cutting down from 16 tonnes to 10) and a Siku JD 6920 tractor. This is first time I have *ever* bought a JD model of any type - Chris, hope you appreciate the sacrifice!!! :)

First question - is there an accepted substitute paint for the trailer? Had a quick look in the Paints thread but didn't see anything there. 

Next Monday I'm taking Claasy Girl to the Richard Western place near Framlingham (isn't she lucky!?!??) to hopefully photograph a trailer to get the artwork for the decals. I'll ask if they do touch up pots of paint, but I'm not too hopeful...

Will update as and when things move forward! :)

/malc.

pdc does a full set of Richard western decals malc , drop him a line , I had a few sets of him when I did my cut down marston conversions a while back , may even have a set of two left over 

Malc,

you can buy the aerosols singly from RW if you require,  I also have decals made up if you wish??

Thanks Dan. Have you got decals for "SF10LX" as on the 10 tonne trailer?? We'll pop to RW on Monday morning, we were planning to go to Framlingham anyway, and they are just around the corner :)

On another note, the JD tractor arrived this morning, and after a little paint etc if now looks like this... I have ordered a weight set for the front, is there a Humbrol green that matches JD green??? Never thought I'd be asking that sort of thing!! ;)

/malc.

ftf_jd.JPG

Malc,

you can buy the aerosols singly from RW if you require, 

You're not wrong Dan! :) Me and CG went to visit RW's factory in deepest Suffolk this morning. We got a guided tour of the factory, from the basic fabricating workshops to the spraying bays. A really interesting place with enthusiastic employees from the office, stores and the factory floor! Bought a 400ml aerosol of "RW Yellow" paint for the model, and was shown around some completed trailers to photograph the signs and logos.

On another note, the 'donor' trailer arrived in the post today, and it has already been towed to the workshop and dismantled. Just got to find some time over the next week or so to get to grips with it now...! ;)

/malc.

IMG_8078a.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all

I've been really lazy (and working weeks and weekends recently, not to mention getting engaged!! :) ) but today I did a little more. The weights are on the tractor and the trailer is changing colour. I need to remodel the body of the trailer and paint that too... so see you all in a week (or three again) then! ;) 

/malc.

IMG_8085a.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Evening again!

It's been a while again, but a little more progress. I decided to go for an 18 tonne version of the Richard Western Suffolk trailer - mainly to make the conversion easier on me. A 10 tonne version would need a custom build body really to make it work.

Not finished yet, and I wish I'd spend more time smoothing down the joint lines on the body before the final coat, but it's too late to fret now! :)

I've done the decals that needed a white background, and added the image file in case it helps anyone else in the future. Took a few photos early this morning before going to work, it will have to wait until a weekend at home for decent 'natural light' photos.

Night night all.

/malc.

RW_01.jpg

RW_02.jpg

RW_03.JPG

RW_04.jpg

RW_05.jpg

RW_06.jpg

That looks very smart Malcy.

If you wanted a 10 ton sf a cut down britains marston trailer would be a quick way of building one only problem would be drilling the diecast body for fixing a pin and glueing it in for 

attaching a hydraulic rear door.

I've done manual rear doors on those and its no problem just use plasticard for making it up

Jamie, I might try to find a cheapish Marston and try that way of getting a 10 tonne SF over winter.... 

The Kane based SF18 is all but done now, a little more detailing and the side decals are now done. Also found 10 minutes to print off labels for the box, and the Britains HM Trailers convserion I did earlier in the year so I have a matching pair! 

Will try to get a few better photographs in the daylight on Sunday (working all day Sat - boo!) with the tractor and Tucano out to play too! :)

/malc.

rw+hm.jpg

Tidy work malc, if you want a ten out of a marston it will need to be cut down length wise on the body and chassis ,as scaled up they work out to a 14 tonner roughly, it's certainly not impossible as I have done a good few in the past, there's a pic or two around of them on here 

Hi Paul,

we went to the RW factory at Framlingham to get the paint and there was an 18 tonne trailer on display so it was easy to get a clear photo of the model number to make the decals from. Besides, Suffolk trailers carry more than others...! ;)

/m.

1 hour ago, malcy_p said:

Hi Paul,

we went to the RW factory at Framlingham to get the paint and there was an 18 tonne trailer on display so it was easy to get a clear photo of the model number to make the decals from. Besides, Suffolk trailers carry more than others...! ;)

/m.

got you Malc,not a criticism,trailer looks great

Archived