CAD Programs

Deere-est

Leading on from my laser cuthing question and having made some in roads towards possibilities.

Anyone use CAD ... I'm playing with a couple of programs and stone me.... ain't bloody easyou is it?! Jesus wept. All I want to do is produce a four sided building with a roof in a flat pattern and it's like a need a blimmin' university degree from Cambridge!

CAD is as only as good as the person using it Tris.... one of our designers at work is good but not great..... the other can only be described as poor.....p*ss poor and the C in CAD for the poor one stands for Crayola and not Computer :laugh: We did a bit on AutoCAD at college but it did my head in, sooner work the old way with my tape measure, scriber, a bit of French chalk, and my square. Some things are easier to see when you have them actually in front of you than on a screen. Maybe I'm just stuck in past times..... now where did I leave me flat cap and clogs  :laugh: 

It's difficult on a laptop without a mouse, not that it's an excuse for my ability... or lack of it :-

So this week I bought an A3 pad of small square graph paper, a pencil and a ruler. Oh and of course the most important piece of equipment.... a rubber 

:P:P

8 minutes ago, TM190 said:

CAD is simple once you know how ;) At the very beginning I hated, Now I love it! Can sit for hours and hours on it, no problem. 8)

Practice makes perfect really is the best way to describe it. 

Useing What,??

Regards

Joe.

2 minutes ago, catkom3 said:

Useing What,??

Regards

Joe.

Over the years I used several programs, through Collage then University. Probably the most well known program is SoildWorks, I would also rate it one of the best, problem with it is tho, its can very complicated as it can do almost anything, depending on what your trying to do, it will make it more complicated than you need. Also it will cost you around £6k to start with, plus you'll need a good PC/laptop to run it on. AutoCAD isn't bad, not as complex, I was taught using another program as well, can't remember the name but it was a Disaster from start to finish, Always crashing. 

CAD of any shape or form will take a good computer to run on as you really are asking a lot of them the more complicated the files get. So that is also a good point to remember, also a cost to take into account. A couple of hundred pound laptop will struggle, I had a Top of the rage laptop and had her on her knees one day rendering drawings!! 

Many free programs are available but, I have looked at some of them and just laughed, They are free for a reason! 

It really depends as to what you are trying to do, and your skill level. You may be better starting out on a simple free program to get the jist of how CAD works, Start out just drawing shapes, get measurements etc. sorted, move into more complex parts, then assembly's. 

Don't try to run before you can walk ;) 

1 hour ago, TM190 said:

Over the years I used several programs, through Collage then University. Probably the most well known program is SoildWorks, I would also rate it one of the best, problem with it is tho, its can very complicated as it can do almost anything, depending on what your trying to do, it will make it more complicated than you need. Also it will cost you around £6k to start with, plus you'll need a good PC/laptop to run it on. AutoCAD isn't bad, not as complex, I was taught using another program as well, can't remember the name but it was a Disaster from start to finish, Always crashing. 

CAD of any shape or form will take a good computer to run on as you really are asking a lot of them the more complicated the files get. So that is also a good point to remember, also a cost to take into account. A couple of hundred pound laptop will struggle, I had a Top of the rage laptop and had her on her knees one day rendering drawings!! 

Many free programs are available but, I have looked at some of them and just laughed, They are free for a reason! 

It really depends as to what you are trying to do, and your skill level. You may be better starting out on a simple free program to get the jist of how CAD works, Start out just drawing shapes, get measurements etc. sorted, move into more complex parts, then assembly's. 

Don't try to run before you can walk ;) 

Thank you for your comprehensive reply,but,I still reckon it's beyond me,even although back in my school day's a came first or second at techy drawing,but that was the late 60's,??

Regards

Joe.

Shame there aint a app or programme that you can just take a few photos maybee a few hundered photos like scanning an individual item like a bonnet or wing fender .....enter the actual size dimentions choose what scale you would like to print or lazer cut ect 1/32 1/64 1/48 1/16 ect press go and thats it ....

4 hours ago, IH885XLMAN said:

Shame there aint a app or programme that you can just take a few photos maybee a few hundered photos like scanning an individual item like a bonnet or wing fender .....enter the actual size dimentions choose what scale you would like to print or lazer cut ect 1/32 1/64 1/48 1/16 ect press go and thats it ....

Technically..... There is.. 

Although at the minute, it is far from as simple as you think it is or would like it to be.. 

Archived