Customising UH Models

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Credit were credit is due great to see more 16th vintage and classics being custom built correctly and loving the dioramas setting to. Us of a certain age can remember you making Browns models fordsons in muirhill dumpers and loaders etc back in the day I think you called the diorama Agriplant I maybe wrong but it would be 35 plus years ago I guess And kit capers. for one I would love to see these custom models again if possible in colour if you still have and would share.

On 07/01/2018 at 12:54 PM, allantcondie said:

Faulty Diecasts

"Zinc Pest! It is known as Intergranular Corrosion caused by impurities in the Zinc Alloys that are used to make our diecast models. It seems that despite regulated standards imposed for the composition of ZAMAK since 1960, these impurities have still managed to creep into the mixture at some of the Chinese factories that produce diecast models, as evidenced by many early Franklin Mint models which are affected from 1996-2000. It's too bad all of these affected models weren't recalled, or replaced by Franklin Mint. IMHO.  Some Universal Hobbies tractor models also show similar defects, especially one batch of E27Ns.

Zinc pest, (from German Zinkpest), is a destructive, intercrystalline corrosion process of zinc alloys of poor purity. This corrosive process is not the same thing as metal fatigue caused by externally applied forces.

Zinc pest affects primarily die-cast zinc articles that were manufactured during the 1930s, 1940s, and early 1950s. In Germany, articles made from ZAMAK, a zinc alloy that also contains aluminum, magnesium, and copper, may be affected when produced during World War II and several years thereafter. Purer alloys were not available to the manufacturers as they were used for the war effort, or were just not on the market after the war. While impurities of the alloy seem to be the cause of the problem, environmental conditions such as warm humidity (greater than 65%) may accelerate the process. Also, significant temperature changes can be damaging.
Affected objects may show surface irregularities such as blisters or pitting. They expand, curl, buckle, tear, and in the end, crumble. The irreversible process will eventually destroy the object. Due to the expansion process, attached normal material may be damaged secondarily. Zinc pest is different from a superficial white oxidation process (“Weissrost”) that may affect some zinc articles."

Not only UH but some Ertl’s as well! Maybe I am wrong but you have to think how the likes of UH etc made models so cheap back 10-12 years plus I have known about this and have never sold a model out with this problem as a new boxed item. The other company was Yaxon I have come a cross a few of there 1970 early 80’s models that had zinc pest and I now have the correct term as I used called it crazed or fatigued. 

6 minutes ago, allantcondie said:

MF135 - I let Robert Moorhouse have my collection of 1:32 models as I got involved with other things when we moved back to Perth in 2004.   Here are a few of the more unusual ones though!   The setting was called Condie Agriplant.

BARBER GREENE 879A.JPG

E27N CS.JPG

N 40 SAC.JPG

N 42 GR.JPG

Fantastic that brings back memories although in black and white. love to see them and thanks for sharing them with the FTF. Kind regards Martyn.

On 07/01/2018 at 12:54 PM, allantcondie said:

Faulty Diecasts

"Zinc Pest! It is known as Intergranular Corrosion caused by impurities in the Zinc Alloys that are used to make our diecast models. It seems that despite regulated standards imposed for the composition of ZAMAK since 1960, these impurities have still managed to creep into the mixture at some of the Chinese factories that produce diecast models, as evidenced by many early Franklin Mint models which are affected from 1996-2000. It's too bad all of these affected models weren't recalled, or replaced by Franklin Mint. IMHO.  Some Universal Hobbies tractor models also show similar defects, especially one batch of E27Ns.

Zinc pest, (from German Zinkpest), is a destructive, intercrystalline corrosion process of zinc alloys of poor purity. This corrosive process is not the same thing as metal fatigue caused by externally applied forces.

Zinc pest affects primarily die-cast zinc articles that were manufactured during the 1930s, 1940s, and early 1950s. In Germany, articles made from ZAMAK, a zinc alloy that also contains aluminum, magnesium, and copper, may be affected when produced during World War II and several years thereafter. Purer alloys were not available to the manufacturers as they were used for the war effort, or were just not on the market after the war. While impurities of the alloy seem to be the cause of the problem, environmental conditions such as warm humidity (greater than 65%) may accelerate the process. Also, significant temperature changes can be damaging.
Affected objects may show surface irregularities such as blisters or pitting. They expand, curl, buckle, tear, and in the end, crumble. The irreversible process will eventually destroy the object. Due to the expansion process, attached normal material may be damaged secondarily. Zinc pest is different from a superficial white oxidation process (“Weissrost”) that may affect some zinc articles."

Thank you for sharing this Information Allan and I must say your work looks superb, kind regards Goody

I make most of the parts myself;  the most difficult job is getting alternative wheels but the occasional wreck comes up as a donor.   The Perkins engines and caba are all scratch built.   I keep a large selection of various thicknesses of Plasticard, and Plastruct sections, tube and angle in stock.

1 hour ago, allantcondie said:

Some projects get stalled like this Muir HIll 10B dumper - I need to find a prototype to see how all the pedal linkages etc. go under the body.

10B Dumper (1).JPG

Muir HIll 10B and Shunter (1).JPG

DSCF3525.JPG

Just loving it this is what the FTF is and should be about!

Some conversion details.   The first photo shows how by carefully splitting the wheel rim from the centre with a razor saw and then relocating the centre and reattaching with 14BA nuts and bolts one can alter the rear wheel track.  The second shows how dual wheels are set up and the third shows front axles from UH E27N and New Majors - the New Major front axle can be reworked to fit the E27N to give an adjustable axle.

36 inch wheel width modification..jpg

Dual Wheel Conversion..jpg

Front axle beams..jpg

21 hours ago, allantcondie said:

Oh for a decent 1:16  Fordson N - it would keep me going for ever!

Looking at what you have done so far this should be a walk in the park, admittedly wheels and tyres would be difficult but once you have the basics there is always resin moulding for your next project

9 hours ago, allantcondie said:

Some projects get stalled like this Muir HIll 10B dumper - I need to find a prototype to see how all the pedal linkages etc. go under the body.

10B Dumper (1).JPG

Muir HIll 10B and Shunter (1).JPG

DSCF3525.JPG

Sorry for adding my picture to your topic but it would look great with your MH 10b.This being MH loader which was originally owned by Mr E Boydell of Trafford,Manchester.

E3D96300-B88C-4017-B4AE-3C64FE79D39A.jpeg

I built a 1:32 scale version of the above based on an E27N.  Unfortunately when I disposed of VIntage Tractor Magazine part of the deal was the archive I had and the SS loader stuff went so I lost the working drawing.   It is indeed something I had in mind for the future in 1:16.

1 hour ago, mf135 said:

Sorry for adding my picture to your topic but it would look great with your MH 10b.This being MH loader which was originally owned by Mr E Boydell of Trafford,Manchester.

E3D96300-B88C-4017-B4AE-3C64FE79D39A.jpeg

Would this have been built for demonstration of the loader Martyn? A slice of history you have there. 

Archived