Cutting plastic card

Jd6320driver

Question

8 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Jd6320driver said:

What way do most of you boys cut lengths of plastic card for scratch building as I’ve tried a few different methods but I’m wondering what is the best method

I've tried all sorts Hugh,and by far the best is the Olfa plastic and laminate cutter,the PC-L.http://www.bladesandknivesdirect.co.uk/olfa-heavy-duty-plastic--laminate-cutter---pc-l-56-p.asp

Regards

Joe.

I mainly use a modelling scalpel along with a metal ruler, clamps etc. Does the trick really, I have been meaning to try out a vinyl cutting knife I have laying around somehwere.. If I only knew where <_< The scalpel does struggle a bit with thickness above 1mm in my experience.
I also have this circular cutter, but that's utterly useless.. Anyone gotten that to work properly? I tried cutting a small circle just as a test but the knife kept moving even though it was 100% fixed, it didn't take well to me trying to hold it firmly as well as turning it..

Biggest problem for me is to get proper straight lines, especially because the A4 sheets are not straight when I get them, makes it a bit more troubling. I have tools to make proper angles but they're really to big for this task, should have had a modelling version of the 90 degree angle square ruler. 

I have seen these mini table saws, mini versions of a big circular saw with rulers and everything, have been wondering how those work (Too expensive for me to get for this purpose).

I favour an 18mm snap off knife, better at getting long straight lines than small modelling craft knifes and just feels a bit more robust, less upsetting when the sharp tip breaks too as blades are cheaper. Then a craft knife for very intricate parts.

2 hours ago, catkom3 said:

I've tried all sorts Hugh,and by far the best is the Olfa plastic and laminate cutter,the PC-L.http://www.bladesandknivesdirect.co.uk/olfa-heavy-duty-plastic--laminate-cutter---pc-l-56-p.asp

Regards

Joe.

Interesting, how is it for complex shapes, I've looked at one for cutting some 1 & 3 mm acrylic

20 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Interesting, how is it for complex shapes, I've looked at one for cutting some 1 & 3 mm acrylic

Never tried complex James,but for long straight cuts the Olfa is best,Stanley type blades tend to "wonder", following the V shaped tip,the Olfa only has a Half V shape,one side straight the other at a V angle,so it only scores,a couple of light scores then bend and snap,as you score,a a string of plastruct get's scraped out,that's how you get a clean cut,unlike a Stanley which just gouges into the material,

Regards

Joe.

Archived