Corgi Models

It has only recently occurred to me that we have never had a thread about Corgi tractor models. There are many, many different variants of the Corgi tractors out there and many children, me included, grew up with them. In fact, Corgi tractors were my favourites especially when I first started carpet farming, around 1968/9. I have a full set of Massey Ferguson 165 tractors with and without loaders and also a couple of Ford 5000 Major models with "side scoops" as they were called in those days. I also had ploughs and a set of discs to go behind them.

Unfortunately, after I left home my mother, in her infinite wisdom, took them to her school, (she was a teacher), and allowed the kids to play with them. Consequently my entire collection was wrecked. I did have a couple of early Britains but I found them far to plasticky and flimsy and so I always preferred the Corgi models.

I have recently decided that I am going to try and recreate my childhood collection althpough I am not intending to spend a fortune on them and I will just be looking out for bargains at shows as and when I attend them.

So, to start off, a couple of the Massey Ferguson 65 models, the commoner version with the silver seat annd metal steering wheel and also the slightly less common version with the red seat and black plastic steering wheel.

Corgi MF (4).JPG

Corgi MF (1).JPG

Corgi MF (2).JPG

Corgi MF (3).JPG

• Like 7

Corgi then moved on to the Massey Ferguson 165 version both with and without a loader. This loader version is the bucket attachment but I know that they were also available with a muck fork instead.

Corgi MF (5).JPG

Corgi MF (6).JPG

Corgi MF (7).JPG

Corgi MF (8).JPG

• Like 7

I know that there are also versions of the MF65 with a much fork and, from what I have seen so far, there are also multiple different paint jobs, some with a painted loader, some with a steel loader and also a version with Massy Ferguson decals along the loader arms. These are future purchases for me but for the time being, this is a start.

I also know that there are a myriad versions of the Ford tractor and so far, I have not even got started on collecting these again. If anyone has any photos then please post them up. It will make a useful reference topic as well as filling up my list of "next buys".

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robbo said:

I am not intending to spend a fortune on them

Famous last words.

I remember my brain turning to mush the first time I saw the 165 with loader. Still get flashbacks when I see one.

At various stages I had the 165 with hedgecutter, 5000 with back actor and 5000 with the side scoop. All I have left is the back actor and tyres. Lots of tyres.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SPN said:

Famous last words.

I remember my brain turning to mush the first time I saw the 165 with loader. Still get flashbacks when I see one.

At various stages I had the 165 with hedgecutter, 5000 with back actor and 5000 with the side scoop. All I have left is the back actor and tyres. Lots of tyres.

Yes I know, there is a very nice collection of Corgi models finishing on ebay in about 2 hours time, already up to £90 and I would expect them to go into 3 figures, too much for me.

• Like 1

• robbo pinned this topic

Also by Corgi, but also sold as "Playart" were Zetor 5511 models. Much smaller that the MF and Ford models, I suspect that they were around 1/76 or 1/87, I have 3 different coloured versions

Zetor 5511 (1).JPG

Zetor 5511 (2).JPG

Zetor 5511 (3).JPG

Zetor 5511 (4).JPG

Zetor 5511 (5).JPG

Zetor 5511 (6).JPG

• Like 5

Had 2 or 3 orange Zetors and when I started off carpet farming ,had a ford ,forage harvester and Britains trailer cutting . mf135 and bukrake on the pit and two of those zetors with trailers made from lego drawing .Was a while before second britains silage trailer but the Zetors were upgraded to mf 595 drawing, a fiat went on the pit and the 135 replaced the other Zetor.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, robbo said:

Yes I know, there is a very nice collection of Corgi models finishing on ebay in about 2 hours time, already up to £90 and I would expect them to go into 3 figures, too much for me.

Jeepers creepers :blink: not only did these got for over 3 figures, they made almost £178, I underestimated them just a tad. I might not be bidding if they are going to go for this type of money, come to think of it, I WON'T be bidding at this type of money

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/273326702096?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

• Like 2

Thanks Dave it surprised me to see how many loader variants there are. I have the muck fork one coming soon and then I am looking out for the others. I have also seen a version with a steel unpainted loader to look out for 

• Like 1

i don't recall  a mf165 with fork,just the bucket, always remember being jelous as hell that one of  my cousins had all of these,especially as its what we ran at the time and britains didnt make anything close,bar the 135 loader . although last time i saw him, he was ever so slightly jelous of what i have amassed collection wise  since 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hope this goes into the right place!

I've just bought a Corgi Tractor/Trailer set, No. 60030, the green DB and tipping trailer, in 'dirty' finish. Does anybody know if this has a story to it, please? Was it a special for a company, etc.? Where DB tractors ever really produced in green?

Edited by bigbear

I have one of those John, I think Corgi resurrected several old castings at the time to do a cheaper range of models.  I cant remember what else they did apart from a traxcavator.

I Don't know why they did it in green, probably something similar to the Britains cabless Ford 6600 and MF 595 that was done in odd colours back in the 80's aimed at lower priced market? Also to avoid licensing issues perhaps?

Edited by MDFord
  • Like 2

I have only just started to collect the old Corgi Toys, as Britains isn't producing much to interest me. My collection is getting quite varied now, with things that I would never have looked at if Britains were still making older models. Ah well, times change, I suppose...

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

There's "factory error" versions quite common ( as shown above) of the "65" with the Power Major's orange wheels and less common Super Major (though still decaled "POWER MAJOR") with the Massey's red wheels. The earliest Power Majors had yellow-ochre metal wheels and a top link under the seat base (that clipped into the red/yellow plough's headstock) with yellow lift rods. Grey tracks on the first half-tracks with headlights on the side and exhaust alongside the bonnet, not through it like the later Super Majors.