JCB 3C Mk 1 Fordson Major Based

nashmach

Does any body have any pictures, recollections, any info or driving experience on the early JCB 3's - the ones which were based on the Fordson Major's? Was thinking of giving these more attention as a potential purchase as they are half the price of Major's over here yet seem to be more useful around the farm etc.

Any replies welcome - except from you james f - I've heard enough from you on this topic when I mentioned it. :D

i know the farm used to have a old 3c,the one with the sliding door that only opened half way up the cab,? slopped front and rear screens is this the one? if so i will have a look see if i have any pics of her

I think that is a Mk III you are on about there but it doesn't make any difference all pics welcome  ;)

the farm where my father worked had a Major based 3c got 2nd hand in 1976 still used it until they sold up in mid 90s paid for itself over and over.

only problem was water pump and fan belt took some changing thats why when you buy genuine JCB fan belts you get 2 one to put on the other to tie up ready to drop on when its needed i think this is still JCB practice on some machines.

the farm where my father worked had a Major based 3c got 2nd hand in 1976 still used it until they sold up in mid 90s paid for itself over and over.

only problem was water pump and fan belt took some changing thats why when you buy genuine JCB fan belts you get 2 one to put on the other to tie up ready to drop on when its needed i think this is still JCB practice on some machines.

Thanks for that archbach! These diggers have a funny shaped cab on them and you have to get in from the back don't you ???

this one had a folding door on the left but a weird roof arrangement at the back a piece cut out about a foot from the back. i think it was a C plate which would of made it 1963?

When you say a folding door I presume you mean a forward opening door??? Thanks for that other info. Did you ever drive her and if so what was your impression of her?

the door was hinged on the front pillar. i did drive it very reliable terrible on the road you couldnt go more than a few mph it was so heavy on the back it would get a wobble on you just couldnt keep it straight otherwise fantastic machine.

ive driven newer ford and MF diggers but they seemed so behind on build quality and performance compared to that machine.

the door was hinged on the front pillar. i did drive it very reliable terrible on the road you couldnt go more than a few mph it was so heavy on the back it would get a wobble on you just couldnt keep it straight otherwise fantastic machine.

ive driven newer ford and MF diggers but they seemed so behind on build quality and performance compared to that machine.

Cheers for that - have you any pics of her? Were there just 2 levers for the back actor or was it like a piano?? :D???

No, I think youre right archbarch, the mk1s had the roof at the back sloping down at about 45 degrees. Dunno how easy it will be to get one though, cant find a single picture on the internet, they seem to be all later ones. Maybe youd better stick with a proper major ;D ;D ;D ;D

No, I think youre right archbarch, the mk1s had the roof at the back sloping down at about 45 degrees. Dunno how easy it will be to get one though, cant find a single picture on the internet, they seem to be all later ones. Maybe youd better stick with a proper major ;D ;D ;D ;D

What did I tell you about replying to this post - see you are a combine driver now - Yes you are right about the roof - was looking at Charlie McCririck's one in CT and the roof is exactly as described must see about that door though. Thanks for all your help archbarch - didn't expect to get this many replies to this topic. ;)

What did I tell you about replying to this post - see you are a combine driver now - Yes you are right about the roof - was looking at Charlie McCririck's one in CT and the roof is exactly as described must see about that door though. Thanks for all your help archbarch - didn't expect to get this many replies to this topic. ;)

Savage! I might just have to change my avatar pic. Just wait till we get the 1530 out again...