When I was a boy we had these boxes on the farm my dad worked on. We had a one row ransomes spud digger,my dad operated it,then the local gypsy's would use little red baskets to collect the spuds and fill the boxes.Then they were loaded on four wheel hay carts 6 at a time. When back at the farm they were unloaded and tipped in the shed.

I have seen it done with boxes like that back in the 1960/70 on farms around here that used to grow 2 or 3 acres of spuds ,my father used to grow about 3 acres and all the local wifes once they had dropped the children of at school used to come and pick them up into buckets and then tip the buckets into several low sided 2 wheel tipping trailers that we had parked at intervals across the field , my job as a boy having a few days of school was to us the ford 3000 we had with a pick-up hitch was to keep moving the trailers over to keep them close to the row that was being picked up , the man that my father employed at the time was on the spinner ,spinning them out and my father was on a ford 4000 or a major taking full loads back to the farm   

There was a box something like that used for storing the used baler twine on one of out farms, we didn't really do spuds bar a odd acre for ourselves so no idea where it came from , we used to lift and pack direct into hessian meal sacks 

Archived