Silage 2022

Paul Palmer

surprised they are bothering, not seen anything grown enough to make it worth while in my travels .my butcher/farmer last i heard didnt think his second cut would happen, and if it did it would be very late depending on rain, hes not bothered with to much slurry yet as nothing to water it in, that may have gone now given the last couple of weeks, but even then its not been a huge steady long rain, just heavy run away stuff.

35 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

surprised they are bothering, not seen anything grown enough to make it worth while in my travels .my butcher/farmer last i heard didnt think his second cut would happen, and if it did it would be very late depending on rain, hes not bothered with to much slurry yet as nothing to water it in, that may have gone now given the last couple of weeks, but even then its not been a huge steady long rain, just heavy run away stuff.

Think you may be right there Sean, i have never seen so much dust while silaging

6 hours ago, Paul Palmer said:

726FDF9B-79EE-4890-86BA-D82ED779DC56.jpeg

I remember back in late 90’s/early 00’s we had a huge dry spell and the silage was so dry and turning to dust. The pit was just a big spunge, trying to compact it was a nightmare. That’s if you managed to get a load to the pit 🤣 

Silage harvesters will always blow dust anyway, unlike a wagon.. 

As Sean said. Why bother with nothing growing. Farmers here in Cork are feeding out silage bales and opening silage pits already because the grass aint growing for grazing.... The ground is just too dry and its scorched in most areas...