Good evening

Hello everyone , never thought that when I got into my 60's I would start messing around with toy tractors at my age , but,,,,,,,,,,,,, here I am and after a visit to Malvern and looking around the dioramas I thought I would have ago , so after a lot of pondering I have decided to make a start and try and do a scale model of our farm or mainly the yard.

we moved to Warwickshire  in 1966 from Northamptonshire , Grandad sold Lodge Farm to Moulton Institute and some land to Pitsford Reservoir which was being constructed  and it was time for Mum, Dad and 2 scallywags to up sticks and move . They bought a farm not far from Stratford on Avon , so on a day in March 1966 Dad and some friends drove various tractors to Warwickshire , Dad had decided that Warwickshire was a bit heavier ground than the ironstone of Moulton so he had bought a 2 year old County Super 6  to be helped by a Masssey 65 and a Class Giant Matador to harvest the crops . Its fair to say that the super 6 and the entourage was the talk of the village as they finally approached their final destination .

Unfortunately the super 6 ended up being quite a trouble some mare and in 1968  it was traded in for a Muir Hill 101 and thus a 34 year association with Muir Hill began   , so my idea is to make a diorama of our home farm as it was in the 60's and I'm thinking about choosing the day when the Muir Hill was unloaded and the Super 6 went to pastures new  , if this scene has already been done then i apologise . so as for the horse power of the diorama the Muir Hill 101 and Massey 65 are currently on their  way to their new home ,,,,,,,, don't tell the wife !!!!!!, but I really need a Claas Matador to complete the scene but it looks like I'm a bit late to the party , hmmmmm think i need to be putting my savings into a piggy bank .

I intend to scratch build all the buildings and spend lots of time on the internet looking for building materials . currently building a Dutchbarn which had a lean to added to each side in the late 60,s , at the end of the Dutch Barn they squeezed a Ransomes grain drier and Lainchbury elevators , conveyors and a cleaner .

So thats enough for now , its time for dinner , hope i havent bore you all 

Mark, 

tonight i will dream of a Scaledown super6 and a UH Claas Mat

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Idle Git said:

Hello everyone , never thought that when I got into my 60's I would start messing around with toy tractors at my age , but,,,,,,,,,,,,, here I am and after a visit to Malvern and looking around the dioramas I thought I would have ago , so after a lot of pondering I have decided to make a start and try and do a scale model of our farm or mainly the yard.

we moved to Warwickshire  in 1966 from Northamptonshire , Grandad sold Lodge Farm to Moulton Institute and some land to Pitsford Reservoir which was being constructed  and it was time for Mum, Dad and 2 scallywags to up sticks and move . They bought a farm not far from Stratford on Avon , so on a day in March 1966 Dad and some friends drove various tractors to Warwickshire , Dad had decided that Warwickshire was a bit heavier ground than the ironstone of Moulton so he had bought a 2 year old County Super 6  to be helped by a Masssey 65 and a Class Giant Matador to harvest the crops . Its fair to say that the super 6 and the entourage was the talk of the village as they finally approached their final destination .

Unfortunately the super 6 ended up being quite a trouble some mare and in 1968  it was traded in for a Muir Hill 101 and thus a 34 year association with Muir Hill began   , so my idea is to make a diorama of our home farm as it was in the 60's and I'm thinking about choosing the day when the Muir Hill was unloaded and the Super 6 went to pastures new  , if this scene has already been done then i apologise . so as for the horse power of the diorama the Muir Hill 101 and Massey 65 are currently on their  way to their new home ,,,,,,,, don't tell the wife !!!!!!, but I really need a Claas Matador to complete the scene but it looks like I'm a bit late to the party , hmmmmm think i need to be putting my savings into a piggy bank .

I intend to scratch build all the buildings and spend lots of time on the internet looking for building materials . currently building a Dutchbarn which had a lean to added to each side in the late 60,s , at the end of the Dutch Barn they squeezed a Ransomes grain drier and Lainchbury elevators , conveyors and a cleaner .

So thats enough for now , its time for dinner , hope i havent bore you all 

Mark, 

tonight i will dream of a Scaledown super6 and a UH Claas Mat

Look forward to your diorama. Nice to have a story behind the dio

Welcome to the forum Mark and look forward to your set up. If you haven't already sourced a Muir Hill then you might be able to get one from Udimore Tractor shop, he does have them in from time to time, Bazza is quite a good chap (but don't tell him I said that) 

• Haha 1

Thanks Robbo , Barry has fuelled up the low loader and I believe might be delivering the 101 today and if theres room he's strapping  a fergy 65 on the back as well , 

Questions I wish I asked Dad before he passed away ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Did Murleys deliver the 101 or was it delivered straight to farm from Gloucester , I remember it not having a cab as he couldnt afford it straight away , spent many a hour sat on the mudguard whilst he was ploughing with a 5 furrow Ransome conventional plough , bet it was a big plough in those days , has anyone scratch built a 5 furrow ransome yet , or a 8 ton Pettit tandem axle trailer , 2 leg cooper subsoiler , 3.5 meter Lely Rotera , 15 row Massey 30 drill on narrow tyres , I suppose to be date accurate it would have to be a Massey 28 drill but I struggle to remember the 28 whereas I learnt to drill on the 65 and fergy 30

4 minutes ago, Idle Git said:

Thanks Robbo , Barry has fuelled up the low loader and I believe might be delivering the 101 today and if theres room he's strapping  a fergy 65 on the back as well , 

Questions I wish I asked Dad before he passed away ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Did Murleys deliver the 101 or was it delivered straight to farm from Gloucester , I remember it not having a cab as he couldnt afford it straight away , spent many a hour sat on the mudguard whilst he was ploughing with a 5 furrow Ransome conventional plough , bet it was a big plough in those days , has anyone scratch built a 5 furrow ransome yet , or a 8 ton Pettit tandem axle trailer , 2 leg cooper subsoiler , 3.5 meter Lely Rotera , 15 row Massey 30 drill on narrow tyres , I suppose to be date accurate it would have to be a Massey 28 drill but I struggle to remember the 28 whereas I learnt to drill on the 65 and fergy 30

I think that Sean (tractorman810), may have done a scratch build of the Pettit trailer, he was tinkering with his new printer thingy some time ago, not sure about the others though. Have a look at his thread on Ash Tree Farm if you want to get some ideas

Welcome to the wonderful world of carpet farming Mark.

Scaledown have recently issued a 4 furrow Ransomes plough and I'm guessing it could be extended to 5 furrows. As Robbo mentioned, Sean is fettling his Ransomes/Pettit 8 tonners at the moment.

UH have made four versions of the Matador Gigant, maybe about 10 years ago. One in silver, two in the dark green and one in the lighter green. They are not easy to find, but they do turn up a couple of times a year.

https://www.farmmodeldatabase.com/en/view-details/011607/universal-hobbies-1-32-claas-matador-gigant.html

There's a long queue of people waiting for someone to make a massey 29 or 30 (or 500) seed drill. For such a popular machine it is strange that nobody has yet made a model of it.

Looking forward to seeing your diorama.

Hi mark welcome to the  forum. Sound like my sort of eras your thing for sure. Keep your eyes peeled as  hopefully  soon will have the pettit and ransome trailers for sale, just working on decals n between work and her indoors and her jobs to do round the house 😂😂😂 have done a scratch built one in the past aswell 

7 hours ago, SPN said:

7 hours ago, SPN said:

There's a long queue of people waiting for someone to make a massey 29 or 30 (or 500) seed drill. For such a popular machine it is strange that nobody has yet made a model of it.

Looking forward to seeing your diorama.

I suppose the Britain's and suchlike think that the  fergy  direct drill ,,,,,,, is it the 130 fills peoples needs but although I'm new to this game even I know that i couldn't buy a 130 ,,,,,, only need to buy a 4wd 590 and that's the job done , would have to turn Barry around with his low loader and send the old Muir Hill home because it wouldn't be needed in my carpet farming empire 

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Scaledown  super 6 still sits in its box although in a 100 pieces !!!! I have taken all the parts out and filled the sprue ( if that's what it's called , its back in the box for when i get to a time when I can give it the attention it needs , just had a weekend on the Dutch barn and lean-to's , I was quite pleased with what I've done till I just saw a picture of someone's Dutch barn that they have built, amazing !!!

still . I'm just a beginner  ,  our sheds are a mish mash of old and not so old , with some nice brick barns around the yard and with myself and my brother approaching retirement there's no point in putting up a pucker grain store , there fore we still have to live with 12 ton trailers that we struggle to tip in sheds with roofs which needed another 4ft on the stantions but we manage , anyway with brick buildings at the one end of our yard I would like to try and build a couple but after trying to replicate some brick walls on the lean to's  already I found out that in the 1:32 scale brick laying or painting isn't easy so opted for option C which was some of Holly's cut and stick paper brickwall which is pretty fair but not going to cut the mustard on old buildings so some head scratching to be done . back to the lean to's , I need some asbestos / fibre cement big 6 roofing , I saw that Juweela had a nice product but it seems that their products are hard to source or is there a card corrugated replacement which is better ?

So this last week out went our C670 Jd combine and in came a new to us T670  (being mere peasants we have to make do with hand me downs ) , I ought to think to the future and pick up a model for future diorama , at least its a model that a couple of company's have made , will keep my eye out at Spalding next weekend 

So the farms history of combines run from a Claas Giant Matador ( in the process of negotiating a nice UH example ) which was before my time but I do have memories of it , followed by a Clayson 135 , this was the machine I cut my teeth on , then a New Holland 1550 s  , hot horrible cab that cooked me . We then purchased a JD1075 lovely machine to drive and with air con ,happy bunny , this machine was bought to cut 400 acres but ended up cutting 900 ,we were definitely under combined, only stayed with us for 2 seasons and when another contract job came along we swopped to a TF44 , 2 very hot summers and no straw out the back unless we cut all through the night meant that this machine didn't hang around  to be replaced by a  MF40RS , excellent combine that did us well , stayed with us for 8 years  , but we were now missing out on self levelling  , so when we saw a JD 2266E hillmaster come up at a sale in the Cotswolds we found ourselves back in the JD camp , it did us well for 8 years and then a local C670 came up on the market , ended up having a love hate relationship with this combine , It was sold to us as a machine that could cut 100 acres on a good day , yeah right , If you didnt look on the floor and pushed on then it may of done but with unloading on the move 70 acres was possible or if unloading at the field headland then you could knock of another 10  to 15 acres , so with the arrival of the T670 I am beginning to question my sanity  , we need some dry weather to plant some crops or else harvest will be over in 3 days !!!!!!!!

• Haha 2