Big Kit Frenzy (Part 1)

Phil P

That fendt must have a busy time

It never stopped moving the whole time I was there, chasing one machine down the hill and the other up then shooting off to unload into the lorries. It was moving at quite some speed actually.

These guys are harvesting 2500 acres of barley and 500 acres of OSR this year.

The chaser takes 16 tonnes, from what I could see it was a full tank from both Lexions, one down the hill one on the way up before off to unload in the lorry. I think it was about 2 full loads from the Bin and the lorry was off.

Its only about 3 miles to Home Farm (the one with the big mound of barley outside) but the farm is divided by the A90, one of the busiest roads in Scotland, so logistcally it would be impossible to run tractors up and down there all day.

Last year they were running 1 combine and even then they had an Artic on haulage with the chaser running in the field.

These 2 560TTs are brand new this year following their decision not to purchase a 600. From what I gather the 600 was out-gunned by a wheeled 560 in wet straw when they had it on demo last year. Ah well. ::)

nice pics Phil. Had a pretty crap year for harvest pics myself. most is done while at work and i havent been on site much :( :( :(....on a positive note, i never got to see the old 1000 series JD combine ;)

theres a farm right on the A303 that use a couple of chaser bins for exactly that same reason , trying to get onto a single lane main road is no fun in the summer  the bins are pulled my big Case tractors but i have no idea what models they are , but they must 300hp +

[quote author=FB link=topic=9869.msg166javascript:void(0);

Cool507#msg166507 date=1155491879]

nice pics Phil. Had a pretty crap year for harvest pics myself. most is done while at work and i havent been on site much :( :( :(....on a positive note, i never got to see the old 1000 series JD combine ;)

Good pics!

Chaser bins havn't really caught on in my area yet.......one big outfit near me does up to 20 miles from home with tractors/trailers keeping a CR 980 going or trying to.

They're a relatively new thing round here TBH. First one I saw was in 2004. On the other hand using artics on haulage has been a fairly common practice at least since the mid 80s. Some small farms will hire one fill it then either take it straight to a merchant or back to the farm for drying depending on their set-up. While larger farms like Hatton were using them in 80s, mainly for OSR which I think was because they sold straight off the combines.